Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Rob Jackson make Orakpo expendable?

authentic

It's been one game. Who knows how much film Cincy actually had to game plan for Rob Jackson. It was a very promising game for Jackson, but it was still only one game.

The good news is that Kerrigan has exceeded expectations. When he was drafted the sentiment was that he would make a great compliment for Orakpo, but so far it looks like Kerrigan is the Monster on the defense and Orakpo, or whoever ultimately ends up on the Weak side long term, will be the compliment for him.

Edit...not that we SHOULD do it, but there are certainly cases out there to illustrate why we COULD do it. The most obvious is James Harrison replacing Joey Porter in 2007. On the surface, cutting Porter (salary cap) for an undrafted guy who barely stayed active during his first couple years in the league was risky. But, it turned out that the coaches knew what they were doing.

I don't know if Jackson is even half the player Orakpo is. I'm not a football coach and don't watch game tape. But, if the coaches are comfortable doing it and strengthening other positions by doing so...I'm on board. That's all.

But Porter was at the end of his career. Orakpo is just starting.

But Porter was at the end of his career. Orakpo is just starting.

First of all, Porter was 30 when they cut him (and he went on to make the Pro Bowl and lead the AFC in sacks after being released). Secondly, that's not really the point. My point was that teams make these moves all the time with player who, quite frankly, are more accomplished than the ones we bite our nails over losing. Lastly, Porter/Harrison is an example of a team that cut a Pro Bowl player in his prime and gave a nobody an opportunity. What the OP suggested in this thread was getting value back for Orakpo if Jackson is considered a good replacement for him.

Its very possible Orakpo can become expendable but its based on how Jackson plays the rest of the year. Orakpo is a solid player but nothing more than that and we will need to clear space to sign some help in the secondary and we also have to worry about Fred's contract as well. There may be several expendable players by the end of the year if the defense doesnt pick it up.

If Rak had any moves at all, or was able to hand-fight, he'd be another (albeit injury-prone) DeMarcus Ware. As he is, he's a better-than-average LB, when he's in there.

Why do you call him injury prone? Up until now he's missed 1 game. This is the same injury. Someone who is injury prone is someone like Trent Willaims who seems to sprain a knee, ankle, foot, hand, neck or something every other game. I don't like when people throw out "injury prone" when it's not true. Sorry, I wasn't trying to be short with you, but I just don't like the term where it doesn't fit.

Its very possible Orakpo can become expendable but its based on how Jackson plays the rest of the year. Orakpo is a solid player but nothing more than that and we will need to clear space to sign some help in the secondary and we also have to worry about Fred's contract as well. There may be several expendable players by the end of the year if the defense doesnt pick it up.

I disagree with the bolded/underlined text above. He's much better than a solid player as he's a borderline Pro Bowler so far in his career. That still doesn't mean that he's untouchable though. I think we have exactly one player on this roster who shouldn't be traded at this point.

All players are expendable except RG3.

Every single one.

Especially Orakpo. He was drafted in the top 10 and so far has played more like a 2nd rounder. Role player, and a good one, but not a top tier pass rusher like his draft status would expect.

I'd consider trading him for a 3-4 round pick and spending $$$ on the secondary positions. Move DHall to FS and find a couple more DBs via FA and draft.

:2cents:

THere are so many holes here...I don't even know what to say...

hey how about some of you goo look at Strahan's 1st 4 years in the league compared to Raks 1st 3. Or any other number of HOF or current top Pass Rushers. Yeah he isn't top 3 or 5 in the league, but that is really the only point you can make.

Haha Thank you,

Its like we want great players, and once we get someone who looks good, we expect them to be elite within 3 years or its on to the next one.

Yes, what about the holding call that won the Dallas game? And how many times does a sack end a game? Not often. Your logic is completely flawed. The only monkey Orakpo ever had was the division sacks. He got past that last year. Shows progress. this year in 2 games he had a sack and a forced fumble. On his way to another solid start, until the injury.

I just think you have an agenda here. :rolleyes:

lol.. no agenda.. i'm opening up a discussion. come on dude.. SMDH!

hey how about some of you goo look at Strahan's 1st 4 years in the league compared to Raks 1st 3. Or any other number of HOF or current top Pass Rushers. Yeah he isn't top 3 or 5 in the league, but that is really the only point you can make.

But don't you see, if he's not top three he needs to be traded for a 3rd or 4th rounder and replaced with another mediocre player that clearly people on this forum prefer. Everyone knows that the best way to build a team is to jettison young capable players in favor of long shot draft picks and career backups. Depth is bad!

But don't you see, if he's not top three he needs to be traded for a 3rd or 4th rounder and replaced with another mediocre player that clearly people on this forum prefer. Everyone knows that the best way to build a team is to jettison young capable players in favor of long shot draft picks and career backups. Depth is bad!

No. NO!!!! DONT SAY IT!!!!! NOT COLT BREN....

Woh. That was close...

I disagree with the bolded/underlined text above. He's much better than a solid player as he's a borderline Pro Bowler so far in his career. That still doesn't mean that he's untouchable though. I think we have exactly one player on this roster who shouldn't be traded at this point.

This ^^ pretty much sums up my position on Orakpo.. He's a very good player, probowl caliber. But not a top tier OLB.. I do i want him to be a "great" player and retire a Redskin? YES. But, i wouldn't be opposed to exploring our options in the offseason if the opportunity presented itself. Especially "IF" Rob Jackson produces...

---------- Post added September-26th-2012 at 03:54 PM ----------

I still have belt marks on my ass from posting something like the OP last year... lol... but hey... I was right about Landry... I was right about Cooley... and I'm pretty sure I'm right about Orakpo.

FWIW... I said that there would be a drop off... Orakpo is a better player, but as I have said, Orakpo is a B+ player and Rob Jackson is a B player. Not a huge drop off, but a drop off.

Next time i'll know better.... :ols:

I am sorry I did LOL at this - Especially with a follow up post like this one ....>

This ^^ pretty much sums up my position on Orakpo.. He's a very good player, probowl caliber. But not a top tier OLB.. I do i want him to be a "great" player and retire a Redskin? YES. But, i wouldn't be opposed to exploring our options in the offseason if the opportunity presented itself. Especially "IF" Rob Jackson produces...

I think a bigger question would be if Jackson does produce then how much do we throw the $$$ at because he will be the third off the bench when Rak is back and a situational player - oh yes and a FA at the end of this season ...

I dont remember any big time pass rushers that took years to become dominant. Please give me some examples of dominant pass rushers that took 3 or 4 years to develop and I will post twice as many dominant pass rushers who excelled immediately. I understand some positions take time to develop but pass rushers are usually not one of them.

I think a bigger question would be if Jackson does produce then how much do we throw the $$$ at because he will be the third off the bench when Rak is back and a situational player - oh yes and a FA at the end of this season ...

isn't Rob 2nd off the bench? anyways, i'm not saying there aren't alot of variables to consider. What i am saying is that nothing should be out of the realm of possibility, IF we can get the better end of a potential transaction.

Is it possible to believe that Rak isn't expendable, but to also think that Rob Jackson is underrated and will play well? Cause that's where my brain is. :)

This. Orakpo is untouchable for us. We will not let him go. He is an all around player now. He stops the run, he plays the pass, he puts pressure on the QB. In essence, he does everything you ask for from a OLB. Not just one. Rob Jackson played great this week, but he is nowhere near the all around player Rak is. Maybe he can be. He made an argument this week. He needs more time. Hopefully he will develop even better and we can have a trio of pass rushers like the Giants have. Why do we nesecarily have to get rid of 1? BTW, Rak was getting a lot of pressures before the injury.

i think we are waaaay ahead of ourselves on this. it will take some time before we know if RJ could even be a starter. i am inclined to agree though that i have been a bit disappointed with Rak considering all the hype.

is it feasible to, assuming RJ proves his worth, that he takes the olb and Rak goes back to putting his hand in the dirt???

last year i hinted in an overrated thread that jackson could very well be just as good as rak. i remember getting a lot of flack for that.

but it's only been one game, and we dont know if jackson can perform continually at a high level. either way, there is nothing wrong with having 3 good olb's (rak, kerrigan, and jackson). i liked how orakpo was playing this year and he would have to generate a lot of trade interest (ie draft picks) for me to consider trading him.

This is so far from the truth. Andre Carter couldn't do ANYTHING in the 3-4 could not put pressure on. Couldn't cover, couldn't set the edge. Rak does all of that

seriously! Night n day IMO.

Why is it that every time it looks as if we have a good back-up we want to "TRADEZZ THE STARTA FOR DE PICKSS"

Lol, that's funny ****!

Archived