Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

yardbarker.com: The 100 Most Average NFL Players Of All Time

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/backyard/ksks_list_of_the_most_average_players_ever/10850345?refmod=backyard&refsrc=foxsports

You'll recognize a few names, my Skins brethren lol...

100. Mike Rumph

99. Todd Pinkston

98. Marvcus Patton

97. Damione Lewis

96. Chris Dishman

92. Leslie Shepherd

91. Josh Miller

90. Darnay Scott

89. Dre’ Bly

88. Alvin Harper

87. Kailee Wong

86. Al Del Greco

83. Marty Booker

82. Cadillac Williams

81. Ethan Albright

80. Chris Chandler

79. Jerricho Cotchery

78. Amp Lee

75. Deon Grant

74. Tony Banks

73. Jeff Reed

72. Justin Hartwig

71. Phillippi Sparks

70. Todd Collins

47. Otis Smith

46. Nick Barnett

45. Jason Campbell

44. Jason Sehorn

43. Ed West

42. Terry Kirby

39. Gus Frerotte

38. Kevin Curtis

37. Jabar Gaffney

36. Shawn Jefferson

35. Knowshon Moreno

7. J.J. Stokes

6. Adam Archuleta

5. Kyle Brady

4. Ricky Proehl

3. Vencie Glenn

2. Steve Walsh

(drumroll.....)

1. James Thrash

There you have it. According to our complex metric of bull**** and gut feeling, James Thrash is the most average player in the history of the NFL. Henceforth, the threshold separating the ****ty from the pretty good will be referred to as the Thrash Line Thrashhold.

James Thrash was a great effort guy who gave ya what he could. Yeah, speed, strength, and probably even statwise he was pretty average, but he maximized his averageness and I liked him as a player... kinda in the same way I like Reed Doughty or Rock Cartwright.

Thrash made up for a lot of shortcomings by working very hard. He may be Mr Mediocre, but he's OK in my book.

You could do worse than havinga Thrash or two on the team.

I recall against the Lions in the game Braindx is talking about he also downed a punt at the one, and another one at the three, and as i recall, recovered a fumble on another.

It was one of the few times that one guy whipped a team almost single handedly on special teams. Thrash destroyed the Lions field position all day long.

I believe the return mentioned above also went for a few dozen yards.

Maybe Danny Smith keeps showing that tape when contracts come up...

~Bang

James Thrash the most average? Really. This is why these list make no sense. Jason Campbell is Mr. Average at QB, just enough to say wow what potential and just enough Oh nOes to say forget it.

Wouldn't a player who was MORE "average" have fewer "on" and "off" moments, though?...Wouldn't a more average player also be more consistently average? lol...

Wouldn't a player who was MORE "average" have fewer "on" and "off" moments, though?...Wouldn't a more average player also be more consistently average? lol...

Your point is average so yeah I would have to rescind and agree, being that I don't argue or disagree with an above average poster. All in all this averages out considering all the below average posters I disagree with.

Those who can't, teach?

Posted at 09:46 AM ET, 05/23/2012

James Thrash, Troy Vincent, help develop the next generation of coaches

By Mike Jones

During their NFL careers, defensive back Troy Vincent and receiver James Thrash were valued by coaches and teammates for their play-making abilities and their roles as strong team leaders.

“The biggest thing we’re providing is the education on what it takes to be a coach, what these universities look for, what mistakes you can avoid, what the proper steps are,” said Thrash, who has worked for the NFL Player Engagement program for about two months. “And in addition to giving them that information, this gives them opportunities to network with people in the high school, Division I, II and III and professional coaching ranks.”

This list is just stupid. There's no way of proving or measuring any of this. I like how they begin the list with a paragraph basically telling everyone the list is pure opinion and basically BS. I'm really surprised to see AJ Hawk at #17.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, there are a good amount of average players on this list but to rank them is very difficult. Especially when a decent amount of these guys are still playing in the league.

A few names I thought should be on there, All the cowboys RB's after Emmit Smith, none are better than average and many doesn't even meet up to average. A name I feel shouldn't be on there is Chris Dishman from the Houston Oilers. He could cover any receiver in the league.

James Thrash was a great effort guy who gave ya what he could. Yeah, speed, strength, and probably even statwise he was pretty average, but he maximized his averageness and I liked him as a player... kinda in the same way I like Reed Doughty or Rock Cartwright.

Maybe so by the end of his career but Thrash made it to the NFL because of his speed. He was an electric return guy as a rookie.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/sports/display.htm?StoryID=60978

I don't believe he ran a 4.2, but the point is all the same. Thrash was fast.

The only time I remembered any play of James Thrash was when Sean Taylor threw the devasting block in the Lions game.... James Thrash was the returner... lol

The first thing that comes to my mind about James Thrash is, in 2007 he was the first Redskins WR to catch a TD in a regular season game that season. He caught 2 TD's that game in fact. Oh. and that came in week 10. 10 weeks for a WR to get a TD reception, LOL, pathetic.

Yea, I'm kinda on the Chris Dishman better than the list; in a way he was a miniature Taylor; if the opportunity was there, he would try to knock you into next week, not just tackle you.

I AM curious though as to how many of these players are flat-out broke or filed for bankruptcy; I know there are some, just not sure who...

I agree Dishman was a fantastic player for many years with the Oilers and was made the pro bowl his first year with the skins...but I've never seen a player decline in one offseason like he did. It was like he lost all of his speed and couldn't cover anybody.

The thing about being average is, if you're a guy like James Thrash, and you bust your ass, and you play teams, and in a pinch you can start on offense and be somewhat productive, you'll always have a job. Jump on Campbell's back all you want; the dude is probably always going to be able to find a job somewhere because, even if he's average, he can still be just productive enough that he can win you some games. Same thing with Todd Collins; he had a career that lasted forever in NFL years. Jabar Gaffney is always going to be able to find a job somewhere. Same with Frerotte, or Brandon Stokley (who suprisingly ins't on this list) or Vonnie Holliday.

You can have a looooooonnnnggg NFL career just being "average". Which is why this list, for the most part, is bull****; there's a lot of guys on this list who played 10-15 years in NFL. That's a pretty damn good career when you consider the average NFL career last about 4 years. Tops.

Archived