Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hall at FS, Start Cedric Griffin at Corner???

Renegade7

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

So far in this thread we have had posters calling for the benching of Hall, Wilson and Williams. It seems Doughty is safe.

Any suggestions who is going to start instead of Hall, Wilson and Williams?

Seriously I wil give you Williams - I will be surprised if he is starting Sunday. I expect Griffin and Hall to play some FS instead of Williams. But in the main the guys we have are the guys we have - the depth we have is hurt or not ready or frankly not even as good as the guys who are starting. We need to do better in terms of assignment discipline and recognition and we also need to get a pass rush.

Both of them were supposed to be covering Cruz at the same time. Wilson thought Williams was going to keep Cruz from getting behind him so he could foucs on staying between Cruz and Manning for a possible pick. That's typically how double coverage is supposed to work, squeeze the WR to make it less enticing for the QB to throw in that direction. By Williams letting Cruz get behind him, it became a foot race they both lost. He should've never been that close to the line of scrimage. Whether he was gambling or underestimated Cruz's speed doesn't matter. His job was to help Wilson and he did everything but that...

I understand the usual alignment of double coverage, but Williams reacted very emphatically to covering the potential outside route. it didn't even seem that covering the deep half was even an option, which is why it appeared odd. I came away with the impression that the defensive play call was designed for Williams to play the outside route, which of course leaves the vulnerability to the deep ball. I assumed it was an error on Haslett, and not Williams. It's difficult for me to accept that Williams botched his assignment so significantly, but I suppose that may be the case.

Both of them were supposed to be covering Cruz at the same time. Wilson thought Williams was going to keep Cruz from getting behind him so he could foucs on staying between Cruz and Manning for a possible pick. That's typically how double coverage is supposed to work, squeeze the WR to make it less enticing for the QB to throw in that direction. By Williams letting Cruz get behind him, it became a foot race they both lost. He should've never been that close to the line of scrimage. Whether he was gambling or underestimated Cruz's speed doesn't matter. His job was to help Wilson and he did everything but that...

I understand the usual alignment of double coverage, but Williams reacted very emphatically to covering the potential outside route. it didn't even seem that covering the deep half was even an option, which is why it appeared odd. I came away with the impression that the defensive play call was designed for Williams to play the outside route, which of course leaves the vulnerability to the deep ball. I assumed it was an error on Haslett, and not Williams. It's difficult for me to accept that Williams botched his assignment so significantly, but I suppose that may be the case.

---------- Post added October-24th-2012 at 03:19 PM ----------

Not quite. Williams in that coverage has responsibility for the deep route - he read Eli taking a 3 step drop and anticipated the outside route and stayed flat. Cant do that if you are the FS in that game situation. The Giants had seen that on film and game planned for it - it also says a lot about our pass rush that the Giants were comfortable knowing they could protect on a 3 step drop with a deep shot called.

hmm, I'm getting smoked by every poster on ES about this. Perhaps I should watch the game/play again..

---------- Post added October-24th-2012 at 04:42 AM ----------

Just for the record, Wilson was the one that got beat on that bomb yesterday. I actually think Hall has done a pretty good job and Griffin would not be an upgrade over him at all.

not sure Josh Wilson should be making statements that he is the fastest on the field anymore

This isn't Madden where you can just stick a CB in at FS and expect good play.

Funny because that's exactly what we did to Troy Vincent, and it has happened before in cases like Ronnie Lott. If you lose your speed but can still cover, safety is not an unusual spot to see cornerback go to.

I'm willing to see the Skins try anything but the same ole same ole........

This pass defense group is just not going to get better as the season progresses. Maybe week 11- with Meriweather..but I'm still not sure I trust him.

Coverage, especially deep coverage is not Merriweathers strong suit.

Aaron Rouse is sitting here in Norfolk, Virginia- unemployed. He's 6'4", 227lb. safety who played for the Destroyers in the UFL. He also played for the Giants, Cards, and Packers. He had three interceptions in last year's UFL Championship win. He would definitely be an upgrade over Williams.

Archived