Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Tennessee mosque's fate again up in the air

No Excuses

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/30/us/tennessee-mosque-controversy/index.html

The long-running battle between a Tennessee Muslim community and its critics over a new mosque took a dramatic turn with a county judge's ruling that could bring construction to a halt. "Everyone is really shocked, many people are crying about this," Imam Osama Bahloul, leader of the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro, said early Wednesday.

"We did exactly what other churches in the county did," he said. "We followed the same process that other churches did. Why did this happen? Some people feel like it is discrimination."

The judge, Chancellor Robert Corlew, ruled Tuesday that plans for the new mosque that had previously been approved by a local planning commission were now "void and of no effect."

He said the planning commission violated state law by not providing proper public notice. The ruling throws the date of the mosque's completion, scheduled for July, up in the air.

Rutherford County Attorney Jim Cope said Corlew did not address the issue of whether work on the mosque has to stop right away. He said county planners will discuss options and determine an appropriate course of action.

"I don't have answers at this point," Cope said.

During the trial, attorneys for the mosque's opposition argued that the county failed to alert the public about meetings before the mosque was approved, CNN affiliate WTVF reported.

"We're very pleased," said attorney Joe Brandon, who has led the legal effort to stop the expansion.

The ruling was a victory for all the county's residents, he told WTVF.

Click link for more

It'll get built eventually. The excuse is pretty amusing though:

The judge, however, said the announcements in a local paper were "in relatively small type near the bottom of a page which contained a number of advertisements and legal notices, most of which were provided by the city of Murfreesboro."

I guess they should have blasted it through a megaphone.

Sounds like he's not saying "y'all can't build a mosque, here". He's saying "the law says you have to allow the folks to vent, first".

So? Let 'em vent.

Pretty much. This sort of thing can happen with any project. I hope the people building the mosque can be made to understand this.

(I'm assuming that the judge's ruling is correct, but I have no way of knowing that).

(I'm assuming that the judge's ruling is correct, but I have no way of knowing that).

The reasoning he gave sounded like a major stretch. At that point I think it comes down to the judge's interpretation of the law, since obviously the law doesn't say "All announcements are to use size 12 font or above; and NO COMIC SANS" or whatever. So that's when the judge's personal feelings about it are bound to have an influence; if he really wants to find a way to rule for or against one side and still make it sound somewhat plausible he probably can.

The reasoning he gave sounded like a major stretch. At that point I think it comes down to the judge's interpretation of the law, since obviously the law doesn't say "All announcements are to use size 12 font or above; and NO COMIC SANS" or whatever. So that's when the judge's personal feelings about it are bound to have an influence; if he really wants to find a way to rule for or against one side and still make it sound somewhat plausible he probably can.

True up to a point, but there are usually prior decisions setting out general guidelines for the judge to apply, if only by analogy. Contrary to popular belief, judges rarely just wing it.

True up to a point, but there are usually prior decisions setting out general guidelines for the judge to apply, if only by analogy. Contrary to popular belief, judges rarely just wing it.

It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard.

It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard.
Well, if it was a hearing on the regulation of toilet training of wild cats by convicted burglars with knowledge of lock-picking, I think that could constitute adequate notice of the interested persons.

Well, if it was a hearing on the regulation of toilet training of wild cats by convicted burglars with knowledge of lock-picking, I think that could constitute adequate notice of the interested persons.

There’s no point in acting all surprised about it. All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display at your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for fifty of your Earth years so you’ve had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaints and its far too late to start making a fuss about it now.

Pretty clear that there's discrimination and efforts to keep the new construction from going forward, including through vandalism.

Not sure if that's directly related to the judge's decision, although he does seem to be helping them out here.

I guess the First Amendment doesn't apply to Muslims, only the various cults of Christianity and on a good day, Judaism.

Carefully-constructed call outs, complying with forum rules. Well done as usual.

There's certainly some bias against Muslims in this country, and I suspect it's even more prevalent in states where bias and bigotry already have a deeper foothold than in some others. It's a shame. It really is. But I'm sure in some areas there are still those under-educated people whose knowledge of Islam consists of "they're the ones that fly planes into buildings to kill infidels."

Well, I mention the "various cults of Christianity" because I remember the brouhaha when the Mormon temple was built in Silver Spring. The best commentary I saw was when someone wrote "Surrender Dorothy" on one of the bridges coming around the beltway from GA Ave. that due to placement was optically right below said Mormon temple.

Well, I mention the "various cults of Christianity" because I remember the brouhaha when the Mormon temple was built in Silver Spring. The best commentary I saw was when someone wrote "Surrender Dorothy" on one of the bridges coming around the beltway from GA Ave. that due to placement was optically right below said Mormon temple.

Actually, that was simply humor - and very well done humor I might add.

(I got to take a tour of the inside of that place before they consecrated it... it was stunning)

I get references!!!

I got this one.

There’s no point in acting all surprised about it. All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display at your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for fifty of your Earth years so you’ve had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaints and its far too late to start making a fuss about it now.

But not this one.

...I'm not actually sure I ever finished reading Hitchhiker's back in the day. Maybe I should see the movie.

Archived