Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is anyone else kinda deathly afraid of our backup QB situation?

SkinsGuru

Except it's not only Redskins fans. Check out this nonsense from Michael Silver on the front page of Yahoo Sports:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--post-nfl-draft-rankings.html

The media is already trying to stir up drama.

I don't feel like they were trying to stir up drama in that article. He was just stating the obvious, but the author made clear that RG3 has no reason to worry and that Cousins is more likely to end up like Matt Flynn.

Rex is better then most backup QB's. If he played consistently even 75% of the time, he'd be a top 20 QB.

That's the point he doesn't/can't even come close to playing effeciently/consistent football. Right now he isn't a qaulified backup for us, I'm real happy with the cousins pick cuz that gets us two qb's on our roster who I think can actually help us win, even though they are rookies who never played an nfl down yet.

RGIII knows he doesn't have to worry, Shanny told him at the combine that they would do everything it took to move up to #2 and draft him, and we gave up two future 1st round picks and this years second to move up and get the kid. There is no way in hell they give up that many draft picks and Cousins ends up starting in any game, unless there is injury to RG3 and he had beat out Sexy Rexy for the back-up position. My guess is Cousins is in competition with Rex for the back-up QB position and as bad as Rex can be at times, Cousins is still a rookie with a lot to learn and I see our QB rotation being as follows: RGIII, Sexy Rexy, Cousins.

We need to get younger at the back-up position too and you can't let a late 2nd or 3rd round grade QB fall that far and not take him. This, if (and I mean if) it works out, we have a chance to develop a QB and trade him 2-3 years down the road for future draft picks. Just look at Favre, Schwab, Flynn, Cassel, etc.....and Shanny can definitely train up QBs.

People quickly forget how depleted the offense was the last month of the season. Both tackles were OUT against the Patriots. Skins had no receiver or TE who could run after the catch AND shed jams at the line of scrimmage. There were college teams with more talent at the receiver position. Why do you think they upgraded it so much in the offseason? Then when you factor in that no veteran RB was playing for the last month or so ...

People quickly forget how depleted the offense was the last month of the season. Both tackles were OUT against the Patriots. Skins had no receiver or TE who could run after the catch AND shed jams at the line of scrimmage. There were college teams with more talent at the receiver position. Why do you think they upgraded it so much in the offseason? Then when you factor in that no veteran RB was playing for the last month or so ...

And yet we hung in there with a team that played in the Super Bowl against the team we beat twice.

Exactly. With their limited draft choices, they need to be focused on bringing in players to support RG3, not on finding someone to back him up in the 2013 season and beyond...

Exactly. With their limited draft choices, they need to be focused on bringing in players to support RG3, not on finding someone to back him up in the 2013 season and beyond...

Limited draft choices?

We had 9 picks this year.

We had 12 the year before.

There's only 53 spots on a roster.

As I've posted before, Rex has outplayed Eli in 5 career meetings by a large margin. Eli has always had much more support on offense. The difference between a jouneyman QB/good backup and a so-called elite QB is often mot much. The Giants and Colts were extremely patient with the Mannings early in their careers. While Rex has played in 4 systems in 47 starts - kinda like Alex Smith. It didn't help Rex that he's had at least two serious leg injuries in his career too.

I think we have all seen enough of Rex to understand what he is, and it's not going to change. He is a turnover machine, to put it bluntly. Has he had great games and moments? Sure, no doubt. But you can't just selectively pick his bright spots and ignore his faults.

It's not all on him, but the offense has been far below mediocre the past several years, you can't deny that. He's one of the big reasons why.

I don't think there is one person out there that beleives we didnt need to upgrade the back-up QB position. However the bigger point here is the fact that the Redskins finally get to draft their franchise QB and before he even steps off the draft stage theres another QB controversy brewing and it was created by his own head coach... It's just not the way you express to your franchise QB that he's the guy!! If the Shanahans drafted Andrew Luck do you beleive they would've drafted Kirk Cousins too??? I think we all know the answer to that question.

I don't think there is one person out there that beleives we didnt need to upgrade the back-up QB position. However the bigger point here is the fact that the Redskins finally get to draft their franchise QB and before he even steps off the draft stage theres another QB controversy brewing and it was created by his own head coach... It's just not the way you express to your franchise QB that he's the guy!! If the Shanahans drafted Andrew Luck do you beleive they would've drafted Kirk Cousins too??? I think we all know the answer to that question.

It took RGIII four rounds to get off stage? So much for that speed...

Anyone who believes a fourth rounder creates a QB controversy with a second overall pick we traded 3 firsts and a second to get is delusional. The only way there'll be a controversy if if RGIII completely falls on his face and we'll have bigger issues if that happens than a QB controversy.

And yes if we drafted Andrew Luck second and Cousins was the best player on the board when they picked in the fourth, yep they'd probably take him again. BPA is BPA.

There is no QB controversy, RGII is the starter. Really? People please. You all listen to sports guys on the radio who hate the Skins and listen to guys at ESPN who don't follow the Redskins at all and think their opinions mean anything. Really? The guys at ESPN and NFL Network still have the template up that every move made here is by Dan and that we sign big name old free agents to big contract and that we are an old team. They haven't even looked at us the last couple years to see what is going on. Ignore them and watch the Skins yourself. I think I know more about what is going on with the Skins than Kiper, Cowherd or any of those guys. And I don't even live in the area anymore.

The racial connotations in these posts are getting dumber and dumber

Yes, if Luck was the pick, Cousins would have been picked in round 4. Its obvious why Cousins was brought in.

It took RGIII four rounds to get off stage? So much for that speed...

Anyone who believes a fourth rounder creates a QB controversy with a second overall pick we traded 3 firsts and a second to get is delusional. The only way there'll be a controversy if if RGIII completely falls on his face and we'll have bigger issues if that happens than a QB controversy.

And yes if we drafted Andrew Luck second and Cousins was the best player on the board when they picked in the fourth, yep they'd probably take him again. BPA is BPA.

If there is no potential for a controversy, then why are we talking about it now..

---------- Post added April-29th-2012 at 09:35 PM ----------

The racial connotations in these posts are getting dumber and dumber

Yes, if Luck was the pick, Cousins would have been picked in round 4. Its obvious why Cousins was brought in.

Not sure why race was introduced into your post, but it CLEARLY wasn't apart of mine. So I agree its extremely dumb to use race as an inference.

The point is that the Shanahans drafted a back-up QB 4th round in the draft as a insurance policy to RG3 who they clearly have some reservation over. Its hard to beleive that they would've waisted a 4th rounder on a back-up QB to Luck who was widley viewed as the best QB prospect since John Elway. I didnt see Indy draft a back-up QB and their situation is much worse than ours! The Shanahans are the first team to draft two QBs within the first four rounds of the draft since the 1980's... 30yrs!!!!

Limited choices? We addressed pretty much every need we had.

QB, OL, LB, RB, and CB were addressed. What else did you want us to add?

It blows my mind people think this pick will create a controversy. The Colts picked another QB as well so therefore the Colts have a controversy, right? We've lacked a QB and QB depth forever. I just can't understand why people are against quality depth? I'll blame Vinny Cerrato.

It blows my mind people think this pick will create a controversy. The Colts picked another QB as well so therefore the Colts have a controversy, right? We've lacked a QB and QB depth forever. I just can't understand why people are against quality depth? I'll blame Vinny Cerrato.

The Pats picked Mallet last year, didn't hear anything about a controversy. The Eagles picked Nick Foles in the 2nd, no controversy there. The Broncos just signed Manning and then drafted Osweiler in the 2nd, but no controversy there either. We draft RG3 and basically give him the team, but also draft a QB in the 4th. Oh there will be a controversy. Give me a break.

Archived