Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Rob Jackson make Orakpo expendable?

authentic

I've been high on Jackson since 2008, but what are you thinking? We need depth and Jackson is just that. Maybe he can compete at other LB spots (I think he was originally drafted as an OLB, not a DE. How would the transistion to MLB be for him?). Otherwise we can keep him as depth. We need pass rushers. Always. Thats like the most important thing on defense (at least in my opinion). So I'd say keep as many of those guys as possible.

Any idea what the trade value would be for a young Pro Bowl LB coming off a non-career threatening injury might be? Do we have any recent trades to benchmark it to? Alternatively, could we reasonably expect a 3rd round compensatory pick to be allotted to us if we keep Orakpo next year but let another team sign him to bookoo bucks as a FA?

Mario Williams had a torn pec last year and got a ridiculous deal with Buffalo. The Bills were trying to change their culture and I think they overpaid, but that deal is out there for a similar player. I also think Williams is marginally better than Orakpo, but its safe to say that this injury, in and of itself does not scare teams off or depress contract values.

As others have mentioned we have too little a sample size for Jackson to consider moving on from Rak. Come December I'll have a better answer for you but at this point I think this discussion is a bit premature. For sake of discussion, if hypothetically, RJax gets 8-10 sacks continues to play the run real well, and make progress in his coverage drops I would not be opposed to exploring trade options for Rak (draft picks only, IMO).

I'm dealing mostly with hypotheticals at this point. nothing's definitive.. just an inquiry.

Yeah, i'm trying to be as objective as possible, and hold everything in its proper context. All i'm saying is that

1. through his first 3 full seasons, Rak has not lived up to his full potential as a game-changing, top tier OLB/pass rusher.

2. "IF" RJax continues to produce as he did vs Cincy, IMO, we should explore our options with Rak in the offseason.. Actually we probably should regardless.

But you are not being objective, IMO. You are being reactionary about a player who was 1/11 of a defense that gave up 38 points to the Bengals. As much as I want to see Rob Jackson succeed, he is 26 year old with 19 career tackles over 4 years. He was in the right place at the right time, held onto the ball, and fell in the endzone. I'm just saying that we should just reign it in a bit.

Maybe Orakpo hasn't lived up to his potential (in your eyes). But remember, he was a pin-his-ears-back 4-3 Defensive End as a Longhorn and converted to a 3-4 OLB during his first professional Summer. An OLB has much different responsibilities than to just rush the passer and he still had 11, 8.5, and 9 sacks. Someone said Fletcher was the best player on the Defense. Maybe today, but he is also among the oldest non-kicking starters in the NFL (behind only Ray Lewis, IIRC). How much more do you think Fletch has in the tank? Orakpo is just as much a leader on this team as Fletcher is.

Secondly, based on your reasoning to trade Orakpo, getting a 1st or 2nd for him is a pipedream. In other words, say you are in the Redskin's front office and you (will all due respect) don't think he is living up to his potential as a "game-changing, top tier OLB/pass rusher." What do you think other teams think of him? My guess is a conditional 4th at best.

At the end of the day, It is my non-expert opinion that talking trade of Orakpo based on a single - albeit solid - game from a supposed depth guy is jumping the gun...Lets see a bit more, shall we.

I've been high on Jackson since 2008, but what are you thinking? We need depth and Jackson is just that. Maybe he can compete at other LB spots (I think he was originally drafted as an OLB, not a DE. How would the transistion to MLB be for him?). Otherwise we can keep him as depth. We need pass rushers. Always. Thats like the most important thing on defense (at least in my opinion). So I'd say keep as many of those guys as possible.

From what i remember, i think Rob was drafted as a DE and converted to OLB..

Yeah... It sucks that we let all our productive DB's get away.... Landry, Rogers, Clark, and I would even throw in Fred Smoot. Now we are left with scraps. As for now it looks like getting rid of Landry was a big mistake. I thought we should have franchised the guy and given him one more season to prove that he could stay healthy. I think we need a better defensive coordinator who can also draft defensive players. Haslett needs to be replaced.

It's because we're always looking for the gem and never appreciate our own mid level talent. Unless Rogers was Champ Bailey, our fanbase was eager to call him a bust. Unless Landry was Sean Taylor, our fanbase was eager to call him a bust. Unless Trent Williams is Chris Samuels, our fanbase is eager to call him a bust. Unless Orakpo is DeMarcus Ware, our fanbase is eager to call him a bust.

A big argument for getting rid of those guys that we lost was also that they would command too much money. Not one of them has done that, yet we still see the same theory repeated with our players until they all get ran out of town.

First of all allow me to introduce you all to a word known as depth. It seems that Redskins fans have forgotten this word. What do the world champion Giants do when they lose a pass rusher? They ask tell the one on the bench to get in the game. If Rob Jackson proves to be anywhere near Orakpo overall than having both of them is a blessing.

One note of caution however is that Rob Jackson has been here for a long time and hasn't claimed a starting role. He arrived before Orakpo and Kerrigan and was on the roster at a time when OLB was a position of need. He had several years to claim a starting spot and for whatever reasons, could not. That makes me cautious about declaring him the on par to one of out defenses top 3 players.

Also, I'd like to ask why people are already saying Kerrigan is better than Orakpo? Kerrigan is a great player, high motor and all, but quite a few times I've seen Kerrigan get sacks because Orakpo chases the QB his direction. What is it that makes Kerrigan better?

At this time, the answer to the OP's question is no.

Jackson hasn't shown enough to be considered Rak's replacement yet. Even if he did, GHH hit the nail on the head, our LB corp will be shaken up in a couple years when Fletcher retires, so there's no need to mess with it and make us more shallow at the position.

Let Rak come back next year and play, and we'll see how he does. If we have to let him go in FA, for whatever reason, then we do, though I think ultimately he'll get a new contract here.

I love Orakpo I think he is one of our better players. I do not think that he is overrated as many people think. But if Rob plays well or as good as Orakpo then I would say yes. Seems like this injury could becoming recurring. But we wont know till the season is over. one game is not enough of a sample size to determine.

and by expendable i assume you mean trade him for a minimum of a 2nd rounder + more.

by no means to I think he should ever just be released. Way to good and way to valuable for that road.

I completely agree. He looks promising though. Hate to say it, but converting 'Rak to a 3-4 OLB is looking similar to Andre Carter.

This is so far from the truth. Andre Carter couldn't do ANYTHING in the 3-4 could not put pressure on. Couldn't cover, couldn't set the edge. Rak does all of those things

Unless Rob Jackson has 15 sacks and is dominant then no. Even if has a similar year production wise Rak's ceiling is much higher. Why is it that every time it looks as if we have a good back-up we want to "TRADEZZ THE STARTA FOR DE PICKSS" and FYI I believe Orakpo was in the top 10 when you combine sacks hurries and hits over how many times he actually rushed. On top of that he is good in coverage especially for a 3-4 LB.. he is good in space and he is great against the run. Seriously I am tired of our homegrown talent walking and shining elsewhere. He may not have a signature late game 4th quarter sack fumble but he does have games where he is a force and makes the QB uncomfortable even if he isn't getting home for the sack

Nobody on the team makes Orakpo expendable. I'm surprised this is even a thread considering the defense's struggles after Orakpo went down.

I find the persistent criticism of Orakpo odd. He's been one of the best players on the team and best players at his position in the league the first three years of his career.

Redskins fans often fail to realize when they've got a good thing.

It's because we're always looking for the gem and never appreciate our own mid level talent. Unless Rogers was Champ Bailey, our fanbase was eager to call him a bust. Unless Landry was Sean Taylor, our fanbase was eager to call him a bust. Unless Trent Williams is Chris Samuels, our fanbase is eager to call him a bust. Unless Orakpo is DeMarcus Ware, our fanbase is eager to call him a bust.

A big argument for getting rid of those guys that we lost was also that they would command too much money. Not one of them has done that, yet we still see the same theory repeated with our players until they all get ran out of town.

I was pissed they didn't re-sign Carlos. My posting history will show that. I know he had the dropsies, but he was the best overall corner we had. Trent is damn good when healthy, but I hope he doesn't become one of those inury prone players. I think people are still pissed about his suspension and rightfully so.

Never liked Landry for various reasons. Didn't expect him to be Taylor.

Love 'Rak, but I think he's better suited for the 4-3. Is there a problem with thinking that?

I also think that some 'skins fans have become too soft and too forgiven when it comes to our players. Case in point? Landry. He was what, the 5th or 6th pick? He never lived up to that pick. He had a stretch of games in '10, but that's it. We have had nice players with our 1st round pciks recently. It would be nice if one of them would have a bigger impact then they have considering they were 1st rounders with some being very high 1st rounders.

BTW. Yes, I know III appears to be that guy that finally lives up to the billing, but I'm leaving him out of the equation being that he's only three games into what should be an illustrous career.

This is so far from the truth. Andre Carter couldn't do ANYTHING in the 3-4 could not put pressure on. Couldn't cover, couldn't set the edge. Rak does all of those things

Unless Rob Jackson has 15 sacks and is dominant then no. Even if has a similar year production wise Rak's ceiling is much higher. Why is it that every time it looks as if we have a good back-up we want to "TRADEZZ THE STARTA FOR DE PICKSS" and FYI I believe Orakpo was in the top 10 when you combine sacks hurries and hits over how many times he actually rushed. On top of that he is good in coverage especially for a 3-4 LB.. he is good in space and he is great against the run. Seriously I am tired of our homegrown talent walking and shining elsewhere. He may not have a signature late game 4th quarter sack fumble but he does have games where he is a force and makes the QB uncomfortable even if he isn't getting home for the sack

Hey Bob? I was talking about both of them being better suited for the 4-3. I love 'Rak. I've mentioned that SEVERAL times. I think he's a good player. Sometimes very good, but he's not the game changer some of you make him out to be. Period.

All I have to say is...Really? Should we have cut Monk when he broke his foot and Alvin Garrett performed great? Should the Patriots have replaced Tom Brady with Matt Cassell. Child please.

The correct question should have been, If Jackson gets 12 sacks this year and leads the defese in tackles, do we sell high on Jackson (i.e. is Jackson the Cassell to Brady's Orakpo?)? Jackson is a 26 year old with 19 tackles over 4 years.

Either way, There is a minescule sample size regarding Jackson's PT.

All I have to say is...Really? Should we have cut Monk when he broke his foot and Alvin Garrett performed great? Should the Patriots have replaced Tom Brady with Matt Cassell. Child please.

:ols: so Orakpo is "Art Monk" and "Tom Brady" now? Come on bro, lets not get crazy.

Also, who said or implied that we should cut Orakpo?

Archived