Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is RGIII too small to be an effective runner in the NFL???

Skinsfan4life83

Just the the threat of the run or rollout is enough to make defenses gameplan for it and have it in their mind. Even if if we never run it. The Buffalo game was a prime example. Mario Williams stated they were prepared for rollouts and boots which they never saw.

It's kinda pointless to start a topic based on something stupid you heard, listening to that crap has the same effect as someone peeling back your scalp and taking a dump in your skull. Cowherd's opinion is automatically invalid simply because it came out of his mouth.

RG3 is 6'2"3/8 and 223lbs ---TOP RUSHER NFL 2011 : Adrian Peterson 6' 1", 217 lbs. Darren McFadden 6' 1", 218 lbs. Arian Foster Height: 6' 1"229 MJD 5-7, 210, Ray Rice 5' 8", 212 lbs. LeSean McCoy 5'11" 208 Lbs. If RG3 is too small what does it make these rushers?

Michael Vick is a midget compared to RG3 and he's the most effective Running qb in the league.

Problem isn't vick's effectiveness, it's his long history of injuries. RG3 is about the same size as Adrian Peterson, and he's bigger than Chris Johnson or Darren Sproles, so I don't really get all the concern about him falling apart. I think it is more on how a player is put together and if he runs smart rather than just pure size. Besides, I'd say most scrambling qb's get hurt in the pocket rather than on runs.

RG3 is 6'2"3/8 and 223lbs ---TOP RUSHER NFL 2011 : Adrian Peterson 6' 1", 217 lbs. Darren McFadden 6' 1", 218 lbs. Arian Foster Height: 6' 1"229 MJD 5-7, 210, Ray Rice 5' 8", 212 lbs. LeSean McCoy 5'11" 208 Lbs. If RG3 is too small what does it make these rushers?

Thank you for using the official stats. Coward likes to diminish people's ability and knocking them down. I'm almost positive he said something along the lines of "Don't believe in that 6'2" 3/8" ... that's all boo****y! That's what his agent spread around pre-draft to make him look good". No RG3 is halfway to 6"3 at 223. I'm pretty sure at the official weigh in it was rumored he lost weight - and it wasn't true at all.

Steve Young: 6-2, 215

John Elway: 6-3, 215

Brian Griese: 6-3, 214

Jake Plummer: 6-2, 212

Jay Cutler: 6-3, 220

Donovan McNabb: 6-2, 240

Robert Griffin III: 6-2, 217

These are all the notable QB's Mike Shanahan has coached since the 90's

While some were better than others (the three he had most success with were the most mobile- Young, Elway, and Plummer) I think we can all agree that out of this list of QB's, none of them are dead. The only one which was injured out of the league was Steve Young because of concussions, and I don't need to bring up a Steve Young highlight reel to prove that Steve didn't give a **** how he was gonna get hit.

Yeah, I think we're gonna be just fine.

Thanks for this post I have never thought Griffin was to small but seeing this list really makes me feel better. Hopefully some can see a list like that a relax a little.

HTTR

Huh? If he was a RB, you could try to make a case. As a QB? Being an effective runner has very little to do with size, except that one may ague that a bigger QB is can still threaten pass until he crosses the LOS. Pretty much, all RG3 has to do to be an effective runner in the NFL is to force the defenses to respect the threat so that it makes them a little slower in reading their keys.

Thank you for using the official stats. Coward likes to diminish people's ability and knocking them down. I'm almost positive he said something along the lines of "Don't believe in that 6'2" 3/8" ... that's all boo****y! That's what his agent spread around pre-draft to make him look good". No RG3 is halfway to 6"3 at 223. I'm pretty sure at the official weigh in it was rumored he lost weight - and it wasn't true at all.

Thanks, it just irritates me when people make him out to be 150 Lbs. Shoot just look a Brandon Banks he is at that weight and goes against people with a 50 yard head of steam, and he is still playing.

It's kinda pointless to start a topic based on something stupid you heard, listening to that crap has the same effect as someone peeling back your scalp and taking a dump in your skull. Cowherd's opinion is automatically invalid simply because it came out of his mouth.

This, because it simply is.

man do i hate the "too small" complaint. let his performance dictate whether he can or can't do something. physical attributes like weight and height are very weak indicators of potential. for some reason in Washington, we have this mindset that we need to baby and coddle our star players, and not take full advantage of them. free RG3.

Michael Vick is a midget compared to RG3 and he's the most effective Running qb in the league.

Height really has nothing directly to do with whether a guy is a good runner or not. Some height is needed to carry the weight but squatty bodies usually make better runners. Best RB are usually no more than 6-2 and as short as 5-8, just need to be strong, massive and quick. Out of the QB slot, its pretty much about speed and pass threat.

Sorry boss. But I've read varying heights from 6'1 and 3/4" to 6' 2" and a half. Sorry to offend you. *end sarcasm.

His OFFICIAL combine measurement was 6'2 and 3/8. You know, official. Where every team watches as they measure his height and weight and record it to the eight of an inch.

It really depends on how Cowherd defines "effective runner". If that means running like Young, Elway, Plummer or Rodgers then yes, he can certainly be effective. On the other hand, maybe he means "effective runner" like what we saw out of Cam Newton or Tebow last year? A QB who can run up the middle in the red zone and can take on linebackers at the goal line with no injury concerns? I'd say no, he's not that kind of player.

Three pages in and some people feel the need to simply ***** about the thread topic. If you don't want to add to the discussion why bother responding? Geez.

My question is, simply put, would you as a coach be calling designed run plays with RGIII during the regular season. If so how many? If not why? Maybe I should have been clearer in my op for that I apologize.

---------- Post added August-15th-2012 at 01:28 PM ----------

His OFFICIAL combine measurement was 6'2 and 3/8. You know, official. Where every team watches as they measure his height and weight and record it to the eight of an inch.

Sorry boss. It's fixed now. Feel better?

My question is, simply put, would you as a coach be calling designed run plays with RGIII during the regular season. If so how many? If not why? Maybe I should have been clearer in my op for that I apologize.

The only time I would consider it is a naked boot in the redzone. Even then he would have a pass option. I doubt you see straight run calls. Most will be a roll with the option to pass. That puts the most pressure on the D.

Height really has nothing directly to do with whether a guy is a good runner or not. Some height is needed to carry the weight but squatty bodies usually make better runners. Best RB are usually no more than 6-2 and as short as 5-8, just need to be strong, massive and quick. Out of the QB slot, its pretty much about speed and pass threat.

This is a pretty good point but also to add to it, most good RBs also know how to take hits as far as pad levels, driving, center of gravity, moving with/against the momentum of hits, all that. They've been doing it for years and need to understand that stuff not just to protect themselves but also to help break tackles. When you're talking about a QB I think its more likely that he'll end up taking a hit where he isn't protecting himself as well. Obviously none of this is to say that RG3 can't/shouldn't/won't run. Just saying that a comparison to a RB getting hit while running and a QB getting hit while running/scrambling is not necessarily apples to apples.

Personally I don't think his size is a big issue. He is average height for a NFL QB. Not too small, not a monster. I think he can make plays like we have never seen given the opportunity but he should always be thinking throw first, which to this point he has.

---------- Post added August-15th-2012 at 01:36 PM ----------

The only time I would consider it is a naked boot in the redzone. Even then he would have a pass option. I doubt you see straight run calls. Most will be a roll with the option to pass. That puts the most pressure on the D.

I agree completely. But with all the designed runs Shanny has been calling in practice I am a little nervous.

Archived