Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Underrated Narrative Hip Hop Songs?

Thinking Skins

U.N.I.T.Y. - Queen Latifah

*Edit, you know what, that probably doesn't belong in the underrated category, though I don't think it's talked about that much these days.

this was a smash it back in '93... trust me it wasn't underrated by any means.

---------- Post added June-4th-2012 at 07:09 PM ----------

There is nothing more annoying than people (who have seem to have never listened extensively to a particular genre) who make blanket statements like that. It's even more laughable when they make the distinction between rap and hip hop.

Hip hop is rooted in poetry, and a lot of it is about life/peace/harmony,etc. To say that every hip hop song is overrated is pretty much like stamping "Idiot" on your forehead.

forgot Nas' "I gave you power." brilliant use of personification.

If you're gonna mention Nas I Gave you power, then you've got to mention Pac's Me and My Girlfriend. Yeah, he stole the bit from Nas, but executed it beautifully. Half the people listening didn't even know Pac was talking about a Gun, Given, a quarter of the people listening to Nas's song didn't know either even though Nas tells you in the intro.

If you're gonna mention Nas I Gave you power, then you've got to mention Pac's Me and My Girlfriend. Yeah, he stole the bit from Nas, but executed it beautifully. Half the people listening didn't even know Pac was talking about a Gun, Given, a quarter of the people listening to Nas's song didn't know either even though Nas tells you in the intro.

Last Words by Nas....

also, I Used to Love Her by Common

---------- Post added June-4th-2012 at 08:17 PM ----------

Damn, did anybody say I Used To Love H.E.R. - Common?

beaten to the punch....good pull.

get that it's not overrated though....

Organized Konfusion - Stray Bullet was before both

Archived