Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's your favorite event at the summer Olympics?

renaissance

Wrestling is one of the three main martial arts in the world's fastest growing sport (MMA). It has FINALLY found its place in professional sports, you can now make great money having elite wrestling skills. I think wrestling is respected more now than it ever has been, it's been a game-changing skill in a plethora of fights over the past 20 years.

The Olympic committee just made the most panzy-ass decision, probably in their entire history. Can't wait to hear what Dana White has to say about this.

Wrestling is one of the three main martial arts in the world's fastest growing sport (MMA). It has FINALLY found its place in professional sports, you can now make great money having elite wrestling skills. I think wrestling is respected more now than it ever has been, it's been a game-changing skill in a plethora of fights over the past 20 years.

The Olympic committee just made the most panzy-ass decision, probably in their entire history. Can't wait to hear what Dana White has to say about this.

Problem is, USA Wrestling is a COMPLETE cluster**** and is having a difficult time promoting the sport here in the US (as evidenced by the dwindling funding in recent years). It's an old boys administrative network and their supreme inability to operate the organization is killing wrestling. My advice would be like, say, stop hiring former wrestlers to run the administration: they are the most inept workers I've ever dealt with in regards to organization, or even knowing what the **** is going on. It's laughable. I have stories for days about my dealings with that organization and I have no respect for the way it's run and how it treats its national team wrestlers. Bottom line: the support for wrestlers in the US sucks major tuna water.

That said, the decision to yank wrestling from the Olympics is one of the worst IOC decisions I've seen in recent years (and there have been some doozies).

My understanding is that this is not the final, final vote on this issue. I believe the final vote will take place in Russia (a country where wrestling is extremely popular) in the near future.

Problem is, USA Wrestling is a COMPLETE cluster**** and is having a difficult time promoting the sport here in the US (as evidenced by the dwindling funding in recent years). It's an old boys administrative network and their supreme inability to operate the organization is killing wrestling. My advice would be like, say, stop hiring former wrestlers to run the administration: they are the most inept workers I've ever dealt with in regards to organization, or even knowing what the **** is going on. It's laughable. I have stories for days about my dealings with that organization and I have no respect for the way it's run and how it treats its national team wrestlers. Bottom line: the support for wrestlers in the US sucks major tuna water.

That said, the decision to yank wrestling from the Olympics is one of the worst IOC decisions I've seen in recent years (and there have been some doozies).

My understanding is that this is not the final, final vote on this issue. I believe the final vote will take place in Russia (a country where wrestling is extremely popular) in the near future.

Fast forward to the 45 second mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Teg5WDkCFw

Hold the phone. Looks like they are going to meet and talk about it. It's not final just yet:

LAUSANNE, Switzerland -- IOC president Jacques Rogge will meet with the head of wrestling's governing body to discuss ways the sport can fight to save its place in the 2020 Olympics.

The IOC executive board removed wrestling from the program of the 2020 Games on Tuesday, cutting it from the list of 26 sports at last year's London Olympics.

The decision, which still must be ratified by the full IOC in September, has been widely criticized by wrestling organizations around the world.

Rogge said Wednesday he's been contacted by Raphael Martinetti, the president of international wrestling federation FILA, and was encouraged by the sport's determination to remain in the Games.

"We agreed we would meet at the first opportunity to have discussions," Rogge said at a news conference at the close of a two-day board meeting. "I should say FILA reacted well to this disheartening news for them.

"They vowed to adapt the sport and vowed to fight to be eventually included in the 2020 slot."

Wrestling, which remains on the program for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, still has a chance to stay on the list for 2020 -- if it manages to convince the IOC to reverse the board's decision.

Wrestling now joins seven other sports in applying for one opening on the 2020 program: a combined bid from baseball and softball, karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and the martial art of wushu.

The IOC executive board will meet in May in St. Petersburg, Russia, to decide which sport or sports to propose for 2020 inclusion. The final vote will be made at the IOC general assembly in September in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/wrestling/story/_/id/8942869/ioc-president-jacques-rogge-meet-wrestling-leader

Talked to my friend at USOC today and there are a few theories being floated around about this recommendation by the IOC to pull wrestling. Take it for what it's worth :)

First, this is not a final vote. There is a vote to decide which sports get to be voted on by the IOC membership. The initial vote is in Russia in May. The final vote is in September.

The primary theory about this decision is that the IOC doesn't want the other sports in, so they dropped a sport that can get a majority vote over others.

It'll be interesting to see the vote results in May and September. But ultimately, he doesn't think wrestling is going to get removed from the Olympic Games.

Talked to my friend at USOC today and there are a few theories being floated around about this recommendation by the IOC to pull wrestling. Take it for what it's worth :)

First, this is not a final vote. It'll be interesting to see the vote results in May and September. But ultimately, he doesn't think wrestling is going to get removed from the Olympic Games.

Glad you cleared that up. Everyone's been saying it's a done deal, but I had heard it was "up for vote", meaning, at least to me, that it wasn't final. I hope wrestling stays.

Faves are basketball, gymnastics, and track & field. Have to admit...I knew absolutely nothing about trampoline, but was automatically hooked...kinda like curling in the winter games, serious concentration involved there.

Olympic Wrestling Canceled Because Of Gay Conspiracy, Russian Coach Claims

A Russian coach furious about the International Olympic Committee's recent decision to remove wrestling from the 2020 Olympics has made an inflammatory claim about who is to blame for the move.

Speaking to Russian sports site R-Sport, Russian wrestling coach Vladimir Uruimagov said that the IOC's decision was evidence of a gay conspiracy.

“If they expel wrestling now, that means that gays will soon run the whole world,” Uruimagov said, adding that cutting wrestling from the Olympic program was “a blow to masculine origins.”

Click on the link for the full article

Olympic Wrestling Canceled Because Of Gay Conspiracy, Russian Coach Claims

A Russian coach furious about the International Olympic Committee's recent decision to remove wrestling from the 2020 Olympics has made an inflammatory claim about who is to blame for the move.

Speaking to Russian sports site R-Sport, Russian wrestling coach Vladimir Uruimagov said that the IOC's decision was evidence of a gay conspiracy.

“If they expel wrestling now, that means that gays will soon run the whole world,” Uruimagov said, adding that cutting wrestling from the Olympic program was “a blow to masculine origins.”

Click on the link for the full article

He's right. Getting rid of a sport where two half-naked guys grab, straddle, and do who knows what else to each other is a real blow to masculinity.

Archived