Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Underrated Narrative Hip Hop Songs?

Thinking Skins

I was wondering what some of you thought were some good songs that just don't get the credit they deserve. We all remember songs like "Children's Story" by Slick Rick, or "It was a good day" by Ice Cube, but what about the ones that go unnoticed?

The song "Murda Was the Case" by Snoop stands out to me. Its not something that's going to go down as an all time classic or even one that you'd likely find on a Snoop Dogg Greatest Hits album, but its still one that I really enjoy.

I heard "Rewind" by Nas mentioned a lot yesterday and I think that may also go into this realm.

What say ye?

Narrative hip-hop songs are probably my favorite.

I love them much more than the anthem type songs. You tell me a story and you've got my attention for the next 4 mins or so, not just during the chorus.

---------- Post added June-1st-2012 at 11:41 AM ----------

Heck yeah that was a good song. He rapped backwards. :wtf:

Yes. Yes he did!

Uncommon Valor - Jedi Mind Tricks feat RA the Rugged Man (this is actually based on the story of RA father, John Thorburn, and his experience in Vietnam)

Not so much the first verse (Vinny Paz of JMT) but the second verse by RA is just unbelivable

This is just RA's verse...

Uncommon Valor - Jedi Mind Tricks feat RA the Rugged Man (this is actually based on the story of RA father, John Thorburn, and his experience in Vietnam)

Not so much the first verse (Vinny Paz of JMT) but the second verse by RA is just unbelivable

This is just RA's verse...

Wow that was a good song. Didn't realize Jedi Mind Tricks was still bringing it. Their first album is very solid.

A lot come to mind...as someone who has always been heavy into rap I could probably throw a few out there. But for the sake of this thread.....one that stands out to me is "Pain" by 2pac. That final verse on that track is probably Pac's best verse. Content is always overlooked....beats, flow, voice-sound in general...but content to me is so big.

Good thread!

Wow that was a good song. Didn't realize Jedi Mind Tricks was still bringing it. Their first album is very solid.

Not sure if JMT are still bringing it but this song was from their Servants in Heaven, Kings in Hell album from 2006.

Trying to think of some that haven't been mentioned and might have slipped below radar for some.

Royce da 5'9 - Part of Me

Tech N9ne - In the Trunk

Part of Me to me is great.. Goes in a way different direction than I thought at the beginning.

Notorious BIG - I Got A Story To Tell (I heard that was a true story, the part where he says 'one of them 7 foot <bleeps> is classic')

Notorious BIG - Ninjas Bleed

Big L - The Heist (not one of his best songs, but a rarely mentioned story song)

Jay-Z - Meet The Parents

Scarface - I Ain't Never Seen a Man Cry (Till I Seen A Man Die)

You Got Me - The Roots, feat Eryka Badu (sp)

It's Your World - Common

Git Up Git Out - OutKast, feat. Cee Lo/Goodie Mob

Rap Superstar - Cypress Hill

Straight Up Menace - MC Eiht (Off the Menace ll Society soundtrack)

Slippin' - DMX

Why - Jadakiss

Sometimes - NORE

Toy Soldiers - Eminem

Hip Hop Saved My Life - Lupe Fiasco

*Edit, I forgot 2 more:

Lost - Gorilla Zoe

My Life - Game

These are some of the songs that immediately came to mind, and save for a few, aren't really talked about that much anymore.

---------- Post added June-4th-2012 at 06:31 AM ----------

Seen A Man Die is one of the deepest songs I've ever heard. Definitely a classic

Organized Konfusion's Stray Bullet>>>Rewind, And Imma huge Nas fan.

A better story telling track from Nas is One Love, Undying Love, Fetus, and I Gave You Power

Slick Rick's Children's Story is a classic, then you have An Indian Story which is excellent.

A Tribe Called Quest's El Segundo

Jay-Z's Ballad for a Fallen Soldier was always dope to me.

OutKast Git Up Git Out is another one

Snoop's Murder Was the Case

Mobb Deep's Drink Away the Pain

these are just off the top of my head tho

+1 for Mobb Deeps' Drink away the pain. someone else posted a thread earlier about the lyrical genius of the GZA's "famous". after reading the lyrics i instantly thought of the mobb deep track. I really like BIG's "warnings", probably my favorite narrative song ever. "who the F* is this ..." . honerable mention to Prince Pauls compilation hip hop narrative album "prince among thieves".

---------- Post added June-4th-2012 at 01:53 PM ----------

forgot Nas' "I gave you power." brilliant use of personification.

Archived