Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TDB: Ashley Judd Slaps Media in the Face for Speculation over Her "Puffy" Appearance

AsburySkinsFan

Way to go Ashley! Well said. I'm sure there will be haters and trolls who reply here, but this is for the grown ups who actually care about our sons and daughters, and who celebrate humanity for what it is and don't try to measure women or men by some mythological standard!

Ashley Judd’s 'puffy' appearance sparked a viral media frenzy. But, the actress writes, the conversation is really a misogynistic assault on all women.The Conversation about women’s bodies exists largely outside of us, while it is also directed at (and marketed to) us, and used to define and control us. The Conversation about women happens everywhere, publicly and privately. We are described and detailed, our faces and bodies analyzed and picked apart, our worth ascertained and ascribed based on the reduction of personhood to simple physical objectification. Our voices, our personhood, our potential, and our accomplishments are regularly minimized and muted.

As an actor and woman who, at times, avails herself of the media, I am painfully aware of the conversation about women’s bodies, and it frequently migrates to my own body. I know this, even though my personal practice is to ignore what is written about me. I do not, for example, read interviews I do with news outlets. I hold that it is none of my business what people think of me. I arrived at this belief after first, when I began working as an actor 18 years ago, reading everything. I evolved into selecting only the “good” pieces to read. Over time, I matured into the understanding that good and bad are equally fanciful interpretations. I do not want to give my power, my self-esteem, or my autonomy, to any person, place, or thing outside myself. I thus abstain from all media about myself. The only thing that matters is how I feel about myself, my personal integrity, and my relationship with my Creator. Of course, it’s wonderful to be held in esteem and fond regard by family, friends, and community, but a central part of my spiritual practice is letting go of otheration. And casting one’s lot with the public is dangerous and self-destructive, and I value myself too much to do that.

rest of article at link....please read the WHOLE thing.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/04/09/ashley-judd-slaps-media-in-the-face-for-speculation-over-her-puffy-appearance.html

Because someone told her about it? She personally doesn't indulge in media speculation about herself. Brava to her for living her truth.

The 2 above posts speak directly to her appearance and are the result of the objectification of her, her very point in the article.

I guess I didn't know about her "puffy" face because my lady probably has no idea who she is. But with that pic shown in the article her face is puffy in comparison to how she used to look.

I don't see how this is misogynistic however...unless she is referencing women. Women are much more critical of other women than men are.

She sounds like she knows she is puffy, but doesn't care...if that is true...why did she feel the need to respond ?

There was a GREAT article on Feministe entitled, "Why 'I prefer small boobs' isn’t helping" that addresses this exact subject. I urge everyone to read it as I think she explains her case very well.

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feministe-blog/~3/pxi2re-pXT0/

It’s about casting directors who automatically cast large-breasted actresses to play The Slut or The Airhead, and who automatically cast fat actresses as The Desperate Single Friend Who Eats All the Time. It’s about women who get kicked off of planes for outfits that would be deemed perfectly inoffensive on a less-blonde, less-busty woman. It’s about women who aren’t traditionally attractive getting not getting hired, and women who are traditionally attractive not getting taken seriously in the workplace. It’s about elementary school teachers who favor pretty girls over the less-pretty ones. It’s about dismissing rape accusations because you’re either not sexy enough to get raped or so sexy you must have been asking for it. It’s about men at work and out in the world who automatically assume you’re flirting just because you have breasts in their presence. It’s about the women you **** vs. the women you marry. It’s about having your eating habits criticized regardless, whether it’s Ew, push away from the buffet or Ew, eat a sandwich. It’s about character actors who can cover the full spectrum of physical appearance and character actresses who get cut off at “quirky-looking.” It’s about teen movies where first you get the makeover, then you get the guy. It’s about never seeing yourself represented on TV or in movies because 90 percent of the world doesn’t look like 90 percent of Hollywood.

That's my favorite part of the article. I kinda envision this as a rallying speech and found myself nodding and saying yeah in agreement.

I know you're joking, but she addresses that in the article.

Very much so lol...

Because someone told her about it? She personally doesn't indulge in media speculation about herself. Brava to her for living her truth.

The 2 above posts speak directly to her appearance and are the result of the objectification of her, her very point in the article.

I was joking--hence, the "Hey-oh!" and rimshot lol--but in reality it could be said that her desire to indulge in writing a lengthy piece based off of something she claims has no effect on her anymore is...inconsistent, to say the least. If she's sincere about no longer giving a rat's ass about what the media says about her, then hearing about the reports from someone shouldn't be enough to spur on the desire to write an article like this. It would make more sense if the "puffy face" pieces in the media were about someone other than her.

I was joking--hence, the "Hey-oh!" and rimshot lol--but in reality it could be said that her desire to indulge in writing a lengthy piece based off of something she claims has no effect on her anymore is...inconsistent, to say the least. If she's sincere about no longer giving a rat's ass about what the media says about her, then hearing about the reports from someone shouldn't be enough to spur on the desire to write an article like this. It would make more sense if the "puffy face" pieces in the media were about someone other than her.

This misses the point again though because she's not lashing out because her feelings are hurt because of what was said or written, she's using her experience as a case study to criticize the misogyny (other the other word she used which is when both men and women participate) which is imbedded into our society and becomes most notable in discussions about Jessica Simpson's pregnancy weight gain et al. It is evidence of the further objectification of the human body both male and female.

Very much so lol...

She did make the article about women besides herself. And if you read the link that Thinking Skins posted, you'd get a clue also. And the paragraph of Judd's article that Thinking Skins posted also speaks to how women are perceived and objectified every day in casting parts. But it's not just about casting parts, it's about how most women experience everyday life as objects and parts to be commented upon, and basically to determine her ****ability. Because that's what it all comes down to right, if one would "do her"? If the male mind doesn't go their first thing, it's the top 2 or 3, right?

Men are treated as objects sometimes also. Not as frequently as women, sure. But they are.

I think this falls on deaf ears for the most part.

No one is forcing anyone to have this image. That is their choice. Talent supercedes the visual package in the entertainment business.

This misses the point again though because she's not lashing out because her feelings are hurt because of what was said or written, she's using her experience as a case study to criticize the misogyny (other the other word she used which is when both men and women participate) which is imbedded into our society and becomes most notable in discussions about Jessica Simpson's pregnancy weight gain et al. It is evidence of the further objectification of the human body both male and female.

Schwarzenegger was ripped mercilously by the tabloids for letting himself go somewhat.

I think when you throw yourself out there as a sex symbol, bets are off. Male or female.

She did make the article about women besides herself. And if you read the link that Thinking Skins posted, you'd get a clue also. And the paragraph of Judd's article that Thinking Skins posted also speaks to how women are perceived and objectified every day in casting parts. But it's not just about casting parts, it's about how most women experience everyday life as objects and parts to be commented upon, and basically to determine her ****ability. Because that's what it all comes down to right, if one would "do her"? If the male mind doesn't go their first thing, it's the top 2 or 3, right?

not always.

Schwarzenegger was ripped mercilously by the tabloids for letting himself go somewhat.

I think when you throw yourself out there as a sex symbol, bets are off. Male or female.

Even attempting to compare males to females in this area is absurd. Women that work in business and politics are judged on their appearance and neither requires that they be sex symbols to do their jobs.

Even attempting to compare males to females in this area is absurd. Women that work in business and politics are judged on their appearance and neither requires that they be sex symbols to do their jobs.

Politics ? You think looks don't play a part in male politicians ? Come on now.

The short-sightedness to not be able to compare is absurd. It is on a different level, but it certainly exists and happens in the entertainment business as well as others.

I had a guy that worked under me, that was told by my boss at the time that he was not taken seriously by his staff, because he was so out of shape and sloppy.

The human female form is quite simply the most beautiful thing on this planet. I mean the NATURAL human female form; not all the plastic and botox and crap. I've always prefered "real" women. I'd much rather have curves than a stick figure. I'd rather have a bit of sag than silicone. And I'd much rather have a genuine person than the "perfect" figure. In a lot of ways, I wish the standard for beauty was still what it was during the Renaissance. That's more my type than a lot of the women who are put on a pedestal now will ever be.

Men are treated as objects sometimes also. Not as frequently as women, sure. But they are.

I think this falls on deaf ears for the most part.

A point Judd addresses in the piece.

No one is forcing anyone to have this image. That is their choice. Talent supercedes the visual package in the entertainment business.

Garbage. You're seriously going to tell us that image is less important than talent in entertainment?

The short-sightedness to not be able to compare is absurd. It is on a different level, but it certainly exists and happens in the entertainment business as well as others.

I had a guy that worked under me, that was told by my boss at the time that he was not taken seriously by his staff, because he was so out of shape and sloppy.

The degree to which is happens matters a great deal because with women it often matters MORE than their job performance or ability. It's the first characteristic noted and often the one most examined. Men don't experience anything approaching that level of scrutiny.

But that's the problem, Arnold is how old now? And the attacks were comparing 60 year old Arnold to 25 year old Arnold who was competing in Mr. Universe, that right there shows how warped our society is that a person is said to have "let himself go" if he isn't still spending 10 hours in the gym every day to keep his body in top athletic shape when he's 60. As for the sex symbol, that's all about buying into the superficial objectification of the human body and looking to profit from it based on one's genetic code, in some ways when you play that game you don't have a lot to complain about, but Judd has not put herself in the "sex symbol" role, nor do I believe Arnold did either, what's more is simply being an actor or a media figure shouldn't mean they are "sex symbols". Jessica Simpson, possibly, but then she's been moving out of that role for years now, it is society that still wants to see her in that role. Same goes for Christina Aguilera, when she appeared on the scene it was all about sex, but as she has matured it has been toned down....somewhat....however she does still very much accentuate her bust, and whether her wardrobe is her choice or her producers she's allowing herself to be cast in that objectifying position. Which...as Judd states is the whole problem and we all play a part in it at one point or another.

Because that's what it all comes down to right, if one would "do her"? If the male mind doesn't go their first thing, it's the top 2 or 3, right?

I'm asking this because I truly don't know if it is right or wrong or if it has been proven scientifically, but taking out the "I'd do her" part, isn't the male species visual first? I think most men see a woman who they think are attractive first and then they get to know the rest after that first look.

I was invited to a party by a good friend of mine (female and she used to be my supervisor) and she introduced me to my current wife. We later found out it was a blind date (sort of). But I hadn't really noticed her at the party and was talking to other people. My friend said, "come with me, I want you to meet someone." The first time I saw my wife I was like, "yeah, she's really cute." So, my first reaction was visual. She was slender, had brown hair (which I prefer) and was a naturally beauty with no makeup. Plus, she was hispanic (Peruvian) and that was always a plus for me. Now over the years, I've been able to learn alot about my wife other than her looks, that makes her more beautiful every year.

Exactly, but look at the immediate and most frequent criticisms of Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton. Heck, part of Palin's draw was she was seen as the "sexy librarian" and not the typical old hag in politics.

---------- Post added April-10th-2012 at 10:55 AM ----------

Sure it is, but not nearly to the same extent as women in politics. Women have to be seen as attractive, heck look at Mitch McConnell, no one is looking at him as a sex symbol in politics yet no one criticizes him for his looks, the same cannot be said for Nancy Pelosi.

Archived