Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Snyder on Gameday Experience

Riggo#44

Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/dan-snyder-on-the-fan-experience/2012/08/06/7d5f2984-e01b-11e1-a19c-fcfa365396c8_blog.html

But Snyder also spent some time talking to hosts Ross Tucker and Pat Kirwan about less Redskins-specific issues, such as improving the in-game fan experience to keep people from wanting to watch NFL games at home

“I think it starts before the game,” Snyder explained. “It starts at the tailgate: the experience, your friends, your family, and tailgating. We happen to have the largest tailgate system in the National Football League, and we’re real proud of it. And when you come to a Redskins game three hours before, it is a sea of Redskins fans tailgating, having a great time with their family, their friends.

“And then at the stadium you’ve got to constantly update the equipment,” Snyder continued.

“We’re putting in ribbon boards this year. Last year we put in this giant new scoreboards and video boards. And I think you’ve got to continually make sure that the fan experience is at the highest level, and is something they can’t get at home. What they can do at home — and we encourage them — is watch the games. But I think for all of us that watch football in person, there’s nothing like being live.”

Really want to improve the Gameday Experience? New Stadium, In DC. Right by Nats Park. FedEx was a colossal mistake and a dump.

Well, they're stuck at FedEx for the immediate future, so no use in whining about that. Gotta hand it to Snyder, though...there are plenty of owners out there who never spend. Snyder at least ponies up the dough.

I will give him that -- I just really hate that stadium...

Speaking as a season ticket holder I can say I hope Fed-ex remains for many years. Personally it would be cool to get a more modern open air design for a stadium, but to me it's not worth the associated rises in concessions, tickets, parking and merchandise to make that happen. And above all, I could easily see PSL's coming with any new stadium.

Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/dan-snyder-on-the-fan-experience/2012/08/06/7d5f2984-e01b-11e1-a19c-fcfa365396c8_blog.html

Really want to improve the Gameday Experience? New Stadium, In DC. Right by Nats Park. FedEx was a colossal mistake and a dump.

Awesome! You pay my PSLs for me and I'll let you go to the first two seasons worth of games for free.

Deal?

It's funny when FedEx was first built it was the stadium of all stadiums. It was the first of it's kind. Now it is one of the oldest of the new stadiums and considered a dump!! lol My biggest complaint is the music they blast. The only sound I want is the anouncer and the crowd.

It's funny when FedEx was first built it was the stadium of all stadiums. It was the first of it's kind.

Not really. Carolina's stadium opened a year before FedEx. It's was a nicer facility at the time, and it was/is more state of the art than FedEx, despite being slightly older.

yeah just give him a break though... Creation of FedEX wasn't Snyder's mistake...

I agree and while the location for FedEx is pretty awful, I don't think the stadium itself is bad. Besides obstructed view seats, I think the views and sightlines are pretty good anywhere you are. I think winning would change a lot of people's opinion about FedEx personally.

Anyway, probably a noob question but what is a Ribbon Board?

FedEx isn't a dump...it just doesn't have character. RFK was a dump but it had character. Put a winning team in FedEx and see how much better it will be. I think we're on the right track in that regard (finally).

And don't forget, Cooke actually built the current stadium, so Snyder inherited it when he bought the team. And like others said, he is not afraid to put money into it...first to expand it, now to reduce the capacity and make it look a little more unique.

I'm one of the few that likes it not being in the city...but that's probably because I can get there in under 20 minutes (without bad traffic). ;)

I agree and while the location for FedEx is pretty awful, I don't think the stadium itself is bad. Besides obstructed view seats, I think the views and sightlines are pretty good anywhere you are. I think winning would change a lot of people's opinion about FedEx personally.

Anyway, probably a noob question but what is a Ribbon Board?

it sounds like one of those scrolling boards that go around the rings of the different levels.

They've done a lot to that stadium and I don't think it's a dump. I agree whole heartidly that there isn't a bad seat in that stadium for the most part. And I sit (and have sat for years) in row 29 of the 400s. People who are in here griping are the same ones that don't even go to games.

BTW, great Casablanca reference. #classic

Anybody know what our "tailgating system" is? I hope its not a system in which people will eventually be charged to tailgate.

it's the farm system for the offensive line of the Maryland Jails Football Conference.

Try adding 30,000 fans - minimum - to a sellout Nats crowd. Then try getting out of that area. I don't see that as an improvement to the game day experience.

Try adding 30,000 fans - minimum - to a sellout Nats crowd. Then try getting out of that area. I don't see that as an improvement to the game day experience.

that's only part of it -- Nats park is much better designed, a better atmosphere -- even when the Nats were losing 100 games -- than FedEx has ever had. When FedEx was opened, it was called a "concrete slab" it hasn't changed.

want to improve the experience? Allow vendors to set up in parts around the lot so people can try different stuff. I'm not saying making it free for them to set up. But maybe do a solid for the community and have 20% of each sale go to a Skins related charity. So they have licenses to be there.

that's only part of it -- Nats park is much better designed, a better atmosphere -- even when the Nats were losing 100 games -- than FedEx has ever had. When FedEx was opened, it was called a "concrete slab" it hasn't changed.

If you are one of the fans trying to get out of there it could be the BIGGEST part of it and make any other part of it irrelevant.

If you are one of the fans trying to get out of there it could be the BIGGEST part of it and make any other part of it irrelevant.

Getting in and out of any stadium is a pain in the ass. So, what goes on in the stadium during the game is the bigger part of it, in my opinion. FedEx just has the same feel as the 70's multi-purpose cookie-cutter stadiums -- minus the bad astroturf.

---------- Post added August-7th-2012 at 10:42 AM ----------

Enjoy your PSL's.

Fedex isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

If FedEx isn't going anywhere anytime soon, would we still need to worry about PSLs?

Fed Ex is what it is. An utilitarian uninspired piece of architecture. It's perfectly functional for seeing a football game. The parking lots allow for some of the best tailgating in the NFL. The size makes for a full day commitment as getting 80,000 people in and more importantly out is a herculian task which is difficult to accomplish. I for one am in no hurry to see PSL's come to fruition and will be happy to keep going to FedEx for a long time. Winning would make the place grow on everyone.

I will never go back to FedEx as long as I live, winning or not. Absolute horrid place, in all aspects. You couldn't give me tickets.

I'm the same way. Free tickets aren't worth the hassle of getting there and back, having to pay crap tons of money for any food/drink you get there, and then barely being able to see anything at the game from the upper deck while you're surrounded by thousands of drunk fools.

Archived