Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports: Josh Morgan takes one of the worst penalties in NFL history, costs Redskins a chance at overtime (and related news)

s0crates

I'm all for discipline and no player being above it, but sitting Morgan would be cutting our nose off to spite our face IMHO.

He'll get chewed a new one this week behind closed doors at the park by the HC. He may even get dropped down the depth chart and lose his start next week. But no more needs doing than that. He knows he let his teammates, coaches, organization and fans down. It happened. It's past.

Provided it doesn't happen again, we move on with Josh learning a very public, very embarrassing, and VERY costly lesson.

Hail.

Pretty much how I feel. Still a regrettable penalty, but the attitude in the game was getting worse and worse every minute. The refs lost control of that game from the get go. It was a bad situation

I would have no issue sitting him for a half. The apologetic attitude here is sickening. Let's just move on because I'm sure he feels bad, lol. I would hope so. That's not enough. You are creating a culture of winning here and if that means sitting your #2 receiver for one of the dumbest penalties in the last few seasons so be it.

Those saying he should be cut though, that's a bit much.

I agree that cutting him and the twitter threats are way out of line, but like I said at least a half. But if it were me he'd be inactive.

I'm all for discipline and no player being above it, but sitting Morgan would be cutting our nose off to spite our face IMHO.

He'll get chewed a new one this week behind closed doors at the park by the HC. He may even get dropped down the depth chart and lose his start next week. But no more needs doing than that. He knows he let his teammates, coaches, organization and fans down. It happened. It's past.

Provided it doesn't happen again, we move on with Josh learning a very public, very embarrassing, and VERY costly lesson.

Hail.

I totally agree. I'm not on twitter, but if someone could let him know he's got some support from ES, that would be cool. Some of us can forgive, and move on to next week where we'll kick ass at home!!:D

Hail!

I totally agree. I'm not on twitter, but if someone could let him know he's got some support from ES, that would be cool. Some of us can forgive, and move on to next week where we'll kick ass at home!!:D

Hail!

I forgive him too but he still needs to be made an example of on the field. Why is sitting him a quarter so out of line?

Also, to threaten someone physically over a game on Twitter is pathetic. Those people have gone way overboard.

You guys are mad at the wrong WR.

Benching Morgan would be stupid. He's got good hands.

Be mad at Aldrick Robinson for dropping a sure TD pass from RG3, or play that puts us in position to win the game.

He's the one who should be benched.

Please come back soon, Pierre.

I'm not as upset as others.

Losses like this, build character.

It was a colossal mistake, and it cost us the game.

it's nuts that people think this ...

Do we even know if Cundiff hits the FG to tie it?

If he ties it, do you really think the skins would have stopped the rams if they got the ball first in OT?

don't think Morgan had anything to do with the rames getting 450 yards of offense and giving Amendola 15 catches.

WHY IS ALDRICK ROBINSON GETTING A PASS!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added September-17th-2012 at 09:16 AM ----------

Be mad at Aldrick Robinson for dropping a sure TD pass from RG3, or play that puts us in position to win the game.

He's the one who should be benched.

dude, forget it ... he's the teflon WR ... nothing sticks to this cat.

why are people not callign for AR's head???

So did Steven Jackson...Fisher still showed his team he will not stand for any nonsense that puts yourself before the team.

Jackson was kept out because of a groin injury. Jeff Fisher is no disciplinarian. Jeff Fisher let his team play chippy the whole game. If a team reflects the head coach, then Jeff Fisher is a chippy little punk.

What I can't figure out is why the hell didn't JM get the 1st down? That is why he got so pissed off IMO. He was trying to make a big play and hurt himself by losing yards and not getting the first down.I think that was the main reason for JM being so upset. Hell, after that huge gamble/mistake Im not sure that Cundiff would've made the kick without the flag being thrown anyway. Too much of a momentum swing and pressure on the kicker.

A copycat of the Ravens-Eagles game, dirty hits, fights and both games being dominated by out of control refs.

"Mike Pereira, the NFL’s former vice president of officiating and a rules analyst for Fox Sports, tweeted: “I’m officially over it. The regular refs need to get back on the field. Enough is enough.”

I'd like to hear Goodell about this.

Yeah, those two games were two of the worse in the league this year and is definitely some negotiating power for the refs. The integrity of the game is in question right now.

Jackson was kept out because of a groin injury. Jeff Fisher is no disciplinarian. Jeff Fisher let his team play chippy the whole game. If a team reflects the head coach, then Jeff Fisher is a chippy little punk.

If the refs won't stop it, there's nothing cheap about it.

The officials have to control the game and showed early on that not only could they not control anything, they didn't really feel like it either.

Play within the rules,, and if those rules get shady.. play within the ones you have.

What did they have to lose?

I don't blame Fisher. I blame those sorry erxcuses for officials that trotted out there.

~Bang

it's nuts that people think this ...

Do we even know if Cundiff hits the FG to tie it?

If he ties it, do you really think the skins would have stopped the rams if they got the ball first in OT?

don't think Morgan had anything to do with the rames getting 450 yards of offense and giving Amendola 15 catches.

WHY IS ALDRICK ROBINSON GETTING A PASS!!!!!!!!

You realize that we had a min and a half left. One obvious choice is to go for the 45 yarder FG try. We could just as easily have tried to go for the first on 4th down and a closer FG, or even the game winning TD. What could have happened in that last 90 seconds leaves a lot to the imagination.

But yes, if we did kick a FG and tie, I do have faith that RG3 would have come through for us (and my fantasy team) and won it for us.

This is where we disagree I guess. I think benching him for a game would be appropriate. There have to be consequences for stuff like this or the team will have no discipline. Maybe some consequence besides benching him would be appropriate instead. In high school the coaches would make players run windsprints or do pushups, maybe something like that is in order. The worst thing to do would be to just let it go as if he did nothing wrong.

---------- Post added September-17th-2012 at 04:59 AM ----------

So, what do you propose we do with the Defense and Special Teams? Because they were the reason we actually lost.

Didn't the guys on FOX say he was fine. He didn't play a snap after that gaffe. And he didn't injure himself on that play.

Didn't the guys on FOX say he was fine. He didn't play a snap after that gaffe. And he didn't injure himself on that play.

St. Louis Rams running back Steven Jackson sat out most of the final three quarters of Sunday’s victory over the Washington Redskins with a groin strain that worsened on his last few carries.

Jackson didn’t play after drawing an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for spiking the ball in protest after he was ruled short of the goal line on a third down carry from the 1.

Coach Jeff Fisher said Jackson was held out because of the injury, not because he was being disciplined.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/rams-steven-jackson-leaves-game-against-washington-with-injured-groin/2012/09/16/8a22ca48-0066-11e2-bbf0-e33b4ee2f0e8_story.html

St. Louis Rams running back Steven Jackson sat out most of the final three quarters of Sunday’s victory over the Washington Redskins with a groin strain that worsened on his last few carries.

Jackson didn’t play after drawing an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for spiking the ball in protest after he was ruled short of the goal line on a third down carry from the 1.

Coach Jeff Fisher said Jackson was held out because of the injury, not because he was being disciplined.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/rams-steven-jackson-leaves-game-against-washington-with-injured-groin/2012/09/16/8a22ca48-0066-11e2-bbf0-e33b4ee2f0e8_story.html

Well, that settles it, although I think there was more to that than meets the eye. Regardless, I still am in support of sitting Morgan for 15 minutes. Not the entire game, that's too much.

If the refs won't stop it, there's nothing cheap about it.

The officials have to control the game and showed early on that not only could they not control anything, they didn't really feel like it either.

Play within the rules,, and if those rules get shady.. play within the ones you have.

What did they have to lose?

I don't blame Fisher. I blame those sorry erxcuses for officials that trotted out there.

~Bang

I don't agree with your first sentence. At all. Cheap shots are cheap shots, regardless of whether the refs see them or call them.

What is sad is that if he had just fallen backwards (toward the 1st down marker) when he caught the ball, he would have had the first and not been rattled by the Ram player. We keep moving forward and have a chance at the comeback victory. So it seems he was mentally out of the play in more ways than one, because he should have known not to run backwards in an attempt to gain that first down and get out of bounds.

As for the penalty, I will be fine with whatever the coach decides, as long as it isn't a season long dog house. Morgan is a good player and I have high hopes that he will have a big year for us.

Absolutely no excuse of what Morgan did but you know what? These refs have got to go. When the play is over and you get crushed from behind (Fletcher) without any call when the ref is standing there you can bet the Redskins were hot. The entire game these A-hole lamb players were taking cheap shots. How many times the hit RGIII late, not a single call? yea they called the out of bounds hit (which was totally legit btw). These refs have zero clue and this season will become a joke if the regular refs don't get back soon and by soon I mean within the next couple of weeks.

The Rams weren't nearly as dirty last year. I was at the game, and even a lot of the 'fans' were obnoxious and inappropriate. There were quite a few who were getting lit before the game. I exchanged words with two morons at the end of the game, who were chanting sarcastically 'RG3, RG3'. 10 years ago, it would've come to curses and blows, but I had my wife and kids with me, so I kept calm. I blame Courtland Finnegan, who is a notoriously dirty player (I used to pay attention to his game while he was in Tennessee). Their defense is adopting his mindset, and they were chippy all game. They also were intent on injuring RGIII, and I saw tons of late hits on him. We were incredulous when the 'refs' ignored that blatant personal foul (defenseless receiver) on I think it was Fred Davis.

That said, we didn't deserve to win that game. We were outplayed on both sides of the ball, and apart from Griffin and Morris, the Redskins were as flat as I've seen them when they come here. I don't know what it is about the Edward Jones Dome that makes our guys lose their heart. SMH. And still, we might've tied or won outright if Morgan had kept his cool (again, Finnegan). That **** CB did engage in extracurriculars after the play, and Morgan lost his cool. He pulled a Westbrook.

Griffin played well, but he was on the run all game. It's amazing he still had an 80+ QBR. We need to protect him more, and that falls on the OL and OC. Kyle called a stupid game. And, coupled with a stupid gameplan from Haslett, and the usual incompetence from Danny Smith's squad, well, we lose. Its a wonder we didn't lose by 13 points or more.

My game balls- Fletch, RGIII, Morris (we abandoned the run too soon, again)

My goats- Morgan (GD it!), the rest of the defense, the punt protectors, the OL, the TE (where the hell was Fred Davis???). But mostly the coaches, who should've had our guys more prepared.

So, the hype machine can cool off, people can get their heads on straight, and hopefully they'll learn some lessons and prepare adequately to host the Bungles

Hail

Steven Jacksons "groin injury" is nothing more than a Great coach in Fischer sending a lesson to his entire team and then showing his hoss of a RB that he is still compassionate by not ridiculing anymore. THe idea that he is going to have 4 1st rd draft picks over the next 2 years should scare the crap out of the NFC.

Josh Morgan needs to be sat. Situational awareness, and our lack of it, is something that was supposed to be cured under Shanny.

Archived