Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TDB: Ashley Judd Slaps Media in the Face for Speculation over Her "Puffy" Appearance

AsburySkinsFan

Garbage. You're seriously going to tell us that image is less important than talent in entertainment?

You think Kevin Spacey comes across as a hunk ? Tom Hanks ? Please. How about Ron Jeremy ? Perhaps Luther Vandross, John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, Steven Tyler, Forrest Whitaker, Dustin Hoffman, etc. You want to talk women too ? Oprah is far from fitting the mold and we can add Streisand, Kathy Bates, Geena Davis, Annette Benning, Sissy Spacek, and more.

You think Kevin Spacey comes across as a hunk ? Tom Hanks ? Please. How about Ron Jeremy ? Perhaps Luther Vandross, John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, Steven Tyler, Forrest Whitaker, Dustin Hoffman, etc.

First the reason Ron Jeremy is in film is not because of any "skill" he possesses. I did notice that you cherry picked quite a few singers who are first known because of their voices on radio rather than being seen first, but who also have routinely been made fun of because of the way they look. As for Tom Hanks, he started acting young when he was a pretty good looking guy, it's only been as of late that he appears to be more the "soccer dad", same goes for Hoffman. What's more is that I am sure that ALL of those actors have been passed over for roles because they didn't meet certain predefined levels of attractiveness. Seriously, why weren't Tom Hanks or the balding Kevin Spacey cast as the lead in Legends of the Fall instead of Brad Pitt?

You want to talk women too ? Oprah is far from fitting the mold and we can add Streisand, Kathy Bates, Geena Davis, Annette Benning, Sissy Spacek, and more.

Oprah has been hammered throughout her career because of her weight, constantly. Kathy Bates is continually cast as a mom or someone borderline insane. I'm not sure about you but Annette Bening is cute, with the exception of of different hair choices. ;) Geena Davis is continually cast as the "girl next door" who has a subtle sex appeal but then that was blown up in "The Long Kiss Goodnight". Sissy Spacek made her start in Carrie where she was a psycho after that it was Coal Miner's daughter where she was supposed to be homely, and Streisand is a singer first (already addressed). None of these women are what the industry would consider the ideals, instead they are the exceptions to the rule and most of whom began their careers playing roles where looking odd was a main characteristic of the character being played. So lets stop pretending that Kathy Bates was ever going to be cast in Kate Winslet's role on Titanic instead of the fat loud mouth new-money hick character she played.

---------- Post added April-10th-2012 at 11:30 AM ----------

Ashley Judd had no problem cashing in on her looks and her youth when she still had them. A myriad of her old magazine covers will back me up on that.

The problem with your sentence is "when she still had them", by that statement you tip your hand that apparently she doesn't have "them" anymore...as if there was a "them" in the first place. You reveal that you're playing the game. What's more is that if you actually read the whole article (and I can tell you didn't) you'd have read that she admits that she's been drawn into the sex symbol game in her life too, as we all have, and that she was wrong for doing so. But, hey let's ignore what's being said and use ad hominem to attack the messenger. Brilliant.

Ashley Judd had no problem cashing in on her looks and her youth when she still had them. A myriad of her old magazine covers will back me up on that.

OMG you're right she does have a career in show business and she is/was pretty. Well I guess that means she surrendered her right to have an opinion on this. :ols:

OMG you're right she does have a career in show business and she is/was pretty. Well I guess that means she surrendered her right to have an opinion on this. :ols:

I take her opinion for what I feel it is...the bitter ramblings of a has been whose best days are behind her and is now forced to star in ABC mid season replacements instead of popular movie roles. She's a hypocrite who used her looks and family name to achieve her fame. Now she wants to bite the hand that fed her.

I take her opinion for what I feel it is...the bitter ramblings of a has been whose best days are behind her and is now forced to star in ABC mid season replacements instead of popular movie roles. She's a hypocrite who used her looks and family name to achieve her fame. Now she wants to bite the hand that fed her.

I also think that the best course of action to take when my world view is challenged is always to simply assume the worst of those doing the challenging. Makes it much easier to keep the blinders on and feel good about it.

Even attempting to compare males to females in this area is absurd. Women that work in business and politics are judged on their appearance and neither requires that they be sex symbols to do their jobs.

Everyone is judged on their apperance.

I think your do-gooder Stuart smalley approach is absurd. so there.

There is no question that women have it rougher than men, that they will be judged upon their looks in ways that men won't. The Tailgate has proved that a hundred times over.

Any guy who doesn't understand that reality is deluding themselves, and any guy who thinks that a woman has stepped out of line for being irritated by that reality is a jerk.

Of course, that's just my opinion. :)

Here comes Phil Donahue 2.0. Where's LKB? We could make this a NOW orgy.

Leesburg has this one right. Somebody wants to trade on her name and good looks, good looks dissapear, she cries about double standard. STFU.

In other news, for all you NOW jock sniffers, google "leonardo dicaprio fat" and drink a warm glass of STFU yourselves :ols:

What I enjoy the most about this article is her "subtle" compliments to herself framed within her complaining.

"When my skin is nearly flawless, and at age 43, I do not yet have visible wrinkles that can be seen on television, I have had “work done...,”

Translation: I hate speculation that I've had work and that surgeons I've never met are adding to it, but DID YOU NOTICE HOW GREAT MY SKIN STILL LOOKS!??!

When I have gained weight, going from my usual size two/four to a six/eight after a lazy six months of not exercising, and that weight gain shows in my face and arms, I am a “cow” and a “pig” and I “better watch out” because my husband “is looking for his second wife.” (Did you catch how this one engenders competition and fear between women? How it also suggests that my husband values me based only on my physical appearance? Classic sexism. We won’t even address how extraordinary it is that a size eight would be heckled as “fat.”)

Translation: Even after not working out for six months, I'm still a size six, maybe an eight at most. Suck it, average woman!

What I especially like about that one is how she rails against the competion engendered amongst women, while still being just catty enough to remind the women reading that she's most likely skinnier than they are. In the first example she didn't even attempt to hide, that was humble-bragging at its finest.

That aside, she may have some good points, and I've gotten to an age where I appreciate talent in music/movies, etc over looks, but I'll be damned if I behave like I've been neutered and pretend I don't notice women that look good. :ols:

Instead of haters and trolls, ASF might have been more accurate if he'd predicted the 50/50 ratio of tailgate's typically braindead idiot responses to a topic like this. Need a sign over the entrance: "****ing morons live here." :)

But it's only about half the population, and the rent is cheap. :)

Everyone is judged on their apperance.

I think your do-gooder Stuart smalley approach is absurd. so there.

You are correct everyone is judged at some level, and to varying degrees, by their appearance. We'll just pretend that means it's all the same.

It's not the fact that she (and heck, as said, everyone) is judged on their appearance; it's the fact that her body is judged according to standards that we as a society and the media have deemed as 'normal'. Body-shaming. I think Judd is commenting on the fact that to be viewed as an 'attractive woman', you must look like the Cosmo spread.

That being said, it shouldn't be surprising given her celebrity status.

This world is screwed up when it comes to body image...judging others...and being judged.

My wife was watching America's Next Top model. They had two "plus sized" models. They were size 8. No wonder a lot of women have body image issues.

Schwarzenegger was ripped mercilously by the tabloids for letting himself go somewhat.

I think when you throw yourself out there as a sex symbol, bets are off. Male or female.

Ashley Judd never threw herself out as a sex symbol, your assumption that she was is EXACTLY the point she was making about misogynism..

I guess I didn't know about her "puffy" face because my lady probably has no idea who she is. But with that pic shown in the article her face is puffy in comparison to how she used to look.

I don't see how this is misogynistic however...unless she is referencing women. Women are much more critical of other women than men are.

She sounds like she knows she is puffy, but doesn't care...if that is true...why did she feel the need to respond ?

You dont think its misogynistic that the entertainment industry went to Defcon-2 because Ashley might have (gasp) gained a few pounds? Besides athletes, whose weight often directly relates to their ability to perform their jobs, name me one time, ONE TIME, that anywhere close to as much attention has ever been paid to a male gaining a few pounds.

Besides that 3rd magazine cover, which is out-of-character for her, none of those magazine covers are really even remotely sexual.

The magazines themselves are. And here she is gracing the covers of them. Here's a question: If she looked like her sister Wynonna would she have enjoyed anything close to the success she achieved?

There is no question that women have it rougher than men, that they will be judged upon their looks in ways that men won't. The Tailgate has proved that a hundred times over.

Any guy who doesn't understand that reality is deluding themselves, and any guy who thinks that a woman has stepped out of line for being irritated by that reality is a jerk.

Of course, that's just my opinion. :)

Well said.

LeesburgSkinFan, Im not going to pretend yuo dont have a good point. Ashley made a killing, millions of dollars, based mostly off of her looks, but now is realizing that this is a double-edged sword. She may not be the best person to decry the tendency to reduce women to attractiveness, because she has made millions from her own attractiveness, and I highly doubt she thinks all her success is becuase/

However, her point is still 100% correct. It would probably be better made from an obese ugly woman who has never been givven a chance because of her looks. But then again, nobodly listens to what ugly women have to say -- which again, proves Ashley's point

Archived