Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is RGIII too small to be an effective runner in the NFL???

Skinsfan4life83

I don't think RGIII's size or ability to effectively run the ball on designed plays should even be a topic of concern or question. We drafted him the throw the ball. His ability to run is an added bonus.

Exactly. Icing on the cake. HTTR!

---------- Post added August-15th-2012 at 10:12 PM ----------

Great point. I hadn't thought about it like that.

AN emphasis. Sorry about the horrible grammar. Pet peeve. HTTR!

I'm sorry but this is a moot discussion. Last time I checked he was our QB. He's not listed in the same group as Helu,Evans, or THT. If its there then fine take it. Just like any other QB in the league. He's not Tom Brady who's a dinosaur at this point in the league. Brady moves great in the pocket bit he's not going to run the ball. Besides, we're not asking him to run wildcat or Tebow dive type plays. He won't line up as a single tailback either. I'm tired of hearing about him running. I could care less if he does because I just wanna see him light of defenses w/ his arm.

Successful Runner like A-Rod = GOOD

Designed runs like Tebow = BAD

No matter his size!

This isnt college, we finally have an elite level thrower and we want him to bash heads between the tackles.

Designed QB runs tell me that the offense is desperate to move the football.

Designed QB runs should be an absolute last resort.

Designed QB runs GREATLY increase (double? triple?) the risk of RG3 getting hurt.

Designed QB runs hinder RG3's ability to come back the next play and throw a pass. If you've ever played QB, it only takes one helmet to the forearm, elbow or wrist to effect his accuracy for the rest of a game.

With that said, I really like the pistol formation and the possibilities it gives our offense. In a read option setting, I can deal with QB runs off tackle.

I have a problem with running speed option and plays designed for RG3 to run in between the tackles.

He can outrun any linemen or linebacker' date=' and he's bigger than most DB's, coming in at 6'2 225. I think he'll be rather fine when tucking it in and running. Doesn't mean he still can't be careful. ;)[/quote']

The more Robert is talked about by the media, the more he seems to lose inches and pounds...I reckon by the end of the year he'll be 5'11 195. Him and Banks will be shopping partners by 2014

Designed QB runs tell me that the offense is desperate to move the football.

Designed QB runs should be an absolute last resort.

Designed QB runs GREATLY increase (double? triple?) the risk of RG3 getting hurt.

Designed QB runs hinder RG3's ability to come back the next play and throw a pass. If you've ever played QB, it only takes one helmet to the forearm, elbow or wrist to effect his accuracy for the rest of a game.

Non sequitur follows:
With that said, I really like the pistol formation and the possibilities it gives our offense. In a read option setting, I can deal with QB runs off tackle.

Scratches head...

Anyway, gotta disagree with you about designed runs are desperate attempts to move the ball nor a last resort, and that designed greatly increase the risk of a QB getting hurt (most injuries even to Vick occur within the pocket)

I think a lot of what brings this on is Griffins build. He looks like a colt, long legs and lean, I never guessed he weighed as much as he did when I first started noticing him last year. I think with a few years in the NFL he will grow into his body. I could easily see him playing at 225-230 in the future.

Exactly. As you know I had the opportunity to meet him back in April and we are about the same height and I'm currently 178- and so he's got significant lean muscle and is only 22 years old. He's not indestructible obviously, but his body will mature. He's got a great work ethic and clearly spends significant time training. Not to knock the Baylor program by any means, but he now has NFL level professional trainers, and nothing to do but train and study that play book.

I ain't worried.

:)

Exactly. As you know I had the opportunity to meet him back in April and we are about the same height and I'm currently 178- and so he's got significant lean muscle and is only 22 years old. He's not indestructible obviously, but his body will mature. He's got a great work ethic and clearly spends significant time training. Not to knock the Baylor program by any means, but he now has NFL level professional trainers, and nothing to do but train and study that play book.

I ain't worried.

:)

I uhh.. spinning with rope... chaps.. What was the question?

If RG3 was a running back he would be considered a mammoth. I realize that QBs wear less pads but it's not as if 6'2 217 can't withstand a hit.

And Cam Newton is not a better runner than RG3. Whoever said he is a better "running QB" well yes you are right in a sense because Newton is simply a better QB and passer at this point, but if you single out the running part of their game, RG3 is faster and more agile. Considering Vick's age and injuries RG3 is probably a better runner than Vick too.

Cowturd did his job...he said something just to make people talk about it, as usual. That's why I do my best to ignore people like him, Bayless, etc. All they do is make bold (and often stupid) statements or arguments solely to grab attention.

But to answer the question, as others have said, he is a similar size to many of the most successful mobile QB's of the past 25 years, so no, he is not too small.

Regardless of what Cowherd said and the Cowherd hate, he does make some good points. Although I do disagree with him here.

I don't think RG3 is too small to be an NFL runner, I just think he has to be smart about running. It doesn't matter who it is, this isn't college..size/speed none of that matters. A QB in the NFL is not a RB, it doesn't mean he can't be successful running because he most definitely can, he just has to be smart and limit the hits he takes. It isn't gonna matter if he's 217 or 235, if he takes too many hits while running, he's gonna get injured.

I really don't think it matters because RG3 has proven he can pass, he's proven he'll run when necessary. He's a smart guy with smart coaches...you can prevent all injuries, but he'll be well prepared for game situations.

And Cam Newton is not a better runner than RG3. Whoever said he is a better "running QB" well yes you are right in a sense because Newton is simply a better QB and passer at this point, but if you single out the running part of their game, RG3 is faster and more agile. Considering Vick's age and injuries RG3 is probably a better runner than Vick too.

Cam broke the record for rushing tds by a qb in a season, during his rookie year btw.

Cam broke the record for rushing tds by a qb in a season' date=' during his rookie year btw.[/quote']

Yea I have to agree. Being a runner in the NFL is about much more than speed and agility, there are tons of fast/agile guys who are busts. Cam was a fantastic runner last year.

RG3 is the same height and weight as Aaron Rodgers.

'nuff said

Oh man, another RG3 size thread.

First of all Cowturd, the man is 6'2 not 6'1 and second, he is the same height and weight of some of the elite QBs in the NFL. Oh and he's bigger than Michael Vick.

Are you kidding me?? RG3 is already the best running QB in the NFL. Can you name anyone else you'd rather pull down a pass and run it?

Come on, man.

Some straight truth above. RGIII is a throw first, run if you got to QB. Not a Vick, get over mediots.

I may be the only person on here that doesnt hate cowherd.... his sean taylor comments were ill timed. i have to say i find myself agreeing with him more often than not, and hes right. Griff is too small for the running aspect of his game to be a major factor for us. what he needs to do is run only when he needs to just to keep the D honest. i like many of us have defended his size plenty of times and he is the same size as Romo sits to pee, who happens to be fragile. he is the same size as rodgers but rodgers is a pocket passer who runs only when necessary (257 yds last season). Though many of you all hate Cowherd, you have to take in his points about Roethlisberger who is HUGE and cant stay healthy. All those facts aside, can Griff be a succesful runner? Heck Yea he can but he needs to take care of himself more so than other guys. We dont know for sure what kind of beating he can take but i dont really want to find out. When it comes to running and his size Vick is the only guy he can be compared to because these other QBs were comparing him to arent runners... Vick is and we know about his durability

---------- Post added August-16th-2012 at 05:28 PM ----------

Regardless of what Cowherd said and the Cowherd hate, he does make some good points. Although I do disagree with him here.

I don't think RG3 is too small to be an NFL runner, I just think he has to be smart about running. It doesn't matter who it is, this isn't college..size/speed none of that matters. A QB in the NFL is not a RB, it doesn't mean he can't be successful running because he most definitely can, he just has to be smart and limit the hits he takes. It isn't gonna matter if he's 217 or 235, if he takes too many hits while running, he's gonna get injured.

I really don't think it matters because RG3 has proven he can pass, he's proven he'll run when necessary. He's a smart guy with smart coaches...you can prevent all injuries, but he'll be well prepared for game situations.

I agree with you on just about everything you said and like the fact that you sound like you heard the the show and are thinking un biased. personally i would prefer if he had 0 designed runs and only did when necessary. he seems to be getting compared to Rodgers a lot, but how many designed runs does he have? how many do you think the Pack called last year?

The word chosen is effective. I think we can all agree he can be effective.....not an every down running back.....not as shifty as Mike Vick......Not as big as Newton or Tebow but he can certainly be effective.

I honestly think that people overestimate his running just because he is fast. Was James Jett the best WR? Did anyone draft BOLT. Wiggle matters more than speed.

Mark my words.........I will wager on this.....

His arm will make more plays than his legs!!!

RGIII will not run often. He will use his speed to escape and throw down field. At most he gets 5-7 rushes including scrambles. Maybe more often in the red zone. He averaged 3.1 per carry in college....do not be misled he is a throwing QB who happens to be fast. He still has a lot to learn in terms of the "shake and Bake".

To small to be effective? No. If you believe otherwise you are slow. Now he is not small but he isn't big either. And he has a smaller upper body. Combine that with his upright running style he took some killer omg I hope he's okay shots in college.

I've never seen Cam get hit like that. If griff gets hit by a 250lb 4.5 guy in the NFL that way he might not get up like he did in college. So while I'm not doubting his effectiveness as a runner I do have doubts about how durable he will be if we allow him to run too much (which I doubt we will)

Archived