Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo Sports: Josh Morgan takes one of the worst penalties in NFL history, costs Redskins a chance at overtime (and related news)

s0crates

That's fine, but do you take this Kid, who isn't an off the field problem and arguably our most productive WR with Garcon out and bench him? Garcon might not even be back this week, who knows. Is it really worth it to bench him to prove a point to say You cost us last week, now go think about it on the bench this week? What purpose does that have? Last week is gone, it's over, we lost. We can't go back and change it. The Redskins are a much better offense with him out there, I'll tell you that. He catches everything. If he was an off the field problem to go with that blunder, I would say bench him. But he's not, no sense in weakening our team for something we can't change

He's not a Kid. He's not even a rookie or 2nd year player. He's 27 and a professional. He's been playing this game for well over a decade and that sort of behavior is flagged at every level. Yes, he is human and he deserves a second chance (read: not cut), but detrimental actions without consquences means the actions were not all that detrimental. Was his selfish, Individualistic action the sole reason the Redskins lost? No, but it was the most visible and at the most crucial time. He should be benched next week, and I think that is exactly what will happen if Garcon is ready to go. I think he should be benched a game anyway, but I have a feeling that it will be less than that if Garcon is not ready. next weekend.

it's nuts that people think this ...

Do we even know if Cundiff hits the FG to tie it?

If he ties it, do you really think the skins would have stopped the rams if they got the ball first in OT?

don't think Morgan had anything to do with the rames getting 450 yards of offense and giving Amendola 15 catches.

There's no telling if Shanahan would've put it on Cundiff for the tie or tried for the first, but Morgan's blunder definitely cost us the chance to take this game or at least tie it. Dude should be benched for the entire next game IMO.

The ONLY reason I would not cut Morgan is his salary cap number. Unfortunately, with the made-up penalty imposed by the Ginger Hammer Goodell, we can't afford to absorb $4.75mill. Players who will do something THAT stupid in the heat of the moment will continue to do stupid things in the heat of the moment.

I hope Morgan sees playing time the rest of the season. Did you all see Shanahan's face when all that went down in front of him? He wasn't mad at the refs he was starting a hole through Morgan.

Why would he be mad at the ref? Yes they missed the new and ubscure unsportsmanlike committed by Fisher earlier in the game (throwing the replay flag on an automatic review), I realize the refs are from D-III college level, but did you expect the side judge just to miss a blantant display of unsportsmanlike like Morgan committed? If they called a PF on S. Jackson for spiking the ball, they were certainly going to flag Morgan. The refs had a tough game, that call wasn't one of them.

It ranks up there with Michael Westbrook taking off his helmet and costing us 15 yards, taking us out of FG range, in an eventual tie with the Giants...

Is that accurate?

Didn't Santana Moss do this once also? Threw his helmet and got a 15 yarder to take us out of FG range at a critical moment during Gibbs II?

It was a terrible mistake and a critical time. Not "THE" reason we lost...but still an inexcusable mistake. People who say we should cut him are overreacting. I trust Shanny will take care of him this week. Whatever happens behind closed doors, plus anything up to being inactive next week, is ok with me.

Didn't Santana Moss do this once also? Threw his helmet and got a 15 yarder to take us out of FG range at a critical moment during Gibbs II?

It was a terrible mistake and a critical time. Not "THE" reason we lost...but still an inexcusable mistake. People who say we should cut him are overreacting. I trust Shanny will take care of him this week. Whatever happens behind closed doors, plus anything up to being inactive next week, is ok with me.

I'd like to think Morgan will see film where he lost yardage by going backwards and probably could have fallen back for the 1st down.

Here's to hoping he gets worked hard this week in practice, takes the initiative to apologize to the team, and comes back stronger...

Why would he be mad at the ref? Yes they missed the new and ubscure unsportsmanlike committed by Fisher earlier in the game (throwing the replay flag on an automatic review), I realize the refs are from D-III college level, but did you expect the side judge just to miss a blantant display of unsportsmanlike like Morgan committed? If they called a PF on S. Jackson for spiking the ball, they were certainly going to flag Morgan. The refs had a tough game, that call wasn't one of them.

Are they really from D-III? I was hoping they'd nab some D-II or D-1AA... at least make an offer to any of the real refs to ref for what they're paying these guys. I know some need a paycheck.

He's not a Kid. He's not even a rookie or 2nd year player. He's 27 and a professional. He's been playing this game for well over a decade and that sort of behavior is flagged at every level. Yes, he is human and he deserves a second chance (read: not cut), but detrimental actions without consquences means the actions were not all that detrimental. Was his selfish, Individualistic action the sole reason the Redskins lost? No, but it was the most visible and at the most crucial time. He should be benched next week, and I think that is exactly what will happen if Garcon is ready to go. I think he should be benched a game anyway, but I have a feeling that it will be less than that if Garcon is not ready. next weekend.

I concur.

You guys are mad at the wrong WR.

Benching Morgan would be stupid. He's got good hands.

Be mad at Aldrick Robinson for dropping a sure TD pass from RG3, or play that puts us in position to win the game.

He's the one who should be benched.

Please come back soon, Pierre.

I'm not as upset as others.

Losses like this, build character.

At first I thought you wete being sarcastic and then I realized you were serious.

Aldrick Robinson dropped a pass that he lost in the lights. Sometimes guys faol to make a play that is there. By this logic we should be mad at Griffin for each throw he didn't make. That is completely different from putting your ego above your team. One is a conscious decision and one is not.

I' probably in favor of sitting him. Keep him active and play him on teams but keep him out of the offense unless injury dictatea otherwise this week. Players need to be accountable.

I'd like to think Morgan will see film where he lost yardage by going backwards and probably could have fallen back for the 1st down.

Here's to hoping he gets worked hard this week in practice, takes the initiative to apologize to the team, and comes back stronger...

Here's hoping Haslett has to run sprints with him.

I'm soooo happy my mistakes at work aren't on display for the whole world to see because I have temper tantrums at work all the time. Granted I don't make millions and Losing my cool at work really doesn't matter in the long run. Give the guy a game suspension and lets move on. It was idiotic yes, but I'm willing to give the man a chance to make up for it. I really hope Robert talked to him after that game and I'm sure he did. We need Josh with his head on straight the rest of the year.

There's stuff on twitter telling Morgan to go kill himself. Some people are really disgusting

Yes, they are--that really deserves the label "disgusting", too, though it's an increasingly popular form/level of "expression" in our video-gaming/internet generation II.

And "self-indulgent stupid", as ever, is even more popular than "disgusting."

It was an all-time bonehead extremely maddening penalty.

I wouldn't have any issue with him sitting out even if it impacts the team. I liked what Fisher did with Jackson. But the fact is I'm also fine if he doesn't, because I want our best shot at winning next week, and that still means Morgan playing. I still like Morgan---a lot. Some of you pay enough attention to what others write rather than just totally fixated on your own thoughts and emotions to know why.

It's a very standout part (which makes it a great scapegoat, and those are highly prized among many fans in such a game) of our very frustrating loss. I place it right behind the dropped sure TD pass that should have been handled, if I'm going to isolate a single play that "made the most difference." But how I rank such plays doesn't mean much, even to me.

BUT it came from a guy who's been doing well for us, was a very good pick-up (my opinion from day one, having watched him and how his team and local media thought of him in SF), and who we have every reason to expect to become increasingly valuable to our offense.

And it came from a guy who has no history of being a dumbass or a problem child, but does have a history of being a skilled player when healthy, a solid locker-room guy, an intense worker, and a tough, hard-core (in this case extremely stupidly so) competitive team-mate.

I agree he must feel terrible and I'm glad.

I'll also be glad when the angry 5-year old level of commentary wears itself down. It's not a very intelligent or interesting form of commentary. For me, it's good for about 15 minutes after the fact in myself with a few brief recurring burps over the next couple hours (it's not the playoffs) and then I can tolerate it (to a point) in others for a day or so depending on just how stupid and repetitive (from the same person) it gets.

Venting is life-sustaining. Over-extended self-indulgent petulant kiddie stuff is unbecoming in grown-ups (well, in most kiddies too). Venting here often becomes days-long repetitive whining and even outright tantruming (always impressive in adult males)...and then with some it's obvious when it's time to

CheckingBabysDiaper_01.jpg

I cursed and flailed about the room like an angry five year old who had been partly raised by an oldschool cop.

I never had the thought to cut him (I rarely think things that are actually that stupid, even when emotional). I am glad we have him, and look to him for very good things. I sure hope to hell I'm not disappointed. It is true with this team over the last 15 years you can get used to even your reasonable hopes bearing no fruit.

Josh needs to "make up" for it in big fashion, for himself, his team mates, his coaches, and the fans. This is not a dumb or selfish player. He knows this, now he has to live through it. And he better start that in a very obvious fashion the very next game he plays.

C'mon Josh. I still have faith in you. I'm glad you're a Redskin (but that was an all-time bonehead extremely maddening penalty :D).

I bet his grandma's gonna give him an earful.

Worst unsportsmanlike conduct by a Redskins WR since Westbrook versus the Giants, at a minimum. Most football players are not very smart, and it's hard to expect them to always keep their cool while playing one of the most violent sports in existence, but dude, Josh... c'mon. Not the way to introduce yourself to Redskins Nation. Blech.

Even more sadly, it wasn't the worst thing that happened yesterday: instead, that dubious honor goes to our losing Orakpo and Carriker to big injuries.

What really got my goat is the thought of Finnegan, who last week thought it would be funny to fake a fight so the female ref would have to break it up, snickering with delight over being a cheap little dick. That, and Howie Long's kid taunting the sideline with his "be smart" gesture after having a bad game. The Rams are not a very classy team.

Last thought: before Morgan threw that ball and it was 4th and 1 I was hoping they'd go for it.

I didn't see this last night while it was all happening, but after watching the replays over and over on SC this morning, the fact that Long didn't get an unsportsmanslike for talking **** to the Skins players/coaching staff right in the face of a referee, who basically (as it appeared on tv) told him to stop, and he kept right on antagonizing. I've seen 100's of UC called for much less than what he was doing at the end of that play. What Josh did was wrong, no doubt, but an additional UC flag should have been thrown there resulting in offsetting penalties. SMH...

That's fine, but do you take this Kid, who isn't an off the field problem and arguably our most productive WR with Garcon out and bench him? Garcon might not even be back this week, who knows. Is it really worth it to bench him to prove a point to say You cost us last week, now go think about it on the bench this week? What purpose does that have? Last week is gone, it's over, we lost. We can't go back and change it. The Redskins are a much better offense with him out there, I'll tell you that. He catches everything. If he was an off the field problem to go with that blunder, I would say bench him. But he's not, no sense in weakening our team for something we can't change

No you dont bench him you fine him a game check!!! I agree that there alot of reason the Skins lost this game. But that one play at the wrong time hurt badly.

First he catches the ball one yard from the first down but instead of turning up field and getting the more important first down he decides to reverse his momentum by going the opposite direction losing two yards by trying to get out of bounds. he finds himself 1 yard short of the first down and again with a crucial decision.. But instead of flopping when Finnegan gives him a face shove to get the Redskins an extra 15 yds, he throws the ball to give the Rams 15yds. Its clear that when Finnegan pushes Morgan in the face the entire Redskins sideline errupts and all Josh had to do was pull a Vlade Divac and fall backwards flailing his arms in the air. Balls on the 14yd line instead of the 43yd line, and Griffin has over a minute to score the game winning TD while Josh is the hero and the play maker that Singletary asked him to be.

This is a great post, redskins55!!! Most winning football teams are usually the smartest teams. I agree that, if Morgan had been thinking, the Redskins could have had a first down inside the Rams 20-yard line. Finnegan had done enough to warrant a penalty, if Morgan had simply fallen down or stumbled badly, but Morgan pre-empted it by throwing the football at him. Great football players are more than great jocks; they have great "football" intelligence, and they take advantage of every opportunity presented to them especially when it's winnin' time.

Be that as it may, IMO, benching Morgan would hurt the team. He understands the gravity of his gross error. Instead of a possible game-winning TD or at least a short FG attempt to tie, the Redskins were attempting a 62-yard FG. If you polled the Redskins team this morning, I suspect he would be voted the most unpopular player on the team.:) He has some making up to do with the team as a whole, regardless of how many gives him a pat on the back. I would be concerned if something like this happens again, but I don't believe it will.

Morgan actually screwed up twice on the play. Had he just fallen forward after catching the ball, he would have had a 1st down. Instead, I guess he tried to get out of bounds. Let's face it. We all lose it at times and we hopefully learn from our mistakes. Josh is not the only person to waste an opportunity during this game. Let us not forget the drop by Aldrick.

Archived