Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is RGIII too small to be an effective runner in the NFL???

Skinsfan4life83

*Note to mods, if this needs to be merged please do so. I didn't see a thread focusing on this.

On to the topic. Listening to Cowturd this morning. Basically he says RGIII is too small to run at all in this league. Now from practice its obvious that Shanahan is using designed runs. RGIII is 6'2 and 3/8" and 217lbs. Should we not use that facet of Griffins game just out of fear of injury, which could happen at any time really. I mean we all want him to be a throw first QB but would you call designed QB runs as coach or would you never call them?

Me personally I would use his speed in choice situations.

If the defense is showing it, why not take advantage? Thats my feeling on it. If you can scheme some QB runs into the gameplan and the defense shows that you can gain 30 yards on a designed QB keeper I'd say go with it, its not like he will run 20 times a game and get banged up. I would say he has just as much chance of getting injured in the pocket, if not more, than getting out and being able to slide or run out of bounds.

If his runs consist of the type Rogers makes with a little luck he should be fine. If he runs like Cam Newton he won't last 3 games. That said most QB's if they ran like Newton would not last 3 games. I believe Shanny and RGIII realize how and when to use that facet of his game, and if it's not there get down. Time will tell.

I don't disagree that if its there then go for it. Very few QBs have the athleticism RGIII possesses. However I keep hear talking heads, not just Cowturd, say he is too slightly built to take hits. Which I do not agree with. Just wanted your thoughts ES.

And no RGIII size threads popped up in my search. If there are some posted already then I apologize.

Oh man, another RG3 size thread.

First of all Cowturd, the man is 6'2 not 6'1 and second, he is the same height and weight of some of the elite QBs in the NFL. Oh and he's bigger than Michael Vick.

I was about to say this right here. Sometimes radio personalities don't know what the hell they are talking about. He'll outrun most LB'ers and DB's.

If his runs consist of the type Rogers makes with a little luck he should be fine. If he runs like Cam Newton he won't last 3 games. That said most QB's if they ran like Newton would not last 3 games. I believe Shanny and RGIII realize how and when to use that facet of his game, and if it's not there get down. Time will tell.

This. Get your yards, get down and slide (which I hate BTW, but that's for another discussion). I watched Kapernick take it to the house for 78 yards on a zone read and he's not as fast as Griffin.

Of course he's too small. You can't let a player run unless he's 6'4 250 like every NFL running back is.

I'd keep him inside the pocket at all costs, behind an electric fence and a moat filled with swimming tigers and Josh LeRibeus.

Swimming tigers with lasers in their eyes.

Steve Young: 6-2, 215

John Elway: 6-3, 215

Brian Griese: 6-3, 214

Jake Plummer: 6-2, 212

Jay Cutler: 6-3, 220

Donovan McNabb: 6-2, 240

Robert Griffin III: 6-2, 217

These are all the notable QB's Mike Shanahan has coached since the 90's

While some were better than others (the three he had most success with were the most mobile- Young, Elway, and Plummer) I think we can all agree that out of this list of QB's, none of them are dead. The only one which was injured out of the league was Steve Young because of concussions, and I don't need to bring up a Steve Young highlight reel to prove that Steve didn't give a **** how he was gonna get hit.

Yeah, I think we're gonna be just fine.

I think a lot of what brings this on is Griffins build. He looks like a colt, long legs and lean, I never guessed he weighed as much as he did when I first started noticing him last year. I think with a few years in the NFL he will grow into his body. I could easily see him playing at 225-230 in the future.

6"2", 220 is not small but yes the Redskins will probably run him too much. ****in' Cam Newton and Tim Tebow started this mindset of less protecting of the QB and more designed runs.

BTW I've got 7 rabbit foots and it's hard to drive to work with my fingers crossed all the time.

Are you kidding me?? RG3 is already the best running QB in the NFL. Can you name anyone else you'd rather pull down a pass and run it?

Come on, man.

I'm not sure there's any evidence to back this up.

That said, I think RG3's speed is a great asset for a few designed runs or when he sees a clear lane to take off.

Archived