Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Rob Jackson make Orakpo expendable?

authentic

The one thing that sticks out to me about Rak is that offenses have to game plan for him. It's a real reason why his production has been down. Finally, we get another pass rusher to compliment him and we can't even see them play a season together. I love RJax, but in my opinion he is no Orakpo.

The one thing that sticks out to me about Rak is that offenses have to game plan for him. It's a real reason why his production has been down. Finally, we get another pass rusher to compliment him and we can't even see them play a season together. I love RJax, but in my opinion he is no Orakpo.

THIS. While I fully believe Rob is a capable OLB he isn't going to be someone defenses plan for. I expect him to have quite a bit of success early on if he really is at least average. Defenses won't know what to suspect. These next few weeks will be his best chance to shine. When defenses begin to adjust to him, and gameplan for him we can truly ascertain what kind of value we have with him. If we were running a traditional 4-3 I think we'd be able to really maximize our pass rush opportunities... Rak-Jenkins-Cofield-Kerrigan with Rob-London-Riley in the back.

Actually on the contrary....look I know the topic is about Orakpo. But I actually think with Jackson emerging, this could make London Fletcher expendable. He's much bigger than Fletch, he can play the pass better than Fletch, and he does know the defense. Jackson was drafted by us and it'll be great if he can replace Fletch. He's only in his 4th year so he could be a long term solution as an ILB.

Orakpo/Kerrigan are a dual threat. Honestly I wouldn't like to see one without the other.

:helmet:

Jenkings is just better. The amount of rush he's getting is right on point. LOL Carriker is what he is a very good back up ...But He'll never start over Jenkings again unless Jenkings gets injured.. FACT!!!!!

JARVINGS JENKINGS!!!

Championship.

To stay on topic, what happens if Jackson gets injured and Rak is gone? We need Orakpo as our starter, and a capable backup behind him.

Asking the very question is exactly why fans should not be running a team until they actually have some sort of experience (even a simulation) in running a team. You cannot field a team with only quality starters and **** depth because when the starter goes down, that **** depth is going to cost you games. If we get rid of Orakpo and let Jackson become the starter, who is backing up Jackson? Exactly. An unknown who might be good, mediocre, or a complete liability.

Although the sack total is the main objective of a pass rusher, there are plenty of other facets that determine their success. Defenses prepare for Rak. He gets a lot of pressure and some double teams. Just because he isn't getting DeMarcus Ware sack totals doesnt mean he is expendable. From what I noticed, it seemed like he improved his coverage this year so far. Kerrigan is a baller and I love what he brings to the table, but some of his success has been attributed to the pressure that Rak was getting from the other side. I liked that Rob Jackson was able to get an INT for a TD though. It seems like whenever Rak had the ball in his hands he dropped it. I hope Rak comes back healthy and has a great contract year in 2013.

JARVINGS JENKINGS!!!

Championship.

To stay on topic, what happens if Jackson gets injured and Rak is gone? We need Orakpo as our starter, and a capable backup behind him.

Okay is this suppose to be sarcasm? Cause if you really think AC is going to better than JJ in the future,I'll just laugh and save a seat for you on the wagon when JJ is one of the top players on our team. You think MS was high on him for no reason? lol silly fans

I still have belt marks on my ass from posting something like the OP last year... lol... but hey... I was right about Landry... I was right about Cooley... and I'm pretty sure I'm right about Orakpo.

FWIW... I said that there would be a drop off... Orakpo is a better player, but as I have said, Orakpo is a B+ player and Rob Jackson is a B player. Not a huge drop off, but a drop off.

Was I the only one frustrated for Rak that in on just about the first play Jackson was in he gets a pick-6 in place of Rak?

---------- Post added September-26th-2012 at 01:11 PM ----------

I still have belt marks on my ass from posting something like the OP last year... lol... but hey... I was right about Landry... I was right about Cooley... and I'm pretty sure I'm right about Orakpo.

FWIW... I said that there would be a drop off... Orakpo is a better player, but as I have said, Orakpo is a B+ player and Rob Jackson is a B player. Not a huge drop off, but a drop off.

What were you "right" about with Landry and Cooley?

Asking the very question is exactly why fans should not be running a team until they actually have some sort of experience (even a simulation) in running a team. You cannot field a team with only quality starters and **** depth because when the starter goes down, that **** depth is going to cost you games. If we get rid of Orakpo and let Jackson become the starter, who is backing up Jackson? Exactly. An unknown who might be good, mediocre, or a complete liability.

That's the whole point. You flip your good players for picks or let them walk for compensatory picks. You refill the pipelines with talent so that when the top guy goes, the 2nd string guy is ready to step up and repeat the whole process. What you don't do is lock up 28 year-olds to long-term deals with lots of guaranteed money unless they are absolute superstars.

Competent FOs know that they can refill the pipeline. Incompetent FOs shutter at the thought of losing their "home grown talent" and instead sign them to big contracts. I don't think Orakpo has shown himself to be a superstar level talent - I think Chris Wilson rushes the passer more effectively and the jury is still out whether Rob Jackson plays the run and covers better. If our FO is as good as people here seem to think they are, it should let Orakpo walk.

Okay is this suppose to be sarcasm? Cause if you really think AC is going to better than JJ in the future,I'll just laugh and save a seat for you on the wagon when JJ is one of the top players on our team. You think MS was high on him for no reason? lol silly fans

No, I think he's mocking you cause you keep on spelling Jenkins name wrong. It's Jenkins, not JenkinGs.

:secret: He's making fun of the way you persistently misspelled the dude's name.

Lets get real here.....Jenkings MIGHT be a replaement over Carriker....but he has no where near showed me that he should be replacing Carriker at this time. I will be glad next year when Carriker is back unless this defense somehow gets its stuff together.

In one game he's out played him already,AC is never going to start again ,unless JJ is injured. He's just more of a talent,and frankly the better player

No, it's not supposed to be sarcasm. I think Jenkins will be better than Carriker. Learn how to spell his name while defending him, or just stick to JJ.

That's the whole point. You flip your good players for picks or let them walk for compensatory picks. You refill the pipelines with talent so that when the top guy goes, the 2nd string guy is ready to step up and repeat the whole process. What you don't do is lock up 28 year-olds to long-term deals with lots of guaranteed money unless they are absolute superstars.

Competent FOs know that they can refill the pipeline. Incompetent FOs shutter at the thought of losing their "home grown talent" and instead sign them to big contracts. I don't think Orakpo has shown himself to be a superstar level talent - I think Chris Wilson rushes the passer more effectively and the jury is still out whether Rob Jackson plays the run and covers better. If our FO is as good as people here seem to think they are, it should let Orakpo walk.

This is a Madden mentality I'm sorry...Orakpo is top 3 guy on our D. You just don't flip your best guys after one good game by the back up.

Right now, it looks like you weren't right about Landry. I'd wait a little longer before tooting your own horn on that one.

There is also no way in God's green creation Orakpo is only a B+ if Jackson constitutes a B.

Archived