Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is anyone else kinda deathly afraid of our backup QB situation?

SkinsGuru

As others have said, Rex is an excellent backup that knows the system well. I'd like to see Beck gone and either a late pick or an undrafted guy as the #3, either on the roster or the practice squad.

But they like to have at least 4 QB's in camp, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Beck kept around until the final cuts....unless we really need the cap room.

Not me, based on what's out there I think Rex is probably the best person available to be our #2. You have RGIII learning the system, you shouldn't have to spend time teaching your backup as well. Now if we lost Rex and it was RG3 and John Beck, then I'd be concerned.

So long as Interceptus Rexus doesn't see the field, our 'backup QB situation' is fine.

It's when he does that we have problems. BIG problems.

I love this line that 'he knows the system, he's better than most backup's.' Knowing the system doesn't amount to a hill of beans when you can't execute it with some boneheaded turnover 9 times out of 10.

Hopefully we pick up a vet that get's cut post June 1st.

---------- Post added April-19th-2012 at 12:14 PM ----------

so what happens if rex starts week 1?

The New Orleans Saints will be a very happy football team.

A VERY happy football team indeed.

Hail.

I'm glad so many of you are comfortable with Rex, makes me feel a bit better about it. But too much of the justification I see reads something like "he just needs to protect the ball" or "he just needs to learn how to throw the ball away," etc. Do you really think his game is going to change at this point in his career? It's not.

Those comparing him to Todd Collins also mentioned why they're so different. Todd couldn't sling it but he protected the football. Maybe I'm old school (despite being under 30), but to me that is by far and away the attribute you want most out of a quarterback, particularly one in a backup role. Rex shoots himself in the foot as much as any quarterback in the league, including backups.

Oh well, better to worry about him as our backup than as our starter.

After reading through this thread, it is obvious to me that the OP is simply a Rex hater and/or doesn't understand the role of a backup QB. Rex is one of the best backups in the league. Not many teams in the history of the NFL can or could ever say that their backup QB was not only a previous starter in the league, but started a Super Bowl, and still isn't asking for an reasonable salary, even for a backup.

I'm glad so many of you are comfortable with Rex, makes me feel a bit better about it. But too much of the justification I see reads something like "he just needs to protect the ball" or "he just needs to learn how to throw the ball away," etc. Do you really think his game is going to change at this point in his career? It's not.

I'd like to consider myself to be a fairly objective person, and I'll admit that yeah, he sucks, as a starter. He's not going to change. He won't stop throwing interceptions, he won't stop making dumb decisions with the football, taking sacks and stuff like that, holding the ball, intentional grounding, etc etc. At least we know that he is capable of getting the job done. Not throwing for 5 td's, having a 138 passer rating, or anything else. Just getting the job done. I would bet that a quarter of the leagues backup QB's can't even tie their shoes properly.

We are fine...until we have to use him, like your typical busted ass get-around Civic with the cobwebs and old man smell that you got while you were in high school, while your Audi A4 is in the shop.

Skinsguru..ypu literally had me LMAO. especially the part where you said you would punch your dog....lol. With that being said I think we'll be fine with Rex as long as he's the backup. RG3 will be great and if he does get hurt, Rex should be able to step in and do ok. I wouldn't want him longterm , but short term he should be fine. HTTR

---------- Post added April-19th-2012 at 02:04 PM ----------

This!!! Rex is fine, actually better than fine. With good receivers he did OK last year. as a backup, he will be even better.

Did ok? What team were you watching? 20 int's in 13 games. 5 fumbles. No.....that's not ok, that is horrible

Skinsguru..ypu literally had me LMAO. especially the part where you said you would punch your dog....lol. With that being said I think we'll be fine with Rex as long as he's the backup. RG3 will be great and if he does get hurt, Rex should be able to step in and do ok. I wouldn't want him longterm , but short term he should be fine. HTTR

---------- Post added April-19th-2012 at 02:04 PM ----------

Did ok? What team were you watching? 20 int's in 13 games. 5 fumbles. No.....that's not ok, that is horrible

Even so he's still good for at least 5 wins, as brutual as our schedule will be this year he may be more important than we know.

:munchout:

Rex has been in the system for a few years now. He'll be the backup, regardless and he's cheap. I see no issues with having Grossman as our backup. Who would you rather have that could come right in with our playbook and execute this offense?

Aaron Rogers?

After reading through this thread, it is obvious to me that the OP is simply a Rex hater and/or doesn't understand the role of a backup QB. Rex is one of the best backups in the league. Not many teams in the history of the NFL can or could ever say that their backup QB was not only a previous starter in the league, but started a Super Bowl, and still isn't asking for an reasonable salary, even for a backup.

That TOTALLY makes sense. The OP has a different opinion than you, so he must just have some kinda personal grudge against Rex Grossman.

I wish some people read what they write before they post. "Isn't asking for an reasonable salary." Assuming you meant "an unreasonable," do you think Rex is just taking a small salary as some sort of charity? Really? Obviously the market dictates what he's worth, as with every single player in the league. Supply and demand. Clearly he wasn't/isn't in high demand. Maybe 8 fumbles and 20 interceptions last season alone has something to do with it. Na, they're probably just haters too!

Rex Grossman may or may not be a reasonable backup (some have noted credible reasons why he may be), but nothing you wrote would support his cause.

No, absolutely not. If I was stupid enough to think the Skins are contending for a Super Bowl this season, maybe it would worry me.

Besides, I like Rex. He's a solid backup.

---------- Post added April-19th-2012 at 03:33 PM ----------

I think Grossman is servicable as a backup. Would he get us to the playoffs? No. We already know that.

Exactly. He wouldn't get us to the playoffs. I can, however, see him stepping in and winning a playoff game.

I'd like to consider myself to be a fairly objective person, and I'll admit that yeah, he sucks, as a starter. He's not going to change. He won't stop throwing interceptions, he won't stop making dumb decisions with the football, taking sacks and stuff like that, holding the ball, intentional grounding, etc etc. At least we know that he is capable of getting the job done. Not throwing for 5 td's, having a 138 passer rating, or anything else. Just getting the job done. I would bet that a quarter of the leagues backup QB's can't even tie their shoes properly.

We are fine...until we have to use him, like your typical busted ass get-around Civic with the cobwebs and old man smell that you got while you were in high school, while your Audi A4 is in the shop.

Can't argue with much here. Reasonable take.

Archived