Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Monday 7/30: training camp tweets

Haha, Vinnny addressed our OL woes even less than Shanahan/Allen does.

---------- Post added July-30th-2012 at 05:21 PM ----------

Guess not if you wait 'til now to address the problem.

Yes,because they have done nothing to address the Oline at all the last three years...

Salary cap penalty really biting us in the ass here. Shannahan and co did everything they could with limited resources. I would bet if they had more room we would have picked up top fa linemen.

Pretty sure we had Eric Winston, Ben Grubbs, and possibly Evan Mathis in here for a visit. Those are all top guys at either guard or right tackle. Given that 2 of those 3 names are guards, I think they felt like they had a big question mark with Kory's ability to recover. So when we got hit by the penalty and couldn't get a quality LG in FA, we then draft 2 guards.

Let's let these young guys on the line, most of whom are rookies, grow a little bit and play in some preseason games before we start panicking. My God, we had an even worse situation last season and yet, eventually, Polumbus, Hurt and Smith helped manage to make our line one of the better rushing ones in the league as well as an okay one against the rush.

Calm down. We've got Leribeus, Gettis and Compton in the mix now as well.

Fans have selective memory. In three drafts, Shanny has spent a 1st (TW), 3rd (LeRibeus), 5th (Gettis), 6th (Compton), three 7ths (Cook, Capers, Hurt), and found some nice UDFAs (Smith, Garner). That's 7 OLs out of 27 players drafted by this regime. Easily our most frequently targeted area.

ES is a hoot. There is a difference between being concerned about our O-line and scheduling an emergency trip to the gynocologist. Our O-line needs help and I think our FO is doing the best it can to address the issues while bringing in RG3 and other skill position players.

We are far from being complete football team. I, for one, will enjoy the transformation. RG3 will take his lumps this year, regardless of who is blocking for him.

Let's all put in our man-pons in and suck it up. It's a long season, and we're just a few days into training camp.

Fans have selective memory. In three drafts, Shanny has spent a 1st (TW), 3rd (LeRibeus), 5th (Gettis), 6th (Compton), three 7ths (Cook, Capers, Hurt), and found some nice UDFAs (Smith, Garner). That's 7 OLs out of 27 players drafted by this regime. Easily our most frequently targeted area.

That doesn't even account for trading for JB (good or bad as that may end up, it was one of the first things he did upon becoming head coach), and signed Kory Lichensteiger in his first year, then signed Chris Chester in his second, promoted Monty, jettisioned Casey Rabach (which was addition by subtraction), we got Tyler Polumbus off the street for a song and he played well for us down the stretch...it's not exactly like Mike's been ignoring it. Far from it. Plus we very clearly targeted offensive lineman this offseason before the cap hit destroyed us.

Shanahan has invested more time and energy into building the o-line in three seasons than Vinny and Danny did in the previous decade.

That doesn't even account for trading for JB (good or bad as that may end up, it was one of the first things he did upon becoming head coach), and signed Kory Lichensteiger in his first year, then signed Chris Chester in his second, promoted Monty, jettisioned Casey Rabach (which was addition by subtraction), we got Tyler Polumbus off the street for a song and he played well for us down the stretch...it's not exactly like Mike's been ignoring it. Far from it. Plus we very clearly targeted offensive lineman this offseason before the cap hit destroyed us.

How many O-Linemen do you guys think Vinny brought to the Redskins during his first three offseasons with the team?

Shanahan has invested more time and energy into building the o-line in three seasons than Vinny and Danny did in the previous decade.

In a very real sense, he had to...Shanahan had to get the right type of O-Linemen to run his zone blocking scheme, which by default meant finding different types of linemen than what the Skins had. So it was a double whammy of being left with a bare talent cupboard, and needing to go out and find specific types of linemen who could work in his scheme.

Shanny has done a good job of building back up the line and has invested a lof of picks and money, but you're wearing your burgundy & gold sunglasses if you're not concerned about the situation at RT. I'm sure the cap hit hurt, but by all accounts we have $2 + million in cap space still left and we could potentially have had more by making some tough cut reasonable cuts (i.e. Cooley). The money was probably there to bring in guy like D. Bell, but we tried to bring him in at our price and Philly got desperate and made the move first. In the meantime we were hoping that Jamaal Brown got healthy for the 3rd straight season. As the saying goes, foo me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. I'm sorry, but you can't gamble on a 30+ yr old who's hasn't been healthy since 2008. To their defense, its possible that they felt if the only remaining options were oft injured players, why not bet on Brown. I'd still take a shot on a younger guys rebounding from an injury than Jamaal who again, hasn't played a relatively healthy of effective season since 2008.

I'm in no way saying I don't have confidence in Shanahan and Allen, I just think they made a bad bet here. I'm hoping they can find a team that has a solid 3rd tackle and can swing some type of deal before the regular season starts. Their sense of urgency behind making such a move will probably be determined by the results of Jamaal's appointment with his doc today. If you're gambling on health, at this point I'd take a shot on Mcneil being healthy over Brown.

I do like what they've done with the interior o-line. With Gettis and LeRib backing up the interior o-line spots, we're in great position to absorb an injury. Eventually I'm hoping those guys push Monty and Chester for their starting spots.

Mike Jones ‏@MikeJonesWaPo

Griffin said DHall made him carry his pads today for telling him he breaks arm tackles.

Dez Bryant wouldn't carry pads. Shows how mature our guy is.

---------- Post added July-31st-2012 at 08:08 AM ----------

Am I the only one who noticed a serious improvement in the running game when Polumbus came in for Jammal Brown? The dude was a bull last year.

I'm not terrible worried about Lich. He'll be ready to start the season, but we have the Clown Killer in case something happens and Mo Hurt did place better as the season went on last year. Let's take a deep breath here and let these guys figure each other out.

We are talking five days of camp, men.

Agree. I'm comfortable with Polumbus at RT. Hurt can play LG until Kory is back. We'll be fine. Smith had a "ding" on his knee.

Willie and Polumbus are solid backups, but the FO never should have relied on Jamaal.

Agreed!

---------- Post added July-31st-2012 at 08:17 AM ----------

Guess not if you wait 'til now to address the problem.

Bingo. We have no other options at OT because the FO didn't take it seriously enouogh when there were options out there.

How many O-Linemen do you guys think Vinny brought to the Redskins during his first three offseasons with the team?

In a very real sense, he had to...Shanahan had to get the right type of O-Linemen to run his zone blocking scheme, which by default meant finding different types of linemen than what the Skins had. So it was a double whammy of being left with a bare talent cupboard, and needing to go out and find specific types of linemen who could work in his scheme.

Yep, I wonder how much looking for only ZBS-types has limited our ability to address the OL even further....

Bingo. We have no other options at OT because the FO didn't take it seriously enouogh when there were options out there.

Are you serious? We were hamstrung with a 36 million dollar cap penalty. It was either get actual playmakers for RG3 to throw to, or help the o-line. Our first draft pick after RG3 was a Guard. Which in hindsight looks pretty damn good given the issues Lichtensteiger is having.

So are you saying we shouldn't have gone after Garcon?

Polumbus, Smith, Hurt, Lee, and Compton can all play tackle. 4 of the 5 have some starting experience. So I don't get the overreaction of the state of our line and the precautions of Shanny and Bruce. Everyone is in a frenzy because Willie bumped knees.

Are you serious? We were hamstrung with a 36 million dollar cap penalty. It was either get actual playmakers for RG3 to throw to, or help the o-line. Our first draft pick after RG3 was a Guard. Which in hindsight looks pretty damn good given the issues Lichtensteiger is having.

So are you saying we shouldn't have gone after Garcon?

They have $2+MM now in space space after signing Garcon and could have created more earlier on if the made a tough call & cut Cooley. The money wasn't their for a big-time acquisition, but other options were available that were not hindered by the cap penalty.

I so completely understand. But at this point I'm ready to start just booting non-performers. We've been marred in them for years. I've had nothing but hope and positive karma regarding him. But its time to go Steelers and Pats like. They treat it like an absolute business. Perform, or PEACE

Archived