Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2012-13 NBA THREAD!!! New Season/New Thread - LET'S GO!!!!!***

RonArtest15

Saw that this morning...it's a CRAZY sequence. I'm pulling for Evans. Dude is one of the best athletes in the NBA. If he could ever figure things out, dude would be a force.

---------- Post added October-18th-2012 at 07:49 AM ----------

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8516740/kevin-love-minnesota-timberwolves-star-6-8-weeks-broken-hand

Kevin Love out 6-8 weeks with broken hand.

Broke two of the metacarpal bones in his shooting hand.

This really blows. I really wanted to see him and Minnesota take the next step this season. And it blows for fantasy. Love was the #3 pick in most formats, #1 for both PFs and Cs. Now where do you take him? It was his shooting hand. Second round? Third round? Can you afford to take a player that high if he gives you nothing the first month and a half of the season, then my be slow coming back? A lot of questions now.

Kevin Love needs to come play for the Wizards like his dad. Come play with John Wall and Brad Beal. The fan base would have completely embraced him and John would have probably got him scoring 35 ppg here. Why oh why did he sign that extension?

Love will end up in LA.

Also...on the heels of that Love injury, let's see what Derrick Williams can do with some extended PT now.

Love will end up in LA.

Clippers or Lakers?

I don't see compatibility with Blake Griffin. They'd be dreadful defensively and redundant on the boards. I also don't like what playing with Dwight would do to his game. His numbers would take a big dip, and I think getting into the flow of things physically by rebounding is a crucial part of his game. Dwight is going to dominate the boards where ever he is. Love needs to grind and feel that physical element of playing in the paint to get fired up and start hitting those crazy ass shots. His best fit is in Miami or OKC.

Then again, you could say that about the majority of the players in the NBA.

And also, Dwight might not be long for the Lakers...

Also...on the heels of that Love injury, let's see what Derrick Williams can do with some extended PT now.

Love clearly blocked DWill and that was something predictable from draft day. Going back to his college days, it was clear DWill was NOT an NBA three. He is simply not fast enough. He's a huge liability on defense at the three and his whole offensive game is predicated on being able to out-quick slower 4s.

I'd be fascinated to see how DWill responds to significant minutes at the 4 in Love's absence. I think he could shock people, because he is a nice small ball 4 with range and strength and impressive finishing ability from within 15 feet.

Did you see Bill Simmons's article on James Harden from a little while ago? It's excellent: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8486795/the-harden-dilemma

Aside: does anyone else think it's a huge statement about James Harden's value (or lack there of) that OKC chose to pay Serge Ibaka over him? Serge Ibaka is not that great. Harden is a glorified role player--one of the best in the league admittedly--but a roleplayer who lacks the mentality to be an alpha dog for an organization, and thus should not get paid like one. But he'll get maxed out if he hits the restricted market no doubt.

Anyway, back to the point I wanted to make about DWill, Simmons mentions trade as a potential outcome for the Harden situation, and how some teams were in position to make OKC a deal they couldn't refuse. One situation involved Minnesota and DWill:

Minnesota: What if they said, "Screw it, we want to build around Kevin Love, Ricky Rubio and Harden and we don't care how we get there," then offered Derrick Williams (the 2011 draft's no. 2 pick),4 Luke Ridnour and Nik Pekovic, as well as a top-five protected pick in 2014, for Harden, Perkins and Eric Maynor?

[Footnote]For the record, Williams is the single best "buying low" bet out there — someone perfectly suited to play the "4" in the everything's-going-small-ball NBA. Only the T-Wolves can't play Love and Williams as their bigs (too hard to protect the rim), which means Williams will be playing out of position for the second straight season. As history proves time and time again, you're always better off betting on top-five lottery picks who need a change of scenery. Well, unless their names start with "Darko" or "Hasheem."

Am I the only one who things this would be utterly brilliant for both teams?

Minnesota needs to do something to keep Love from becoming a malcontent. Otherwise, they own his balls. Make him happy and everyone wins. That means giving up on young projects and bringing in established talent that's already good. Brandon Roy is probably a pipe dream, can you think of a more ideal 2 guard to mix in with Rubio and Love than Harden? I have a hard time doing so. And Harden has no bones about playing in small markets and he actually likes deferring to superior teammates. I think it works for them.

OKC needs to get out of the Perkins contract and get value for Harden if they can't keep him. Ridnour is probably unnecessary Westbrook insurance, the dude never misses games. Perkins is dead weight for the long term, his only use is for guarding Dwight when they play the Lakers. That's not worth 25 million for three years IMO. Find a better solution, like Pekovic. He's pretty meh but he's probably better than Perkins. He wouldn't be worse at any rate, and he's cheaper.

And then you're taking a shot at DWill living up to his potential, which I think is a much better bet in OKC than in Minny, where he will forever be blocked by Love.

DWill is a great potential four to pair with Durant and Westbrook offensively. He brings a physical element to the team they are lacking (the dude is actually pretty big), and he can shoot and space the floor properly and run some nasty pick and roll/pop.

Miami and Team USA proved that small ball is king today. Space is the greatest commodity any team has on offense and the ability to defend space is the greatest for any defense. It's why Anthony Davis was a game changing, number one with a bullet first overall pick despite a skinny build and relatively modest offensive game.

DWill is a modern four that can play in space.

A Westbrook, Durant, DWill, Ibaka core covers a ton of ground and gives OKC a graceful out and reprieve from the Harden problem they created for themselves in choosing to pay Ibaka over him.

---------- Post added October-20th-2012 at 12:00 AM ----------

Serge Ibaka is a lane trolling shotblocker that doesn't have the strength or toughness to play strong positional defense like Garnett, Chandler, Dwight, or Duncan, nor the quickness to defend stretch fours and small ball players on the perimeter like an Anthony Davis.

He doesn't create his own scoring looks and he can't handle the ball and is nothing special as a passer.

He will never win a DPOY award. OKC compromised their ability to pay a much better player in Harden to keep a glorified weakside shotblocker and dunker

I'm going to miss Stern. He was the last commissioner we will ever see with a personality.

It's going to be corporate robots from now until the end of time.

As far as I can tell, the only truly black mark on his resume is the Seattle-OKC theft. But even that has been swept over by the fact that the league is filled with more stars than at any point since the early 90s and is the most entertaining it has been since the mid 80s.

I'm going to miss Stern. He was the last commissioner we will ever see with a personality.

It's going to be corporate robots from now until the end of time.

As far as I can tell' date=' the only truly black mark on his resume is the Seattle-OKC theft. But even that has been swept over by the fact that the league is filled with more stars than at any point since the early 90s and is the most entertaining it has been since the mid 80s.[/quote']

he has a lot more black marks than just the Supersonics theft.

two work stoppages is only one of those.

he has a lot more black marks than just the Supersonics theft.

two work stoppages is only one of those.

Eh. Work stoppages happen in sports. Based on that, Rozelle was a disaster, considering he actually let a work stoppage compromise the integrity of a season.

The first work stoppage was absolutely necessary by the way. The salary system they had at the time was a disaster and was killing the quality of play.

The recent one was questionable.

In all honesty, the biggest black mark on Stern's tenure is that fact that Donald Starling has been allowed to own a team all these years.

In all honesty' date=' the biggest black mark on Stern's tenure is that fact that Donald Starling has been allowed to own a team all these years.[/quote']

:ols: Bill Simmons wrote the history of the Clippers a couple of seasons ago and summed up Donald Sterling and how he pretty much ran that franchise down the ground.

Eh. Work stoppages happen in sports. Based on that' date=' Rozelle was a disaster, considering he actually let a work stoppage compromise the integrity of a season.

The first work stoppage was absolutely necessary by the way. The salary system they had at the time was a disaster and was killing the quality of play.

The recent one was questionable.

In all honesty, the biggest black mark on Stern's tenure is that fact that Donald Starling has been allowed to own a team all these years.[/quote']

the work stoppages should be held against Rozelle too.

I also dont like how he changed things based on media scrutiny.

Some college bball news, Andrew Wiggins is reclassifying to class of 2013. If he plays to the talent he has, he will be the #1 pick in the 2014 draft. Best HS player since Lebron, and he is Canadian. :ols:

I'm sure the next guy up will suck as well.

Goodell/Stern/Bettman/Selig...none of them are well liked.

Tagliabue wasn't that bad.

To me Goodell is the worst by far, though Bettman isn't that far behind.

Truth be told, Selig isn't that bad. He doesn't do a whole lot of positive for the league, but he's not a corrupt disaster creating a lack of competition like Goodell.

David Stalin--uh, er, Stern--basically created the modern NBA. Say what you want about the man, but the league will not be the same without him. I think he's done a lot to clean up the game's image, make it a global power, keep it modern, and entrench it's brand, without or without marquee players.

The man is a classic WWE heal that feeds off of your boos. The game kind of needed that. The wildly entertaining edge that the NBA has, the WWE feel, that all comes from him IMO. The NFL is the No Fun League and MLB looks its age. The NBA has something special to it that gives it global appeal.

The man is a classic WWE heal that feeds off of your boos. The game kind of needed that. The wildly entertaining edge that the NBA has, the WWE feel, that all comes from him IMO. The NFL is the No Fun League and MLB looks its age. The NBA has something special to it that gives it global appeal.

Stern is a visionary in a way that other commissioners not named Rozelle are not.

(And I actually agree with you. Selig is not a visionary, but he has dragged baseball into, well, the 1980s. When he took over, it was happily stuck in 1927. He deserves a lot more credit than he gets).

Goodell treats the NFL like a public trust with all his "We must protect the shield" BS. Stern gets that he is running the Ice Capades. All you have to do is look at the way the NBA treats online videos and social media and see the difference in views.

The amazing thing about Stern is even his "mistakes" seem to turn into gold. I thought he went completely overboard on the dress code when he instituted it. But now, the post game press conferences have turned into fashion shows. I actually occasionally google Russell Westbrook's name not to see highlights, but what he wore after the game.

I just can't begin to imagine how Goodell would try to manage a league that is so black,so young, and so individualistic at times. Stern nearly always walked that line perfectly.

Stern is a visionary in a way that other commissioners not named Rozelle are not.

(And I actually agree with you. Selig is not a visionary' date=' but he has dragged baseball into, well, the 1980s. When he took over, it was happily stuck in 1927. He deserves a lot more credit than he gets).

Goodell treats the NFL like a public trust with all his "We must protect the shield" BS. Stern gets that he is running the Ice Capades.[b'] All you have to do is look at the way the NBA treats online videos[/b] and social media and see the difference in views.

The amazing thing about Stern is even his "mistakes" seem to turn into gold. I thought he went completely overboard on the dress code when he instituted it. But now, the post game press conferences have turned into fashion shows. I actually occasionally google Russell Westbrook's name not to see highlights, but what he wore after the game.

I just can't begin to imagine how Goodell would try to manage a league that is so black,so young, and so individualistic at times. Stern nearly always walked that line perfectly.

they have taken down a lot of online video over the last year. It actually sucks :(

altho its nothing like MLB

Tagliabue wasn't that bad.

To me Goodell is the worst by far, though Bettman isn't that far behind.

Truth be told, Selig isn't that bad. He doesn't do a whole lot of positive for the league, but he's not a corrupt disaster creating a lack of competition like Goodell.

David Stalin--uh, er, Stern--basically created the modern NBA. Say what you want about the man, but the league will not be the same without him. I think he's done a lot to clean up the game's image, make it a global power, keep it modern, and entrench it's brand, without or without marquee players.

Honestly though, Stern has quite a few black marks. Donaghy, Sterling, Seattle...

And your defense of Selig is essentially "well he's not terrible..."

I think we should have MUCH higher standards for the men that run these multi-billion dollar organizations.

Archived