Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.Com: Browns thought Robert Griffin III was 'too small'(M.E.T.)

chunglao

The Browns should really get their house in order.

They used a first on a soon to be 29 year old QB and also traded up one spot to take a running back that Jim Brown has said looks to be nothing but ordinary.

Oops.

To be fair what Jim Brown thinks of as ordinary in a running back most people consider All Pro ;) He keeps comparing them to himself .....

To make matters worse, they reached for Mitchell Scwartz in the second (in my opinion) whey could've drafted Rueben Randle or Stephen Hill, only added one receiver in Travis Benjamin (who is fast but has questionable hands and can't beat press coverage)...I mean...what the hell?

This point about the WRs is the biggest one. They basically have the same corp as last year, which led the NFL in drops. Little might come along a bit, but mainly they're still stuck with one of the worst WR groups in the NFL. I feel like if anyone knew what they were doing over there, they'd have done something like take Blackmon, then go right back and snag Wright by trading a 4th to move up a few spots.

The RB market this year was cold as ice, and very solid guys, who aren't quite starters but are better than the average #2, were a dime a dozen. They could have assembled a crew of Ryan Grant, Michael Bush, and Tim Hightower for less than the cost of Richardson, and then drafted good weapons.

I have to think something is seriously wrong with McCoy. I hope he's ok, but him being seriously injured is the only lens through which these moves make sense.

This point about the WRs is the biggest one. They basically have the same corp as last year, which led the NFL in drops. Little might come along a bit, but mainly they're still stuck with one of the worst WR groups in the NFL. I feel like if anyone knew what they were doing over there, they'd have done something like take Blackmon, then go right back and snag Wright by trading a 4th to move up a few spots.

The RB market this year was cold as ice, and very solid guys, who aren't quite starters but are better than the average #2, were a dime a dozen. They could have assembled a crew of Ryan Grant, Michael Bush, and Tim Hightower for less than the cost of Richardson, and then drafted good weapons.

I have to think something is seriously wrong with McCoy. I hope he's ok, but him being seriously injured is the only lens through which these moves make sense.

I just dont think the Browns believe he is that good. He doesn't have a strong arm or physical attributes and I don't think he adjusting well to the game from the spread offense he ran at Texas.

I'm getting so tired of the "RG3 is too small" crap.

Griffin III is 6'2 223.

Therefore Aaron Rodgers (6'2 225), Andy Dalton (6'2 220), Micheal Vick (6'0 215), Drew Brees (6'0 209) Christian Ponder (6'2 229), Matthew Stafford (6'2 230), and Ryan Fitzpatrick (6'2 225) are all too small for the NFL.

Not too small for the NFL or success, however those two things are not the standards by which the Browns measure a QB. images.jpg

Keep this in mind....Brownsfan.jpg

To be fair, Greg Little really started to turn it on later in the season. He was raw as all get out coming out of UNC, particularly after missing a year, but he made some big plays in the second half of the season, and Pat Shumur actually got pretty creative with how to get him the ball, including using him at running back. So Little can develop into something solid.

But everyone else? I mean...they could've taken ANYONE. I love Josh Cribbs, but he's never going to be a number one receiver. Travis Benjamin, like I said; fast with iffy hands and can't beat press. They haven't figured out a way to use Benjamin Watson, so they probably needed a tight end. They needed all that more than they could've possibly need Scwartz, who I liked, but probably could've been had later and isn't really great in the run game, which means they now have TWO tackles that aren't great in the run game...after spending a first round pick on a running back.

When you're a city like Cleveland, and no one wants to come play for you unless you throw a ton of money at them, and you're not willing to do that, it's the one time where I'm like "okay, you know what? It's probably better to draft for need". Because if they really going BPA...that's baaaaaadddd scouting.

---------- Post added June-6th-2012 at 01:56 PM ----------

I just dont think the Browns believe he is that good. He doesn't have a strong arm or physical attributes and I don't think he adjusting well to the game from the spread offense he ran at Texas.

He also didn't have help though. He doesn't have a big arm, but he's got an okay enough arm, and he can throw it down field, I've seen him do it. But he had had no receivers to help him out.

And if the problem was Colt not being able to adjust from playing in a spread offense, why would they then go and draft another spread quarterback?

I'm not saying they should've stuck with Colt if they didn't like him or feel like he could be a franchise guy, but it sure as hell is hard to evaluate a dude when his receivers lead the NFL in drops. That means Colt's putting the ball where it needs to be and guys aren't coming up with the catches.

And if the problem was Colt not being able to adjust from playing in a spread offense, why would they then go and draft another spread quarterback?

I'm not saying they should've stuck with Colt if they didn't like him or feel like he could be a franchise guy, but it sure as hell is hard to evaluate a dude when his receivers lead the NFL in drops. That means Colt's putting the ball where it needs to be and guys aren't coming up with the catches.

Well, yeah that doesn't make much sense either but by all accounts Weeden is a much better pro prospect than McCoy ever was so maybe they just pulled the trigger. The whole thing is ridiculous anyway given how much they wanted Griffin to begin with. They come across as so bitter.

Well, yeah that doesn't make much sense either but by all accounts Weeden is a much better pro prospect than McCoy ever was so maybe they just pulled the trigger. The whole thing is ridiculous anyway given how much they wanted Griffin to begin with. They come across as so bitter.

They pulled the trigger on Weeden because they were going to draft Kendall Wright, but he got drafted before they could take him, so they had to draft Weeden to...I don't know, "protect" themselves.

I don't think he has that strong of an arm either, but he could be a very capable QB for a while for them even without that. Last year, he was on pace for 3K yards and would have easily had 60% comp. if his WRs didn't drop the rock so much. Put him with a decent squad; it doesn't even have to be great, and I think he could be a very servicable QB. Imagine Rexy if he didn't throw INTs so much and was more mobile.

It's sad, but we'll probably never find out what McCoy can actually do. He's probably jealous of Blaine Gabbert, who got Blackmon and Robinson as presents this offseason, while all he got was competition.

Jesus I'm starting to hate the Browns, and we're not even in the same conference as them. I started hating them a lot because my boy is a Cleveland fanatic and I have to hear his crap all day about how the Browns are just about as good as us, and now this article I have to hear from him... All I tell him is "Browns Superbowl's won = 0, Redskins Superbowl's won = 3, so shut your face"

I don't think he has that strong of an arm either, but he could be a very capable QB for a while for them even without that. Last year, he was on pace for 3K yards and would have easily had 60% comp. if his WRs didn't drop the rock so much. Put him with a decent squad; it doesn't even have to be great, and I think he could be a very servicable QB. Imagine Rexy if he didn't throw INTs so much and was more mobile.

It's sad, but we'll probably never find out what McCoy can actually do. He's probably jealous of Blaine Gabbert, who got Blackmon and Robinson as presents this offseason, while all he got was competition.

Seriously, that kid has been short changed big time. He had his first real season with "the keys" shortened by the lockout, and they only drafted one wide receiver, who was largely thought to be one of the most raw guys there. His number one running back got an inflated ego and was hurt, his guys drop balls, his team makes him play with a ****ing concussion (which was one of the most underplayed and horrible things a team has done on the field in a long time, especially with all this concussion awareness stuff), and he gets saddled with all the blame...and then, they draft a guy older than him to be the starter in a faux competition, and despite not really believing in him, they refuse to trade him to teams that at the very least need a good back-up.

You can talk about him "not having a big arm" and stuff, but he's accurate and mobile, and he's got more than enough arm to make the kind of throws that someone like Matt Schaub can make. But he's got no team around him and an organizational cluster**** on his hands.

Jesus I'm starting to hate the Browns, and we're not even in the same conference as them. I started hating them a lot because my boy is a Cleveland fanatic and I have to hear his crap all day about how the Browns are just about as good as us, and now this article I have to hear from him... All I tell him is "Browns Superbowl's won = 0, Redskins Superbowl's won = 3, so shut your face"

Your sig, it confuses me.

Archived