Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is anyone else kinda deathly afraid of our backup QB situation?

SkinsGuru

I think Grossman's time here has given me Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Fingers crossed that RG3 stays healthy, but what if Wrecks (trust me, that's not a typo) has to step in at some point? I mean, is he really our backup plan? I can live with him being 3rd on the depth chart, kinda, but if that timid turnover machine ends up being Griffin's insurance policy, I can see myself getting heart palpitations every time RG3 gets hit. I seriously have no idea how/why he's on an NFL roster. My theory is that he has nude pics of Kyle somewhere. I'm aware that solid, veteran QBs don't grow on trees, but Jesus... must we choose someone that nobody else wants?

Somebody make me feel better and tell me he'll get cut in preseason, cause if he ends up having to play I'm gonna cry and then punch my dog.

:munchout:

Rex has been in the system for a few years now. He'll be the backup, regardless and he's cheap. I see no issues with having Grossman as our backup. Who would you rather have that could come right in with our playbook and execute this offense?

It's also worth noting that we now have a bunch of YAC guys. If Grossman is asked to play, he'll be in a better position WR wise, and will pretty much be asked to do what Alex Smith was last year: play conservative, and don't mess up. For us, that means lots of dump passes and running after the catch.

What team has a great backup QB? And of those, how many would sit that great backup QB, to try out a rookie right away.

Rex is pretty much the perfect backup for this team, a QB that knows the system-has started a lot of games in the NFL, and maybe able to help RG3 with the verbiage.

I have tons of concerns about this team. But backup QB? Not even on the radar.

Instead of whining about Rex, who is an excellent choice to be the backup, I would probably be more upset that John Beck is still on this team.

A man who is not an NFL quality player is scheduled to cost us 1.3 million against the cap this season. Rex has a cap number of 605K.

So John Beck literally costs us twice (and thensome) as much as Rex.

You want to rage? Rage about that.

Guess I'm the only one then. Rex has an arm and will occasionally (very occasionally) make a great play. But it's just not worth all the bonehead mistakes and turnovers to me. I'd rather a backup with less upside that's more reliable and less prone to turnovers. Someone you'll know what to expect from (even if it ain't much) instead of someone that has you putting 911 on speed dial. A Billy Volek for instance.

I still cannot bring myself to understand why some people cannot see Rex's value as a backup QB. Because of cap reasons, a lot of teams don't have very good backup QB's, unless they draft and groom one, and even then they won't keep them for long, because of FA. Rex has played well in some games as a starter, but he just isn't consistent. He is a very good option as a backup QB, by definition, a guy that can step in, know the offense, and play well enough to keep you in games.

Most teams would go in the tank, or take a very big step back, if their starting QB's went down, and any team that doesn't, is an exception to the rule.

Short of mop-up duty, if Rex is in the game, we'll have bigger problems than Rex being in the game (once RGIII is named the starter).

If, for some reason, RGIII were to miss any significant amount of time, we'd have more than 2012 to be worried about. If that were to happen, yes, we'd be stuck with Rex and that would suck. But, long-term, we'd have bigger issues to lose hair over.

RGIII is the future. Anything that puts his performance in jeopardy could set us back another few years, at the least. Rex, or any other journeyman QB, being in the game at that point really wouldn't matter.

but he just isn't consistent.

That's huge though. That's the difference between people in any profession. Anyone of us could make one play, but the difference between crappy, decent, good, great is consistency. Rex is miserably inconsistent. I'd just rather someone that won't "wow" me on any one play, but will be consistent with protecting the football and playing smart. A big arm and knowledge of the system are useless if you're a turnover machine.

That's huge though. That's the difference between people in any profession. Anyone of us could make one play, but the difference between crappy, decent, good, great is consistency. Rex is miserably inconsistent. I'd just rather someone that won't "wow" me on any one play, but will be consistent with protecting the football and playing smart. A big arm and knowledge of the system is useless if you're a turnover machine.

In many ways, that (consistency) is the difference between a starter, and a backup...

Archived