Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012-13 NHL and Other Hockey Thread [2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs]

Sticksboi05

Yeah but not like I watch the NFL.

I get what you are saying and it's a valid comparison. I really just watch college football because that's "what's on" on Saturday's. I don't have a team. I watch it because I like football and could easily switch from one game to the next. I'll probably catch some NCAA hockey but I'd love to see KHL. I want to see how Kuznetsov and all the other washed up, under talented Euro-Russians play.

I mean I understand it's different because it's a niche sport but NCAA hockey has plenty of talent and is fun to watch. 25% of the NHL comes out DI. Check out John Gaudreau's goal in the 2012 national championship game or Chris Kreider's goal in the 2011 Beanpot.

That said, I want the NHL also. It's absolute horse **** that we have another f-ing lockout. Honestly, if the league died, a super small part of me would be happy so I could laugh at their greed taking away their game.

The NHL is looking like the joke it has become under Bettman. No matter what improvements have been made on-ice or through TV deals signed with NBC, to have two lockouts in less than a decade and three in a single tenure as commissioner is absolutely pathetic. The owners suck, Bettman sucks, the players suck.

The 2004-05 NHL season is the only time EVER that an entire season was missed dude to work stoppage and there is actually, somehow, a good chance they do it again. How can anyone take the NHL seriously at this point. If they lockout the entire year I will seriously have trouble caring anymore.

The NHL is looking like the joke it has become under Bettman. No matter what improvements have been made on-ice or through TV deals signed with NBC, to have two lockouts in less than a decade and three in a single tenure as commissioner is absolutely pathetic. The owners suck, Bettman sucks, the players suck.

The 2004-05 NHL season is the only time EVER that an entire season was missed dude to work stoppage and there is actually, somehow, a good chance they do it again. How can anyone take the NHL seriously at this point. If they lockout the entire year I will seriously have trouble caring anymore.

The fans will come back and they know it. Look at the Caps attendance over the last few years. The 2004-2005 lockout had no negative effect. Leonsis knows a few years from now, there will be 18,000 fans rocking the red every night.

Was awakened at 6 AM by news that Ovi said that the whole NHL season might be locked out.

Smh

On Wednesday, Ovechkin spoke with a Russian news agency about his new contract and said he would consider staying in his home country full time if player salaries are cut dramatically in the next collective bargaining agreement.

Thanks to Slava Malamud of Sport-Express for translating Ovechkin’s full quote, which came from Russian news agency RIA Novosti and was initially published on Sporbox.ru.

“I knew that Dynamo was interested in me, as my Russia-based representative had immediately told me that,” Ovechkin said, as translated by Malamud. “But we had already promised CSKA to only negotiate with them. But then, there was a small snag. We asked [CSKA] whether we can start negotiating with someone else. In the end, we started making contact with Dynamo and reached an agreement.

“As to the future, it will depend on what kind of conditions there will be in the NHL with the new CBA,” Ovechkin said. “If our contracts get slashed, I will have to think whether to return there or not. I won’t rule out staying in the KHL, even past this season.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/post/ovechkin-if-our-contracts-get-slashed-i-will-have-to-think-whether-to-return-there-or-not/2012/09/19/5be8989a-0270-11e2-9b24-ff730c7f6312_blog.html

NHL '13 has a new "Be A Commissioner" mode. You take the disc, smash it with a hammer and no one gets to play.

This made me laugh.

Bummed about Ovi (and the season, obviously) though. I mean I understand if the contracts get slashed...but still. Do we know what his paycheck is in the KHL?

Edit: nevermind, I looked it up. 6mil compared to the 9 in the NHL.

The owners are being pieces of ****. Imagine if you got hired at the place you currently work at and three years from now they said you are getting your salary reduced by $12,000. You'd be furious. Guaranteed. Yeah these guys make millions but on principle what the owners want is ridiculous.

Ovechkin is talking out of his ass. He's saying that to put pressure on the owners. What he really means is get a deal done now morons.

The whole thing is absurd. Oh well, hockey season starts in 20 days for me!!!

The owners are being pieces of ****. Imagine if you got hired at the place you currently work at and three years from now they said you are getting your salary reduced by $12,000. You'd be furious. Guaranteed. Yeah these guys make millions but on principle what the owners want is ridiculous.

Ovechkin is talking out of his ass. He's saying that to put pressure on the owners. What he really means is get a deal done now morons.

The whole thing is absurd. Oh well, hockey season starts in 20 days for me!!!

I don't think that OV is talking out of his back-end. I believe he's very frustrated and would consider staying in his home country if he feels that it is a better option. More of a shot across the bow of the owners, I believe.

Hockey starts next weekend - my son is now playing at UMBC and I can at least get my hockey fix on weekends from 9/29 until March. Go Retrievers!!!

Isn't this always the issue with any sport when dealing with CBA's? It's not about salaries, it's about revenues. I'm just baffled that both sides in any sport can't split 50-50. Why is that so hard? Players still earn their millions from their salary and the owners earn their billions from TV/Radio/Ads/Concessions/Parking and Ticket Sales. Rod Gardner this thing man. 50-50. How hard is that to do?

Owners need to take their piece of the pie and reinvest it into the team and the players need to take their piece of the pie and invest it in their future after their playing days are over. 50-50. How hard is that to do?

Archived