Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll on Morris Setting Rookie Record

MustangSteve

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Click Link for More http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Morris-An-Improbable-Redskins-Hero/07623f93-4fcf-41ce-bd9a-a00146b49541F

After a great write up and thread yesterday by murf, it seems we might have a stud in our backfield. Do you think Morris will break any rookie records this season after seeing the pace he's already on? If he doesn't get hurt then I think he will break all Redskins rookie records and thats saying a lot how Ricky Ervins played his rookie year.

On a note: No running back in the 75 years since has come within two yards per carry of Feathers' record. 10) Jim Taylor, Packers, 1962. 272 carries, 1,474 yards, 19 TD, ...

On this day in 1965, the rookie running back Gale Sayers of the Chicago Bears scores six touchdowns ... NFL rookie Gale Sayers ties single-game TD record ...

DeMarco Murray, RB, Cowboys ... The rookie out of Oklahoma owns a single-game rushing record previously held by Hall of Famers Emmitt ... 25 carries for 115 yards and two TDs, as well as with five catches for 119 yards and a 78-yard TD.

Ricky Ervins was drafted in 1991 by the Washington Redskins out of the University of Southern California. His best game that year came against the Browns. Coach Gibbs put Ricky in the third quarter to "spark" the team. He not only gave them a spark, he exploded, amassing 133 yards on 13 carries, with 2 touchdowns. Ricky led all NFC rookies in rushing and had the best yards per carry among all NFC rushers, at 4.7 yards. He is one of only six Redskins to gain over 100 yards in a playoff game. His rookie year was capped off by contributing to the Washington win in Super Bowl XXVI with 72 yards on 13 carries - the games leading rusher. Ricky played five years in the NFL; four years with the Washington Redskins and one year with the San Francisco 49ers.

I love Morris - he's been an absolute stud and I still think he is very underrated by several in the media, but certainly not all. He's on pace for just shy of 1600 yards and 16 TD's...I don't think he'll get there with the TD's but does anyone know what the NFL's rookie rushing record is for yards?

Edit: Dickerson had 1808 in 1983...don't see Morris topping that record but he certainly has a shot at being the the record hold for most rushing yards in a season as he's on pace for it right now. This week will be another big test for him against Minnesota's stout run defense. I think it's important to note two things in terms of that though: 1) RG3 is playing so it will keep the defense honest and 2) Morris racked up his first 100+ yard game against the Bucs who, I believe, were #1 in the league against the run at the time.

He's been pretty close to breaking a couple so far this year. He's fun to watch. Real quick when he makes up his mind. I laughed this past Sunday when the announcers were talking about him and Shanahan. Said that you know he runs north and south because...he wouldn't be playing for the Shanahans if he started running east and west. So true.

Man, if Mike & Kyle keep utilizing Morris as they have been the first quarter of the season, then I do think Morris has a good shot at breaking the record. We were all silently awaiting the day when RGIII would take his first killer hit – it has come, and hopefully, the repercussions have passed. We need to rely to Alfred to set up the juicy goodness that is the playaction pass.

Redskins Rookie Records

Mike Thomas - 1975 - 235 att

Riggie Brooks - 1993 - 1,063 yards

Skip Hicks - 1998 - 8 rush TD

NFL Rookie Records

Eric Dickerson - 1983 - 390 att, 1,808 yards, 18 TD

Al'Mo thru 5 games- 100 att, 491 yards, 4 TD

I think rushing TD is the only NFL record he might pass, but he'll easily be the best Redskins' rookie if the keeps up this pace. That's good enough for me.

Please break Brooks and Hicks' records. Both those guys were East-West RBs who couldn't keep the chains moving. Seeing them owning any franchise records is most disturbing.

If his health allows, I think we will see Morris at the top of all the rookie RB lists for us.

I was shocked to see he was a LB, no wonder he's such a tough runner.If the guy was faster we would have a gem at the RB position, but he's still a good one for sure.

He breaks tackles he likes to truck and hit people.

I said the same thing last weekend, "if this guy had break away speed," lookout :yikes:

My favorite thing about Morris is that he ALWAYS falls forward. Always.

I think he smashes our rookie records, but falls comfortably short of Dickerson. I'd say 1450 yards, and 12 TDs. And I cut him a little short on the TDs, just because of Griffin's ability in the redzone.

Suffice it to say that I'm thrilled with the kid.

He breaks tackles he likes to truck and hit people.

I said the same thing last weekend, "if this guy had break away speed," lookout :yikes:

He's actually pretty fast too. It'd be asking too much for him to have it all. The only running back in the NFL that can truck people like he does AND have true break away speed is Adrian Peterson. I think Morris is kind of a Michael Turner or poor man's Trent Richardson (I mean that with all due respect). They are quick, they truck people, and most of the time won't be caught from behind. But they are not 4.3 guys like AP and McFadden.

He's actually pretty fast too. It'd be asking too much for him to have it all. The only running back in the NFL that can truck people like he does AND have true break away speed is Adrian Peterson. I think Morris is kind of a Michael Turner or poor man's Trent Richardson (I mean that with all due respect). They are quick, they truck people, and most of the time won't be caught from behind. But they are not 4.3 guys like AP and McFadden.

I like the Turner comparison...best I've heard so far.

Not NFL records, there are guys who just had amazing years and ran up the stats as rookies.

I can't really find a bunch of rookie records, but I was able to find Redskins all time rushing records for a single season, and he actually doesn't stack up too badly.

Still he's on pace for an amazing season. One record he has a chance, at his current pace, to crack, is the Redskins single season yards record. Portis set it at 1516 across 16 games averaging 94.8 yards a game. Morris is averaging 98 yards a game, so he has a chance to beat that.

I also think he has a chance to beat the Skins record for yards per game, IF you assume a minimum of 10 games. Lionel Vitel had 115 yards per game, but only played in 3 games. Larry Brown was at 101.3 ypg playing in 12 games. Morris has cracked 100 yards in both of the past two games, and if he keeps it up he might pull his average above Brown's.

He isn't going to break attempts, which is something like 370, he's averaging around 20-21 carries a game which only gets him to somewhere around 330. He's probably not breaking TDs either, 24 by Riggo is 1.5 a game across 16 games, and Morris is averaging just under 1. I suppose he could take off, getting 2 a game from here on out, but it's really doubtful.

There are also some more out there records he could go for, for example, highest ypc average on greater than 100 carries. Greatest ypc on more than 100 carries is 5.4 yards. Currently, Morris just hit 100 carries and is sitting at 4.9 ypc. If he continues having games like the Falcons game, rushing for 110+ on around 20 carries, it's possible he might top it.

If he keeps up his 4.9 ypc, he might have the highest ypc of any Skins back with greater than 200 carries, but he needs another 100 carries before that counts.

Redskins Rookie Records

Mike Thomas - 1975 - 235 att

Riggie Brooks - 1993 - 1,063 yards

Skip Hicks - 1998 - 8 rush TD

NFL Rookie Records

Eric Dickerson - 1983 - 390 att, 1,808 yards, 18 TD

Al'Mo thru 5 games- 100 att, 491 yards, 4 TD

I think rushing TD is the only NFL record he might pass, but he'll easily be the best Redskins' rookie if the keeps up this pace. That's good enough for me.

I really hope he breaks all of them. In recent history, aka...last year, Roy Helu posted 151 carries for 640 yards and 2 TD's. Now Helu also had 379 receiving yards, since he was a big checkdown/screen threat. So Morris could surpass Helu's rushing numbers in 2 or 3 games, and his yards from scrimmage in 5 or 6 games.

Skip Hicks. What a blast from the past. LOL Maybe he's in shape?

I really hope he's not. haha

I really hope he breaks all of them. In recent history, aka...last year, Roy Helu posted 151 carries for 640 yards and 2 TD's. Now Helu also had 379 receiving yards, since he was a big checkdown/screen threat. So Morris could surpass Helu's rushing numbers in 2 or 3 games, and his yards from scrimmage in 5 or 6 games.

I had high hopes for Helu, but that seems to have passed now. Maybe he'll be our recieving threat RB next year... *shrug*

I also hopes he can set new records for our RBs. He's talented and seems to have the drive to be "the guy" at the position, so that's promising.

Redskins rookie records have a pretty low bar. 235 attempts, little over 1k yards, and only 8 TDs doesn't make for a particularly high bar. Morris is on pace for the first by 12 games, 2nd one by 11 games, and 3rd one by 10 games. We'll have to see if he keeps it up, but if he continues at his current clip he should hit all three, and have a good shot at some of the all time Redskin records.

Archived