Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012-13 NHL and Other Hockey Thread [2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs]

Sticksboi05

The big game tomorrow as USA takes on Canada. USA lost 2-1 to Russia.

USA has played very hard this tournament. Gibson is a decent goalie. Still not sure if USA has enough to beat Canada, though. Canada fields what is commonly known around hockey circles as "The Dream Team". USA will have a tough task ahead of them. I doubt they can pull it off

Well, I'm in total shock here. USA up 4-1, 3rd period 6:31 to go. Really didn't see this coming.

Americans have played hard this tournament and look primed to win the gold now. Unfortunately, the tournament's relevance will still be minimal in America, and that's sad. This is a great tournament.

---------- Post added January-3rd-2013 at 06:24 AM ----------

The USA destroyed Canada 5-1.

John Gibson is a name to watch as he has done very well this tournament.

From http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-jan-19-opening-day-feature-huge-slate-015203737--nhl.html

A 48-game schedule will preserve most of the previously booked arena dates, but matchups will change because clubs will play only in-conference opponents.

Clubs would play seven games against division opponents and a home and road game against each of 10 remaining conference teams, the sources said.

This would be awful. 28 of the 48 games against Carolina, Winnipeg, Florida, and Tampa. Ouch.

Some said there would be no hockey this year or this season

I always held out hope...they played a 48 game season earlier in the 90's or something so why wouldn't they do it again? People were just too negative regarding the lockout.

---------- Post added January-3rd-2013 at 10:35 AM ----------

The United States will play Sweden on Saturday. Swedes as mentioned before have a Caps prospect by the name of Forsberg.

US beat Swedes 2-1 in OT in preliminary rounds, look to pull off the win again Saturday 8 AM NHL Network / TSN

Am I the only one who thinks hockey, basketball and baseball seasons are entirely too long?

A 50 game schedule for hockey and basketball seams reasonable. An 85-100 game schedule for baseball seems reasonable.

Part of the reason the NFL is so successful is that games matter. Everyone wants to watch their team, and they only get the opportunity once a week. The problem with these others sports is there are so many games, people don't care about a lot of them. Sure, you have your diehards that watch every moment, but let's be honest, life makes it difficult to do that all the time. Especially with baseball. Football is easier to clear a three hour block of time to watch your team compete.

I loved the basketball season last year. I think I'll like hockey season this year. Now take that schedule and spread it out over the entire span of the season and you have less games a week and more games to tune into.

I guess team's would lose money, though. But then again, players would probably be paid less.

It's Baaaaaaaaack! Ugh - sadly did not even care yesterday as much as I do today, but with the Skins out, the Sixers being awful, it's time to move on to the Flyers!!!!

Feel the same way, except I'll be rooting for the Caps. It doesn't help much, but at least looking forward to NHL takes a little of the sting out of the playoff loss.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Sabres are absolutely horrendous. They managed to play a decent 1.9 periods of hockey, then allowed the Isles to pot freakin four.

If the Sabres are bad enough to finish worst or second to worst, we're almost guaranteed Jones, MacKinnon or Drouin. Silver lining? Eh.

The Sabres problem has got to be a total lack of talent. Aside from Miller, our best player is probably Vanek, who is a non factor defensively and disappears for long amounts of time. Our fourth line has scored ZERO goals. Our third line has four and our second line has eight. It's very, very hard to watch this team :ols:

Archived