Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TDB: Ashley Judd Slaps Media in the Face for Speculation over Her "Puffy" Appearance

AsburySkinsFan

Wait, what's "derp" mean? lol...I always thought it was another way of saying "D'oh!" :ols:...

No it isn't a name, it is the sound you make when you read or hear something goofy.

Another question for the ES masses: do you think the reaction--both yours individually and the public at large--to this article and the points it's trying to make would be different if it had been written by Britney Spears?

Britney is a bit like Lohan which is why people would more than likely sneer at her more, because she has done infinitely more than Judd to sexualize herself for profit.

---------- Post added April-10th-2012 at 07:34 PM ----------

Derp? So when one does not agree with the all knowing, all being, supreme ruler of the universe, he/she is called a derp. That's real class, Give it a rest. Hail.

Might want to look up what derp actually means.

Derp is an expression associated with stupidity, much like the earlier forms of interjections like “duh” and “dur.” In image macros, the subject is typically portrayed with eyes that are pointed to each side and a caption that reads “DERP.” The words “herp” and “derp” are often used in rage comics to replace nondescript names or parts of conversation.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/derp

What I enjoy the most about this article is her "subtle" compliments to herself framed within her complaining.

"When my skin is nearly flawless, and at age 43, I do not yet have visible wrinkles that can be seen on television, I have had “work done...,”

Translation: I hate speculation that I've had work and that surgeons I've never met are adding to it, but DID YOU NOTICE HOW GREAT MY SKIN STILL LOOKS!??!

When I have gained weight, going from my usual size two/four to a six/eight after a lazy six months of not exercising, and that weight gain shows in my face and arms, I am a “cow” and a “pig” and I “better watch out” because my husband “is looking for his second wife.” (Did you catch how this one engenders competition and fear between women? How it also suggests that my husband values me based only on my physical appearance? Classic sexism. We won’t even address how extraordinary it is that a size eight would be heckled as “fat.”)

Translation: Even after not working out for six months, I'm still a size six, maybe an eight at most. Suck it, average woman!

What I especially like about that one is how she rails against the competion engendered amongst women, while still being just catty enough to remind the women reading that she's most likely skinnier than they are. In the first example she didn't even attempt to hide, that was humble-bragging at its finest.

That aside, she may have some good points, and I've gotten to an age where I appreciate talent in music/movies, etc over looks, but I'll be damned if I behave like I've been neutered and pretend I don't notice women that look good. :ols:

I don't really think she meant it like that. Women are allowed to talk about their better features and I don't think she was trying to brag about herself. Especially with the size thing. A 6 or an 8 is certainly not fat, but going from a 2-8 is a big difference. And she didn't say she thought she was fat or was bragging about still being "small" in a way that would make other women feel bad, she said the weight she has gained is noticeable. I think that's something most women can relate to.

Obviously people in the public eye are going to be judged, it's just stupid their looks are supposed to be so cookie cutter. Then women and girls read magazines and feel the need to look like that. Body image is so warped (though I feel it is very slowly starting to change).

Perhaps. But it happens to all women, not just actresses. And it happens for their entire lives.

How many times have you seen people rip on Nancy Pelosi's looks on here - the woman is 70 freaking years old.

I haven't noticed Pelosi being ripped for her looks, however I have noticed her get ripped for being insane. Perhaps people make comments about her looks just as another ad hominem because they already dislike her, just like they will with other people they dislike. I know Penguins fans always enjoyed calling Boudreau "fatty" and the like, so it's not like insulting someone's looks because you already dislike them is something restricted only to women.

Obviously people in the public eye are going to be judged, it's just stupid their looks are supposed to be so cookie cutter. Then women and girls read magazines and feel the need to look like that. Body image is so warped (though I feel it is very slowly starting to change).

There was a study done and reported in Newsweek or Time, one of those types of magazines...it was a study on teenage girls and young women, and their body images. Interestingly enough, a larger percentage of black females in those age groups were more comfortable with their bodies than their white counterparts. The reasons given had to do with black females around those ages tended to get their idea of what a woman should look like from relatives--mothers, aunts, sisters, cousins, etc. In contrast, white females in that age group had a large percentage who based their body images from how celebrities looked.

I guess I need to get out more. I had no clue what derp meant, and I had to look it up:

A simple, undefined reply when an ignorant comment or action is made. Brought to life in the South Park series, when Mr. Derp made a guest apperance at South Park Elementary as the chef for a day, followed by hitting himself in the head with a hammer and exclaiming "Derp!"

I am t0tally c00l3r than 7u n00bs.

Derp.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=derp

---------- Post added April-10th-2012 at 08:09 PM ----------

Yes. The moment you become a famous actress, you should expect to be poked, prodded, followed, and scrutinized whether or not you are on the clock. If you thrust yourself into the spotlight, you forfeit the right to complain that the spotlight is too bright or has revealed a wrinkle or two.

I feel the same way about actors and actresses who complain about a lack of privacy. I'm not a big fan of the press hounding people in their daily lives, but everyone knows that comes with the territory. So, I'm not too sympathetic to those who signed up for that and are now upset that there are some downsides to being famous.

FWIW, I agree with this, though I think after you have retired it should be a truce between the media and the person.

As a theatre and film major, and someone who has been involved in the entertainment industry, this is a topic that I feel like is never discussed but is assumed by all to be a reality.

FWIW, most of my friends who have "made it" have pretty much the same mentality as you Madison. Right or wrong, nothing is private in your life, esp. when you make it to be an "A Lister"

I really didn't want to extend into this conversation too far for more than one reason, but I did wonder if some of her comments reflect recent discussions I have heard of other actresses commenting on the same matter. Emily proctor (CSI: Miami), Mary McCormack (In Plain Sight), and Emily Deschanel (Bones) are all women in their early forties (approx) who have recently had babies and all show weight gain and other signs of carrying/delivering a baby and returning to work sooner than later.

They all have talked about being surprised at some of the "rudeness" and sheer extent of many men (in particular) commenting on their "less attractive" appearance (often directly, in e-mails and social media), often using terms from simply unflattering to very coarse and even hurtful if one was sensitive at all (and why would any new mother be sensitive about her appearance :ols:).

Interesting too in these cases, while I happen to think even Proctor takes her role to decent enough level acting-wise, neither Emily or Mary are intended to be "real sexy" either in their celebrity image or their TV role though they are often thought of as attractive by most folks that I know.

But the characters they play are certainly not carried by looks over substance (as some roles/stars do seem to be about). Even in those women's more "meaty" roles, and even with their excellent acting chops, they are noting (without any sense of "whining) hearing all this about them. And they're taken aback about this behavior of openly, and on numerous occasion, being criticized for their "less attractive" look even with having given birth recently.

Thing is, forgetting the whole "if you're capitalizing on good looks, be willing to take the negative" (which is a fairly vapid argument in most cases though it might pass superficially with certain people), it's just common courtesy to be more open about something positive in someone's appearance than negative. In most cases it's never been considered to be very socially or personally functional to greet people in public or private with a "hey, you look like you're getting more unattractive" though you might say "wow, you look great" with little chance of any harm being done. Sheesh.

And then to tie it to these women's work (as I think Ashley is noting) at a level of more meaning than merited and use that as a devaluing tool and publicly express it all is often worse than dumb, rude and potentially hurtful to the recipient without just cause. It can often be a little ugly in reflection on the character of the critic.

Now the dumb **** we say about this kind of crap in private to our friends doesn't count. :ols:

BTW, I couldn't stand Phil Donahue. Don't know what Marlo saw in him. :evilg: :D

Perhaps. But it happens to all women, not just actresses. And it happens for their entire lives.

Agreed and I don't condone society's objectification of women. My point was that, for models and actresses, physical appearance is highly relevant to the job description. While it's superficial to focus so much attention on appearance ... that's Hollywood. Maybe that's a cynical and sad POV.

She's not a ****ing messenger! :ols:...She was PART of the entire shindig that leads to the very thing she's railing against now. She's just not owning up to her part. You can not be that naive, can you? Your desire to stick up for her is admirable but causes you to completely sail over the points being made.

University of Kentucky connection.

Archived