Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012-13 NHL and Other Hockey Thread [2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs]

Sticksboi05

First 2 weeks of the NHL cancelled. Are these guys stupid or what. Had a lockout in the mid 90s that cancelled alot of games and led to a 48 game season. Then lockout again and led to a cancelled season 8 years ago. Now this. Do they not realize that they are not a sport on the level of the NFL, NBA or MLB and that this is idiotic? Idiots, all of them. Both of them are wrong and I'm not taking sides. The only side I'm on is mine. The fans side.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/richard_deitsch/10/10/khl-on-espn/index.html?sct=nhl_t2_a3

As far as Russian debuts in the United States go, ESPN's opening 2012 broadcast of the Kontinental Hockey League on Tuesday wasn't exactly Baryshnikov at the American Ballet Theater. The game, shown live on ESPN2 at 1 p.m. Eastern time with a replay at 8, was a dud. Dynamo Moscow topped HC Lev Praha 1-0 on an unmemorable third-period goal by Alex Ovechkin. But give the Worldwide Leader in European hockey (at least for one day) credit for doing something the NHL isn't doing these days: facilitating live coverage of games.

While the play was desultory -- it made a viewer long for an NHL preseason game, which would be unbridled excitement by comparison -- the broadcast was surreal. Not Mark Gastineau-surreal but a funhouse of ad libs, Cold War comedy, and a focus far away from the play on the ice. The announcers (Steve Levy and Barry Melrose) called the game from a voice-over booth at ESPN's Bristol headquarters -- some 4,200 miles away from the action at Prague's O2 Arena -- and their lack of familiarity with some of the KHL's figures provided viewers with memorable moments including this exchange:

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/richard_deitsch/10/10/khl-on-espn/index.html#ixzz28uc9rObN

I know Sticks that you are a huge college hockey fan. But some of us aren't and you know I've been a fan of the Caps since the late 70s. I kind of agree that if it isn't NHL, I'm just not interested. I tried to watch the KHL game last night, but seeing the "great 8" wearing a #32 jersey with a bunch of ads on it, didn't do anything for me. I want the NHL. I do have the Charlotte Checkers here, so I can see a AAA live game if I want to.

I know Sticks that you are a huge college hockey fan. But some of us aren't and you know I've been a fan of the Caps since the late 70s. I kind of agree that if it isn't NHL, I'm just not interested. I tried to watch the KHL game last night, but seeing the "great 8" wearing a #32 jersey with a bunch of ads on it, didn't do anything for me. I want the NHL. I do have the Charlotte Checkers here, so I can see a AAA live game if I want to.

It's not that I expect people to care that much, cause for example I don't care about Maryland basketball, just in a bad mood actually that's it. And instead of whining that there's no hockey, do something about it and find other sources. Cause those clowns ain't settling anything anytime soon.

Lot of talk about new offer placed by NHL to NHLPA

Owners starting to cave

I have a strong feeling that hockey is going to be back soon, and I ain't watching any NCAA hockey or EHL or KHL or any of that nonsense. We want the NHL Back. And it may be coming back very soon. So get ready

• 2 weeks later...
It's so hard to get interested in any hockey that isn't the NHL.

I wouldn't if I didn't go to a hockey school but tough times call for tough measures so if you really love hockey, absorb it where you can. F the NHLPA I can't wait until they eventually lose anyway cause the players don't have that much money and they look back at a wasted season for nothing.

Source: Winter Classic canceled

The NHL has decided to cancel the Winter Classic, which was slated to feature the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs at the University of Michigan's football stadium in Ann Arbor on Jan. 1, a source told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun on Friday.

In the six weeks since the lockout began, the work stoppage has caused the cancellation of hundreds of regular-season games, significant revenue loss and what may be irreversible damage to the game's reputation.

Friday, however, was the darkest day yet.

"It's definitely very disappointing," Red Wings goaltender Jimmy Howard said. "Not only was I looking forward to it but so were all my friends and family. It was going to be a great event not just for us but all the businesses and hotels and fans excited to see us and Toronto play."

A source familiar with the league's plan had told LeBrun the decision to cancel the game was green-lighted after a final internal meeting at NHL offices in New York on Friday morning. The league is expected to announce the cancellation on Friday afternoon.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8583243/nhl-cancels-winter-classic-toronto-maple-leafs-detroit-red-wings-source-says

SMH...

Archived