Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tuesday 8/14: Training Camp Tweets (with a side order of what-not) - Hankerson "fine" (post #58)/Nield out for year (ACL)

Good to hear about Hankerson. I am excited to see what he can do this season, but I think Garcon will be the star of our WRs. Hankerson can be a close number two.

I agree. It could start swinging the other way towards the end of the season however, as coverages start shifting more towards Garcon. But Hankerson still has almost no real NFL game experience, so he's still going to be testing moves and other such things out.

Good to hear about Hankerson. I am excited to see what he can do this season, but I think Garcon will be the star of our WRs. Hankerson can be a close number two.

Garcon is looking like the steal of free agency. It's easy to see why Shanahan was so high on him and he has done nothing but impress. I also think Hankerson will really emerge this season.

I think we need to. Last season we had Golston, Neild, and...Scott? Or was it Worthington?

This season it should be Neild, Baker, and Jenkins. Neild looked better in this past preseason game than I remember him from last season. And Cofield can play DE just fine, he was really good as a DT in the Giants 4-3. And the Giants don't have their DT's lineup in only 1 spot throughout the game.

What with injuries and the like, we want a deep and talented d-line rotation. Our front 7 is the best unit on our team. I'd like to make that a definitive strength.

We didn't invest the money in Cofield and time last year transitioning him to NT to play him at DE. He has the ability and the right attitude and will only continue to get better at the position. You have to consider several things when talking about playing him at DE. It would keep him on the field more which is the opposite of our coaches' stated goal. Secondly, it would keep Jenkins and/or Bowen off the field. The only reason to put Jenkins in at NT on passing downs (nickel) is because he's a good pass rusher and that allows us to keep both Bowen and Carriker in at DE because while Bowen had a great year rushing the passer last year, Carriker was not far behind in that category so it allows for our best pass rushing combination. Cofield is no slouch in this department, or at least he wasn't as a DT in a 4-3 so you could push him out to DE in the nickel, but again this takes snaps away from others.

My main point is that the 2nd string NT sees a lot of action but if you have a third pure 3-4 NT rather than a hybrid guy like Jenkins, aka Neild, he's probably hardly ever going to see the field. I would not be shocked to see us line up Cofield, Baker and Carriker on running downs but again, that's still not opening up any playing time or real reason for Neild to be out there. What I do know though, is that no one thought Neild was going to make the team last year based on low reviews in camp and his competition was a surprise final cut and Neild was a solid player for us last year. Definitely going to be some hard cuts on the D-line this year.

Archived