Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tuesday 8/14: Training Camp Tweets (with a side order of what-not) - Hankerson "fine" (post #58)/Nield out for year (ACL)

I was wondering that as well. I'd assume we would keep him instead of the last receiver and see him as the primary return guy and also have a package of plays for him as a slot receiver and running back on some of the zone read stuff.

That's what I was presuming when I asked.

But I only see us carrying 6 receivers presuming Paul picks up and can be added as a TE/ WR in a number crunch; so to lose an out and out wide-out would be a gamble.

Hail.

*Edit* 5 sorry. Typo. Paul would make the 6.

Heroes on display at RG3's locker

The Washington Redskins opened their locker room to reporters for the first time Tuesday, revealing Robert Griffin III's cubbyhole with six figurines, including Spider-Man, the Incredible Hulk, an extra-muscular version of Captain America and, of course, a Baylor Bear.

Underneath each figurine is a slogan. Spider-Man is "Amazing." Others include "Conquer Every Obstacle," "Sacrifice" and "Army Strong." The bear, a nod to his college team, gets a simple "BU." The Hulk is so large he's on a shelf by himself, accompanied by the words, "Be Unstoppable."

As for Carriker, his first reaction to having Griffin as a neighbor was a concern about crowd control -- he feared reporters would be congesting the area to try to talk to the rookie. He recognized that wouldn't be a problem, however, once he learned how tightly the Redskins are controlling Griffin's access to the media.

"Then I realized," Carriker said, "he's never going to talk to you guys in here."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/id/8268671/robert-griffin-iii-hero-inspiration-display-washington-redskins-locker?asid=8eb65b03

I don't think it's that simple or you'd see so many teams succeeding with straight speedsters as one of their WRs.

Also Demps is 5 foot 7 and about 180. He would need to be at least 2 steps behind a defender to be effective as a deep threat.

I see him as a slightly bigger and maybe better Brandon Banks who can also contribute a bit more in the base offence but would be primarily a kick returner.

Sebastian Salazar ‏@SebiSalazar

Though he wasn't the biggest name they met, #Redskins punter Sav Rocca wowed #DCU players w/tales of Aussie Football.

---------- Post added August-14th-2012 at 01:35 PM ----------

Dan Graziano ‏@espn_nfceast

Well, I'd argue that Baker helps them handle this news. RT @ohjdidit: @espn_nfceast this news helps chris baker right?

---------- Post added August-14th-2012 at 01:36 PM ----------

Rich Tandler ‏@Rich_Tandler

Neild played 162 snaps last year, about 15 percent of the plays. Chris Baker (running downs) and Jarvis Jenkins (nickel) will spell Cofield.

---------- Post added August-14th-2012 at 01:42 PM ----------

Dan Graziano ‏@espn_nfceast

Redskins to lean on defensive-line depth http://es.pn/N0Z0CP

It's disappointing news for a Redskins team that plans to rely heavily on its defensive front as a strength this season, but if there's one place at which they are deep enough to weather a loss of a player, defensive line is probably it. With Cofield, Stephen Bowen and Adam Carriker as starters and the likes of Jarvis Jenkins and Chris Baker on the bench, the Redskins remain prepared to rotate several defensive linemen from play to play without wearing anyone down too much. Baker, in fact, has been such a revelation in the offseason and in training camp that he was already pushing Neild for playing time and maybe even a roster spot.

So as long as they don't start having a run on defensive-tackle injuries the way the Giants have, the Redskins should be OK at the position. It's just a shame for Neild, who showed some good things last year.

---------- Post added August-14th-2012 at 01:42 PM ----------

Rich Campbell ‏@Rich_Campbell

Losing Chris Neild also hurts #Redskins special teams. Neild was on the KO return unit vs. Buffalo. However, he was not on FG protect.

---------- Post added August-14th-2012 at 01:44 PM ----------

TWLhV5yA

Ashley Creamer ‏@PrincessPhluff

just received my redskins clothes for the season =)

You're right but not many "speedsters" are Demps fast.

Besides, he's more than just a track guy. Dude is a football player.

Wouldnt he need to enter the draft next year?

Or did he enter the draft this year, but because he said he was going to focus on track, that no one picked him?

Wouldnt he need to enter the draft next year?

Or did he enter the draft this year, but because he said he was going to focus on track, that no one picked him?

".... Demps has signed with an agent and is hoping to play for an NFL team this season.

Demps went undrafted after he informed teams he was pursuing track fulltime."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8268836/2012-london-games-silver-medalist-jeff-demps-reportedly-pursuing-nfl-career

Archived