Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012-13 NHL and Other Hockey Thread [2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs]

Sticksboi05

Apparently there's progress being made this morning. It's like they finally started negotiating instead of pouting. The league could very well come back this afternoon and reject everything, but the players association appears to have made some significant concessions, hopefully the owners will follow suit and give a little in return.

Bob McKenzieVerified

‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

We're hearing today's NHLPA proposal to NHL will include increasing the NHL's $211M Make Whole provision by another $180M.

Bob McKenzieVerified

‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

We're also hearing the NHLPA proposal will work off a percentage of HRR -- as requested by NHL -- and not a guaranteed dollar amount.

Chris Johnston

‏@reporterchris

Donald Fehr says sides are $182 million apart over the five-year deal.

Chris Johnston

‏@reporterchris

The NHLPA expects a response from the NHL on the new proposal this afternoon.

Like I've said. It's a wrap. No All-Star game now.

NHL cancels games through Dec. 14

he NHL on Friday cancelled games through Dec. 14 and its 2013 NHL All-Star weekend scheduled for Jan. 26-27 in Columbus, Ohio, citing the absence of a new collective bargaining agreement between the NHLPA and the NHL.

A total of 422 regular-season games -- 34.3 percent of the season -- were scheduled for Oct. 11 through Dec. 14.

"The reality of losing more regular-season games as well as the 2013 NHL All-Star Weekend in Columbus is extremely disappointing," said NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly via press release. "We feel badly for NHL fans and particularly those in Columbus, and we intend to work closely with the Blue Jackets organization to return the NHL All-Star events to Columbus and their fans as quickly as possible."

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8665720/nhl-cancels-games-dec-14-plus-all-star-weekend

Getting to the point of no return soon. If this goes on past the 1st of the year, forget it.

I will only legitimately recommend this one game to you since I know you're an NHL-only guy, BUT, tonight on NBC Sports Network I strongly suggest watching #1 Boston College @ #9 Boston University. The 'green line rivalry' is the biggest in the NCAA and Jerry York will be going for the all-time NCAA wins mark these next two nights against his longtime rival. Interesting note, York and BU coach Jack Parker also played against eachother at these respective schools.

And watching BC is pretty much like watching an NHL team anyway. They're that good. They've gone 29-1, yes 29-1 in their last 30 games. There's at least one Capitals prospect playing in Patrick Wey also. Just a suggestion because the NHL season is D-E-A-D.

I will only legitimately recommend this one game to you since I know you're an NHL-only guy, BUT, tonight on NBC Sports Network I strongly suggest watching #1 Boston College @ #9 Boston University. The 'green line rivalry' is the biggest in the NCAA and Jerry York will be going for the all-time NCAA wins mark these next two nights against his longtime rival. Interesting note, York and BU coach Jack Parker also played against eachother at these respective schools.

And watching BC is pretty much like watching an NHL team anyway. They're that good. They've gone 29-1, yes 29-1 in their last 30 games. There's at least one Capitals prospect playing in Patrick Wey also. Just a suggestion because the NHL season is D-E-A-D.

Maybe I'll DVR it and take a peek at it this weekend. I just can't believe that the NHL will sacrifice another whole season for the 2nd time in 8 years. They have to realize that they are a 2nd tier sport behind the NFL, NBA and MLB, and they cannot afford to do this. I knew we could possibly have a partial season, but IMO, this is suicide for the league as I really think they were starting to get casual fans more interested with all the new personalities the league has brought in the last 5+ years. I could never imagine the NFL, NBA or MLB shutting down for an entire year, let alone doing it twice.

In 1982, it looked like the NFL might not come back. 9 weeks were sacrificed and it was looking grim. Still pisses me off that MLB never crowed a champ in 1994 after playing 100 games, that they could just walk away. I was thinking that maybe the NHL and the players union should have done like the NFL and just played without a CBA for one year and continue to go to the table to put a new one in place while still playing the games. Just a damn shame. As a hardcore fan, I'll be back, but I won't actually go to the games. I'll just watch on TV.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=412005

The Canadians have six returning players plus Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. The Russians are at home and have captain Nail Yakupov leading them. The Swedes are the defending champions. So, Seth Jones, where does your team fit in?

"Right in there. I think we're the best team," the American defenceman said on Thursday. "We have a lot of speed up front, we're great defensively and we have good goaltending so I think we have all the pieces to win the gold medal."

Considering Team USA failed to get past the round-robin stage last year and has only three returning players (forward J.T. Miller, defenceman Jacob Trouba and goalie John Gibson) that may be considered a bold statement.

"That's just confidence," said Jones, among the top contenders to be picked first in next June's NHL draft. "We can hang with any team here to be honest with you. There's not much another team can do to really take us off our game."

Speaking of which sticks....

The NHL announced the cancellation of more games on Thursday, this time through Jan. 14, as time is running out to salvage a season.

Amid speculation the league has set mid-January as a deadline to either get a new collective bargaining agreement in place or cancel the entire season, the league predictably canceled more games with the labor impasse at yet another standstill.

In total, 625 regular-season games, or 50.8 percent of the entire schedule, has been canceled.

"I don't want to characterize what today's cancellations mean or don't mean," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told The Associated Press in an email. "I will stand on the announcement that was made."

The league and players' association representatives haven't met face to face since Dec. 13 when talks involving mediators failed to deliver any progress.

More news will come Friday when voting wraps up among the 700-plus players who were asked by the NHLPA's executive board for authorization to file a disclaimer of interest in order to dissolve the union and attempt to have the lockout deemed illegal. Whether the executive board will file a disclaimer remains to be seen but it has until Jan. 2 if it gets a "yes" vote from players Friday.

In the meantime, NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr told reporters in Toronto before an NHLPA charity game Wednesday night that his side is ready to resume bargaining whenever the league agrees to meet again.

"We have to find a way to have discussions because it's very hard to come to an agreement if you're not talking to one another," Fehr said. "It's very hard to come to an agreement if you set pre-conditions to the negotiations, too."

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8767262/nhl-cancels-additional-games-jan-14

Over 50% of games cancelled. They mights of well go ahead and say no season.

Who cares all hockey besides the NHL sucks and it's not real hockey so why would any person care?

Hockey other than the World Juniors / NHL is uninteresting

World juniors is an important part of Canadian culture!

I was very surprised that the Americans were so brash as to crown themselves champions before actual play had started. Let's just say they'll be in for a rude awakening when they play teams such as Canada and Russia.

Canada, thanks to the lockout, has compiled a Dream Team which is ready to destroy all opposition on their way to reclaiming rightful gold. The lads had a tough loss today in preliminary play against Finland, but I think they will right the ship and pound the United States in their 3rd game.

Hockey other than the World Juniors / NHL is uninteresting

World juniors is an important part of Canadian culture!

I was very surprised that the Americans were so brash as to crown themselves champions before actual play had started. Let's just say they'll be in for a rude awakening when they play teams such as Canada and Russia.

Canada, thanks to the lockout, has compiled a Dream Team which is ready to destroy all opposition on their way to reclaiming rightful gold. The lads had a tough loss today in preliminary play against Finland, but I think they will right the ship and pound the United States in their 3rd game.

Why do you care about Canadian culture exactly? World Juniors is actually pretty boring.

I'll watch snippets of the frozen 4, but if it's not the NHL, I have little to no interest.

That being said, I still think they get a deal done and we'll have hockey in late jan/early feb. As stupid as both sides are, I think there is a lot of posturing going on and they know they absolutely can't risk NOT having a season. They'll play 48.

Well, I love NCAA hockey and the world juniors. I have no problem watching either one in place of the NHL, I may even prefer them.

For the World Juniors, my pick is Sweden. They're the defending champs, they return a lot of players, and they have Caps prospects Filip Forsberg and Christian Djoos. They lost to the US last night, but I still think they're the team to beat.

I'm just so disappointed that another whole season will be wasted by the players and owners. You did this 8 years ago. Why do it again? Greedy. All of them are just ****ing greedy. Greedy ****s. Greed. Greedy. Greedy ****ers. Greed. Greed. Greed!!!

PJ, this song explains it all.

NHL has proposed a new deal to the PA moving on almost all crucial issues.

What REALLY sucks about all of this, is that the NHL now moved, when a month ago, when the PA countered (in the hope of getting the NHL to move), the NHL flatly rejected it. I'm afraid this is what is going to happen here again. Because the NHL is stupid.

NHL - NHLPA Conference call at 11. PA certainly won't go quietly and the salary cap looks to be a bargaining chip/ negotiating chip this time around.

Talks will very very likely resume tommorow.

Jan 5th looks to be the last day to have a deal with the paperwork needed by the 11th if I'm not mistaken.

some owners have recently told Bettman that losing a season is not an option.

One thing is certain, we have reached the 11th hour.

Archived