Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Redskins.com: Griffin III Called Plays On Final Drive

flexxskins

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Griffin-III-Called-Plays-On-Final-Drive/284e5273-a9aa-4cb8-8a5c-5023d5fffab6

The best way to handle adversity in a game is to practice overcoming adversity during the week.

That’s what Robert Griffin III discovered on Sunday evening, as he took the field for the game-winning drive and realized that the headset in his helmet was not communicating with offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan.

This is a panic-worthy scenario for any player, especially a rookie running his first NFL 2-minute drill. Good thing the Redskins prepared for this exact situation in practice.

“Every week, we always practice me calling the plays [as if] the headset has gone out,” Griffin explained. “The funny thing is, the headset did go out on that drive.

“It was neat how that practice scenario played out in the game. You don’t want that to happen, but I was pleased.”

The radio line of communication between play-caller and quarterback is a relatively new-fangled system in professional football, with honest technical difficulties and “technical difficulties” forcing teams to get creative.

Precisely what Griffin III and the Redskins did on that drive.

With 1:42 remaining on the clock and only one timeout, the Redskins marched methodically downfield, only needing to spike the ball once and saving the final timeout for the game-winning field goal.

Griffin III could be seen running back to the Redskins sideline from the huddle, where he was able to communicate with Shanahan.

When the game clock was rolling and there was no time to communicate, Griffin III took control of the huddle and called his own plays, including a 15-yard scramble to put the team in field goal range.

His confidence was buoyed by a pep talk from veteran quarterback Rex Grossman during the Bucs’ final drive that resulted in a long field goal to take the lead.

As anxiety mounted on the visiting sidelines, Grossman reminded him that Griffin III was the man for the job.

"Before they kicked their field goal, I was talking to Rex on the sideline," he recalled, "and he kept saying 'You want him to make this so you can take this team down the field and win.'"

Grossman’s prediction proved prophetic, as Griffin III connected a perfect four-for-four for 46 yards, confidently working the middle of the field and hitting receivers for 20- and 15-yard gains.

“It’s just like in the movie, The Replacements,” he said with a grin. “’Winners want the ball in their hands when it’s crunch time.’ It’s funny that I just quoted that movie, but it’s also how really is.

"You want the ball in your hands when something has to happen, and you make it happen. You try to rise to the occasion.”

And that's why you keep Grossman around. Not that I think RG3 needed it to go out and do what he did, but it can't hurt.

Awesome about practicing for this scenario. The Shanahans are preparing him for everything they can. Love it.

And that's why you keep Grossman around. Not that I think RG3 needed it to go out and do what he did, but it can't hurt.

Awesome about practicing for this scenario. The Shanahans are preparing him for everything they can. Love it.

Yes, sir. Although as another ES member said, "It's a little bit scary that Rex actually thinks that way". :ols:

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Griffin-III-Called-Plays-On-Final-Drive/284e5273-a9aa-4cb8-8a5c-5023d5fffab6

When the game clock was rolling and there was no time to communicate, Griffin III took control of the huddle and called his own plays, including a 15-yard scramble to put the team in field goal range.

Well there's the answer. Next time we need one of those drives (and you know we will), take away Kyles headphones.

Glad the radio breakdown came back to bite the Bucs in their ***

That's great to hear about Rex. I also supported that guy and was glad we resigned him to help teach Robert the system. Amazing its only been four games, my expectations and optimism while our offense is on field is as if Roberts been back there for years. Amazing.

am i the only one that finds it to be a unique set of circumstances that the communications went out during the most pivotal drive of the game??

Haha maybe it didn't go out and RG III was pretending and wanted to take matters into his own hands.

zxcvzfjnlgkaehbrlkajnvearnvailb

Is there anything this man can't do??? i have been impressed on like 3-4 separate occasions already... in just FOUR games.

-I CONSTANTLY see him clapping it up in the huddle, play-after-play. There is no doubt who is the leader of this team.

-Got the Buc's offsides 2-3x today w/ t/he hard count.

-He's taking BIG hits and bounces right back up, HUSTLE.

-How ridiculous is this kids release? He's fleeing the pocket towards the top of the screen, seemingly still going through his progressions, THEN throwing DARTS, across his body... on the MF'IN $$$.

-Holds on to the ball AND throws it away. (Worth noting he's throw more than one ball that should have been picked, so 1 INT isn't painting the full picture IMO, but he's a rookie.)

-In the mix, arguing/pleading w/ the ref's to get calls. (People talk about how Tom Brady "flops" all the time or how he's such a ***** cause he tries to get the calls. PART OF THE GAME IMO.)

And now, you're telling me he was calling some of the plays on the game winning drive IN HIS FOURTH GAME?? It almost sounds too good to be true, but I've been hip to this kid. Before we traded up, before he won the Heisman... Not a brag ,or any shyt like that, I'm just saying, this guy is the real deal--it's NOT a fluke. His potential isn't even being fully tapped yet. His athletic ability + his football IQ is uncharted territory, even in the NFL--he is not Cam Newton, he is better.

I'm not tryna be all super-smacked......duuuurrrrr high on him, NFC East this, Super Bowl that. I'm just saying, we have a REAL franchise QB. I keep saying it over and over again and it feels GREAT. We have plenty of work to do, but if you're not excited to have Griff here... you're not a real person. He might not make us instant contenders for a World Championship, but we are no longer a laughing stock--"easy W". RG3 gonna make us make you beast us.

I am liking all the quotes from Grossman; it certainly didn't hurt to keep him around. And that is definitely impressive for a rookie in his 4th game. As he gets more rapport with his existing receivers in games and years to come, he will likely have more opportunities like this.

Ladies and Gentlemen, WE HAVE OURSELVES A QB!!!

'nuff said.

We certainly do - its quite a nice feeling isn't it!

I was actually really calm watching the last dive knowing - not hoping knowing - we would get into FG range. Now watching the FG attempt was a whole different story!

"RG3 brushes off headset malfunction in 'Skins' win; Santana Moss suspects Bucs sabotage."

"And the headset inside Robert Griffin III's helmet went out. Robert Griffin ran for a score and threw for more than 300 yards on Sunday against Tampa. (AP)

His head coach, Mike Shanahan, called it "miscommunication." His wide receiver, Santana Moss, called it something else.

"Happens every time," Moss said after the game. "No lie. I've been in the league 12 years, I've been in plenty of games, and the home team goes, 'Oh well.' " Then he mimicked yanking an imaginary plug out of a wall."

1) Grossman seems to know what should happen in the game, but he can't necessarily do it himself. I eat crow on not just cutting him outright.

2) I don't understand how, this many years later, headsets go out. Ever. Have a back-up helmet. Have a real IT crew. The headset should *NEVER* go out.

after watching us lost last 2 games painfully, its refreshing to see us score in a do or die situation with less than 2 min. Rg3 matched down the field and our guys kicked 3 points to win. This is confidence building. The last thing we want is to see us lost 3 games in a roll. Now we have something to build on for next weekend... For me, comm lost between sideline and rg3 is a good thing for everyone in 2 minutes drill. Rg3 make the call and no translating or 2nd guessing, he can call the best play he believe in and no time lost in waiting for Kyle in the side line.

I just wish He would've slid on that last play. He's just such a gamer though. He always fights for the extra yard.

If he slid on that last play, Cundiff misses the field goal. It went through the cross bars by inches. We needed every blade of grass Robert was able to get.

Archived