Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is anyone else kinda deathly afraid of our backup QB situation?

SkinsGuru

I like most others here like Rex as the backup because of his knowledge of the offense and his cap hit. I would not count on John Beck being here on June 1st. He'll get cut. Wouldn't put it past us to sign a 5th QB, so that when Beck is cut, Crompton will be #3 and the other QB will be #4.

Rex looks like a great vet back up. Former starter, Knows the system, Coaches like him, his teammates like him, good attitude. The only caveat is you ordinarily want a back up to be a game manager rather than **** it I'm going deep. But rex is leagues above beck and anybody we could reasonably bring in.

That's huge though. That's the difference between people in any profession. Anyone of us could make one play, but the difference between crappy, decent, good, great is consistency. Rex is miserably inconsistent. I'd just rather someone that won't "wow" me on any one play, but will be consistent with protecting the football and playing smart. A big arm and knowledge of the system are useless if you're a turnover machine.

Most backup QBs have issues.....that's why they are backups. Rex is inconsistent, but he can also be explosive at times. Some team's backups can't move the chains at all. Rex is a veteran. He's played in a big game like the Super Bowl. He knows the system. He has significant experience QBing our team.

If Rex is the backup, I think he's a good choice in that role. He may want to start but I think he can be a good teammate and be ready if for whatever horrible reason he would need to play. You want someone who knows what they're doing, who can move the ball (Rex has proven this despite turnovers), and can be ready to play with little practice necessary. He won't cut down his turnover rate, but that's why he's a backup.

The bad scenario is if Beck somehow ends up being the backup. Then you've got a guy who's still gunning for the starting job and thinks he should be starting who clearly couldn't get the job done last year and played scared. It's not like he'll get more practice/training camp time this year since everyone will be focused on getting RG3 up to speed. I'll be disappointed if Beck's still taking up a roster spot.

It seems like most people get it. Rex will probably be one of the best backup QB's in the league.

Just guessing here on NFC backup QBs:

Stephen McGee (Dallas)

Ryan Perrilloux (New York)

Vince Young (Philadelphia)

Rex Grossman (Washington)

John Skelton (Arizona)

Josh Johnson (San Francisco)

Josh Portis (Seattle)

Kellen Clemens (St Louis)

Josh McCown (Chicago)

Shaun Hill (Detroit)

Graham Harrell (Green Bay)

Joe Webb (Minnesota)

Chris Redman (Atlanta)

Jimmy Clausen (Carolina)

Chase Daniel (New Orleans)

Dan Orlovsky (Tampa Bay)

Outside of maybe Vince Young (and that's debatable), I'd say we probably have the best backup in the NFC. At the very least, the most experienced as a starter. Heck, a few of those players I'd never even heard of.

It seems like most people get it. Rex will probably be one of the best backup QB's in the league.

Stephen McGee (Dallas)

Cowboys have Kyle Orton as a backup. They are in good shape in regards to their QB depth.

I think Grossman's time here has given me Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Fingers crossed that RG3 stays healthy, but what if Wrecks (trust me, that's not a typo) has to step in at some point? ...I seriously have no idea how/why he's on an NFL roster. My theory is that he has nude pics of Kyle somewhere.

Somebody make me feel better and tell me he'll get cut in preseason, cause if he ends up having to play I'm gonna cry and then punch my dog.

Uh, Kyle nude pic? Geez, what is said cannot be unsaid, LoL.

Here's a shoulder to cry on, please spare the dog. Rex will be a good backup. Hail. :point2sky

At least no more than usual and maybe less. One, we have not had as good a back up situation for years or to put it another way, our current backup situation is no worse than it has been since 1991. Two, at this time, it is no worse than all but a handful of teams in the NFL. Three, in this situation the primary role for the backup is to facilitate the development of the number 1 by keeping distractions to a minimum. Four, Grossman's issue is lack of talent, not work ethic or knowledge of the system and a willingness to do his best with it.

Stephen McGee (Dallas) Kyle Orton

Ryan Perrilloux (New York) David Carr

Vince Young (Philadelphia)Mike Kaffka

Rex Grossman (Washington)

John Skelton (Arizona)

Josh Johnson (San Francisco)

Josh Portis (Seattle) Tavaris Jackson

Kellen Clemens (St Louis)

Josh McCown (Chicago)

Shaun Hill (Detroit)

Graham Harrell (Green Bay)

Joe Webb (Minnesota)

Chris Redman (Atlanta)

Jimmy Clausen (Carolina)Derrick Anderson

Chase Daniel (New Orleans)

Dan Orlovsky (Tampa Bay)

Outside of maybe Vince Young (and that's debatable), I'd say we probably have the best backup in the NFC. At the very least, the most experienced as a starter. Heck, a few of those players I'd never even heard of.

Made a couple of changes

I think you will find yourself in a very strong minority. I'm very happy we brought Rex back. I was terrified of the thought of having John Beck as our backup. Grossman will continue to push himself with his confident demeanor, considering himself starter material. He may be turnover prone, but he can also come in a game and light it up. Your backup QB is exactly that, he's not starter material but he needs to be able to give you a chance to win. Grossman does that, and that's actually a lot better than what you can say for a lot of teams around the league (i.e. the Colts and Bears last year).

Made a couple of changes

I was thinking the same thing looking at that list but even so we have a very favorable backup situation. I see Rex Grossman as the Todd Collins of this system. He is physically limited but he knows the system and can move the offense if the starter goes down.

Collins was much better at protecting the football but they're both guys that can step in without starter reps and keep the offense going if the rest of the team is doing their jobs. That is what I want in a backup.

I was thinking the same thing looking at that list but even so we have a very favorable backup situation. I see Rex Grossman as the Todd Collins of this system. He is physically limited but he knows the system and can move the offense if the starter goes down.

Collins was much better at protecting the football but they're both guys that can step in without starter reps and keep the offense going if the rest of the team is doing their jobs. That is what I want in a backup.

This.

Rex is a great locker room guys, coaches like him (except for the turnovvers thing), players like him. He knows the system, knows the terminology, won't suck up extra reps in OTAs and training camp from RG3, and can start for us in a pinch. I'd rather have Rex start for us than having pretty much any quarterback in the NFL.

I feel good rolling with Rex. He just needs to learn to throw the ball away when he doesn't have it like he did in 2010. He was pressing to make plays in 2011 instead of living to play another down, and ultimately that's always going to be Rex's problem. But yeah, I like Rex.

I think Grossman is servicable as a backup. Would he get us to the playoffs? No. We already know that. But you cant expect to have a Probowl QB sitting on your bench in a back up role either. So, you end up with a guy that is "servicable".

Archived