Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll on Morris Setting Rookie Record

MustangSteve

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Well, he is certainly on pace to destroy Redskin rookie RB records.....don't know how close he will get to Dickerson he will get, though. Remember, in 1975 there were 2 less games.....so that record is kind of amazing in itself that we have not had a rookie RB beat that mark.

Morris is a pleasant suprise....and with the injuries to our other RB's, definitely a much needed asset.

While Morris has looked outstanding, his success is directly related to this misdirection offense installed to maximize RG3's abilities. If the offense is forced to "pack it in" it will be a different story.

So far Morris seems to be the perfect fit. Another Shanahan RB success story.

While Morris has looked outstanding, his success is directly related to this misdirection offense installed to maximize RG3's abilities. If the offense is forced to "pack it in" it will be a different story.

Absolutely. However, he is also a legitimately better pure runner in this scheme than Torain, Hightower, Royster, and Helu.

I don't know if you'd see a huge drop off without RGIII or in a different system. Certainly he is perfect for our system, but looking at his skill set, the one thing he lacks is speed, and even there he's not really slow. I've always felt vision and power were more important than pure speed. Helu has speed, but his vision isn't great and he falls over the moment he's hit.

If you've got a player with solid vision who can find the gaps and can hit them, and take a few hits and keep going, then you've got a guy who will succeed in a fair number of situations. Maybe not Emmit Smith, Terrell Davis levels of success, of certainly a few good years. And hopefully, if we keep the system friendly to Morris, many good years.

If you've got a player with solid vision who can find the gaps and can hit them, and take a few hits and keep going, then you've got a guy who will succeed in a fair number of situations. Maybe not Emmit Smith, Terrell Davis levels of success, of certainly a few good years. And hopefully, if we keep the system friendly to Morris, many good years.

FWIW, through the first five games, Morris is outpacing Davis:

TD: 66 rushes, 287 yards (4.34 ypc), 3 TDs, 19 receptions, 156 yards (8.21 ypr), 1 TD - 85 touches, 443 yards (5.21 ypt), 4 TD

AM: 100 rushes, 491 yards (4.91 ypc), 4 TDs, 2 receptions, 16 yards (8 ypr), 0 TD - 102 touches, 507 yards (4.97 ypt), 4 TDs

FWIW, through the first five games, Morris is outpacing Davis:

TD: 66 rushes, 287 yards (4.34 ypc), 3 TDs, 19 receptions, 156 yards (8.21 ypr), 1 TD - 85 touches, 443 yards (5.21 ypt), 4 TD

AM: 100 rushes, 491 yards (4.91 ypc), 4 TDs, 2 receptions, 16 yards (8 ypr), 0 TD - 102 touches, 507 yards (4.97 ypt), 4 TDs

You know, I threw Smith and Davis up there just as examples of guys with longer term success, but it occurs to me Davis was a Shanahan back as well. It might have made more sense to say Emmit Smith and Jim Brown. Guys with success who lasted a long time.

Either way, Morris is a beast and could probably succeed in a bunch of different systems. He's similar in a lot of ways to Foster, who went undrafted, and then lo and behold, grew up to be the consensus #1 2012 fantasy football pick. And a pretty decent rb too, I guess.

I like the Turner comparison...best I've heard so far.

He's faster than Turner is or was.

---------- Post added October-11th-2012 at 12:52 AM ----------

On a side note, Alfred Morris will become the first Redskins, if this continues, since 2006 to have a 1000 yard season and at least a 4.0 yard per carry average.

2006 - Ladell Betts

2007- Portis averaged 3.9 yds/carry

Portis had almost 1500 yards in 08 on a 4.3 avg

Have you seens the schedule? It gets very tough down the stretch. If you have him in a fantasy league, sell high. ;)

Perhaps, but a lot of people said the same thing before the Bucs game, and then he single-handedly dropped them from 1st rushing defense in the league to 4th. I'm going to take my chances on the kid, especially considering how insanely difficult it is to find decent RBs nowadays.

Most attempts, rookie, season: 390, Eric Dickerson, 1983

Most yards gained, rookie, season: 1,808 Eric Dickerson, 1983

Most rushing touchdowns, rookie, season: 18, Eric Dickerson, 1983

Maybe attempts but I don't see anyone ever touching E.D.'s '83 season

Yea that's just ridiculous!
Absolutely. However, he is also a legitimately better pure runner in this scheme than Torain, Hightower, Royster, and Helu.
Squating over 600 lbs has got to be that difference. If Kyle would start using RG's arm and attacking a secondary, it's only going to open up more long runs for Morris. I really got heated last week watching the Atlanta game because we took no shots like we should have after Morris had the defense's complete attention. I felt like we tried to get cute when we should of attacked. Lets see how the rest of this season plays out, we need to have more faith in our receivers and see what they can do. either make plays or goodbye!

I definitely underestimated him. He has staying power. People should start bringing in those runaway downhill 18 wheeler signs to the game, because that is exactly what he runs like. You are simply not going to tackle this dude on first contact. Hopefully he keeps it up. The only issue with him will be the cumulative hits adding up as we get into the latter portion of the season. If he can stay relatively healthy, and stay around his current level of production, then I think he can easily crack 1300 yards, maybe even 1500 if he can string together some 120+ yard games.

I definitely underestimated him. He has staying power. People should start bringing in those runaway downhill 18 wheeler signs to the game, because that is exactly what he runs like. You are simply not going to tackle this dude on first contact. Hopefully he keeps it up. The only issue with him will be the cumulative hits adding up as we get into the latter portion of the season. If he can stay relatively healthy, and stay around his current level of production, then I think he can easily crack 1300 yards, maybe even 1500 if he can string together some 120+ yard games.

Wasn't he on a team that won one game last year? :ols:

I bet this is gravy for the kid now, if that's the case. :ols:

Archived