Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grantland: The Top Battles to Be QB1

MattFancy

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8041164/the-starting-qb-jobs-for-grabs-offseason-stories-matter

6. Washington Redskins

Incumbent: Rex Grossman

Challenger: Robert Griffin III

This is the first opportunity on our list where each guy has at least a 25 percent chance of ending up with the gig for Week 1. Why is RG3's path to the job a little cloudier than Luck's? Well, because Rex Grossman already knows the offense and is a better player than Drew Stanton. At the very least, he has more experience. Of the quarterback situations surrounding the draft's top two picks, this is the one more likely to start with the veteran taking the reins at the beginning of the year before giving way to the rookie sometime later. Can't you see the Redskins trailing by three touchdowns to the Falcons at home in the first half of Week 5, benching an ineffective Grossman for RG3, and nearly making it all the way back in the second half before narrowly coming up short? This is going to happen.

Um is does he know something we don't? Pretty sure Shanny said RGIII is the starter and by all reports has looked amazing during the OTAs. Is there really a competition at all?

I may just chalk this up to uninformed and shoddy reporting. But I suppose it is possible he is just trying to stir the pot. But to what end? I suppose it could net them plenty of hits from Skins fans ready to explain why he is a moron.

This was his response on Twitter:

Bill Barnwell ‏@billbarnwell

Yeah, Shanahan's never said he'd start someone and done the opposite. RT @MarkFogliato: Shanahan already said RGIII would start

This was his response on Twitter:

Bill Barnwell ‏@billbarnwell

Yeah, Shanahan's never said he'd start someone and done the opposite. RT @MarkFogliato: Shanahan already said RGIII would start

When has Shanahan drafted a QB, said unequivocally that he is the day 1 starter, and then turned around and later changed his mind (change his mind for an incredibly mediocre QB with zero upside, no less)? If memory serves, he didn't do that with Cutler; didn't he essentially say that Cutler "could possibly start" but that he was taking a wait and see approach?

IMO this guy knows he is full of it and is just trying to cover his ass now that he got called out for writing something stupid.

Especially since RG3 is working with the first team and Rex is working with the second team and Shanahan said RG3 is the starter. This article has zero merit. I could see if they were splitting reps with the first team but they are not.

Was he being sarcastic there or was that a genuine response?

I think he was serious

When has Shanahan drafted a QB, said unequivocally that he is the day 1 starter, and then turned around and later changed his mind (change his mind for an incredibly mediocre QB with zero upside, no less)? If memory serves, he didn't do that with Cutler; didn't he essentially say that Cutler "could possibly start" but that he was taking a wait and see approach?

IMO this guy knows he is full of it and is just trying to cover his ass now that he got called out for writing something stupid.

Exactly. He's just blowing smoke

Exactly, he can't just throw that statement out, he needs to back it up with facts or admit he wasn't diligent on his homework for that article.

... by all reports has looked amazing during the OTAs.

Reports are not all that Griffin has been 'amazing'.

In fact all reports i've heard/read suggest that he's on par with being a rookie. The biggest plus being that he clearly has made a real good attempt at knowing the playbook.

Reports are not all that Griffin has been 'amazing'.

In fact all reports i've heard/read suggest that he's on par with being a rookie. The biggest plus being that he clearly has made a real good attempt at knowing the playbook.

Agreed to a point. It sounds like most of what people are raving about are his intangibles: his great work ethic, command in the huddle, his ability to pick up the playbook quickly. As far as his actual play he is bound to get some "oohs and ahhs" when a play breaks down and he has to scramble. His athleticism alone along with his arm are enough for some of that during OTA's and minicamp. But you're right in that it sounds like, as far as his passing, he is making strides but is still showing himself sometimes to be exactly what he is: a rookie QB who is learning the NFL game. And I wouldn't expect anything different; I hope there aren't TOO many fans who are expecting RG3 to go out and immediately start dominating.

When did sports media decide that it'd be better to just resort to the same tactics that Bleacher Report does?

When the number of hits to their websites became more important than actual journalism. I think we've reached something of an event horizon with that at this point. No going back. The internet can be great. But it has also done some horrible things to our society.

At least he's not peddling that RGIII vs. Cousins junk.

If all you knew was that Grossman was the incumbent and RGIII was the rookie, independent of everything else, you might get away with this article. Problem is, every bit of information says RGIII is the starter, and you don't even have to dig that much to learn that.

Archived