Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don't forget about Armstrong

Rhodus333

It's just a ridiculous amount of "vet leadership" they would seem to feel they needed for basically a veteran corps at this point.

If they are both back, AA is almost surely gone. But again, I think at least one of them should go.

Again, your preaching to the choir.

And besides anything else, I'd prefer the young group we're assembling to learn and grow together along with the QB, and take what ever licks they may as they go.

Hail.

Locks

0 Garcon, Pierre WR 6-0 210 25 4 Mount Union

85 Hankerson, Leonard WR 6-2 209 23 1 Miami (Fla.)

0 Morgan, Josh. WR 6-1 215 26 4 Virginia Tech

84 Paul, Niles WR 6-1 224 22 1 Nebraska

Maybe

10 Gaffney, Jabar WR 6-2 200 31 10 Florida

89 Moss, Santana WR 5-10 205 32 11 Miami (Fla.)

11 Robinson, Aldrick. WR 5-10 184 23 1 Southern Methodist

Gone

Banks

Austin

Armstrong

13 Armstrong, Anthony WR 5-11 185 28 2 West Texas A&M

18 Austin, Terrence WR 5-11 175 23 2 UCLA

16 Banks, Brandon WR 5-7 155 24 2 Kansas State

10 Gaffney, Jabar WR 6-2 200 31 10 Florida

0 Garcon, Pierre WR 6-0 210 25 4 Mount Union

85 Hankerson, Leonard WR 6-2 209 23 1 Miami (Fla.)

0 Morgan, Josh. WR 6-1 215 26 4 Virginia Tech

89 Moss, Santana WR 5-10 205 32 11 Miami (Fla.)

84 Paul, Niles WR 6-1 224 22 1 Nebraska

11 Robinson, Aldrick. WR 5-10 184 23 1 Southern Methodist

I would cut the top 3 AA,Austin and Banks keep 7. With maybe a draft pick or udfa to go on ps.

Again, your preaching to the choir.

And besides anything else, I'd prefer the young group we're assembling to learn and grow together along with the QB, and take what ever licks they may as they go.

Hail.

If your gonna keep one veteran guy around and focus on giving most of the opportunities to the young guys, wouldnt it make sense to keep the one who doesnt hold any trade appeal, has the speed to keep up with the younger guys, and is willing to push the competition and work for a spot rather than feel entitled to one based on seniority?

Oh and also costs u the least?

Like i said hes not a lock. But for a team in rebuilding mode i think hes a steal at a low price that can immediatley contribute if any of the new.guys turns out to be injured or not as good as advertised for whatever reason. A safety net to use while the new guys get up to speed and learn the playbook.

I really hope AA gets a chance to prove you guys wrong. Loved him in 10 and he is a fantastic underdog story. I really like the little guy make good tales.

Hopefully, he sticks around. It will be tough for him because it looks like the top three are set... and then there's Hankerson. Armstrong isn't a special teams star so he's got the hard uphill fight to get on the team.

I'll be rooting for him though.

If your gonna keep one veteran guy around and focus on giving most of the opportunities to the young guys, wouldnt it make sense to keep the one who doesnt hold any trade appeal, has the speed to keep up with the younger guys, and is willing to push the competition and work for a spot rather than feel entitled to one based on seniority?

Oh and also costs u the least?

Like i said hes not a lock. But for a team in rebuilding mode i think hes a steal at a low price that can immediatley contribute if any of the new.guys turns out to be injured or not as good as advertised for whatever reason. A safety net.

If any player, vet. or not, rest on their laurels and think their entitled to a spot under this HC, then they'd better have some good contacts on speed dial because they won't be around here too long.

I guess the counter argument to the above is that all that rests on finding clubs that would give up something for the other two. If you can't, and your down to keeping one or two from the oldest three, then Armstrong would be the odd man out all ways round.

Hail.

Eh maybe. When i say entitled i mean more of feeling entitled to a top spot, not necessarily just on the roster. The way moss felt he could be a number one on this team but probably no where else. And as someone mentioned, AA has only 2 seasons under his belt (less actually with the injury) so hes got alot less wear and tear than either moss or gaffney. I think that makes.him a better option if your looking for depth that can stick around for more than a season or 2.

Actually if u combine that with his speed and the money tied up with moss id give the edge to.armstrong if your arguing who can give you more.production for cheaper. Hes faster, cheaper, taller, younger, has the same amount of years in the system, and has a longer shelf life to be an effective weapon. If your trying to move forward and get younger the decision should be based on who has the potential to help the team more in the upcoming season not necessarily who has helped the team the most in the last few years.

I think gaffneys got him beat based on his performance last year but i think his familiarity with grossman should be taken into account pluz the fact that both AA and moss were injured which led to alot of playing time for him. I think AA is younger than gaffney too but not positive...

Banks isn't a wide receiver. He's a returner. Shanahan doesn't consider him as a player taking up a slot as a wide receiver on the depth chart. He's considered a special teamer in the exact same manner that Nick Sundberg is.

With Hankerson, Garcon, Morgan, Gaffney, and Moss, I don't believe a single one plays special teams. Armstrong played a valuable role as a gunner last season, and played it well, and that's probably how he'll have to make the team. Though as Shanahan loves to say, he doesn't have "big upside" as a 29 year old.

Niles Paul will make the team, guaranteed.

And for anyone who wants Shanahan to cut Moss or Gaffney, unless it's for cap purposes, I think there's no chance in hell. He loves veterans -- he's the guy who employed Joey Galloway and Roydell Williams and Donte Stallworth over the promising (if not unproven) youth fans consistently clamored for. Gaffney is an excellent route runner, proven in the system, a guy who Tom Brady still wishes he had (on record). He's an ideal veteran for a rookie learning the system.

And Santana Moss is the consummate professional, plays the slot (we have no other principal slot receiver), and is another perfectionist route runner. With 2 years of experience in the system. And playing on essentially a one-year, prove-it deal, with his contract situation.

Given how much we've been hit by the injury bug at the position, and how necessary it is to be able to throw out 4 legitimate wide receiver targets on any given play, I have little doubt that we'll end up keeping 7.

Ultimately, Armstrong will battle Aldrick Robinson and any rookie we add in the draft for that final slot. Ideally, the full complement of guys stays healthy. Armstrong has an edge over Robinson, as Aldrick still has practice squad eligibility

I like Morgan over Armstrong. Armstrong is inconsistent and drops too many gimmie balls. Had a few drops last year that made me want to pull out my hair. Reminds me of TO.

I would honestly put him at the bottom of the list, along with Moss. I like Garcon (obviously I suppose) and Morgan more. I liked Stallworth too, and we stupidly got rid of him.

I really hope AA gets a chance to prove you guys wrong. Loved him in 10 and he is a fantastic underdog story. I really like the little guy make good tales.

He proved people right last year, when teams figured out how to press him and keep physical with him in his routes as much as the rules allowed. He was successful in 2010, but took a dramatic step backwards last year. I do agree that he isn't a special teamer really so he is fighting an uphill battle.

Also, isn't he going to turn 30 this year, or was it 29? I think he and Banks are gone.

---------- Post added March-28th-2012 at 09:34 PM ----------

Niles Paul is Special teams gold...He will be the #6 receiver...

Garcon

Morgan

Hankerson

Moss

Gaffney/Armstrong

Paul

If we can Trade one of them I would like Austin to get that spot...

I like this, but I think we keep 7 receivers on the roster. I remove Armstrong and bump Paul up. I put Aldrick Robinson in that #7 spot, though inactive most games unless he is our returner in place of Banks.

It's hard not to forget about AA, he literally disappeared over and over again in 2011. Doubt he makes the opening day roster at this point, and I'm fine with that, considering who's going to be ahead of him.

Garcon

Hankerson

Moss

Gaffney

Morgan

Even if it isn't in that order, I'd take all 5 of these guys over AA right now. And I don't want us to hold 6 WRs again. Not with Banks gone...

Gaffney=1 hit wonder much like Armstrong. Do you keep him?

We have to keep Gaffney. He was our best and most reliable receiver last year. When Rex didn't look like he had a chance, he always found Gaffney.

A security blanket for a young QB is quite necessary, in my opinion.

If i were the Redskins, Id try to trade AA if we could get any kind of decent value for him. I dont see him making the team this year. It would have been fun to have some Garcon, AA outside Moss slot packages, but i don't see him making the team this year unless he steps his game up. I hope he does.

I'm more excited about the potential of Leonard Hankerson, Terrence Austin (really like his skill set, he deserves a chance), and Niles Paul. Would love to see those players see a lot of snaps next year, I really think they can become something given an oppurtunity, I have to say I really don't see a lot in Aldrick Robinson, wasn't exactly jumping with joy when we drafted him either it's just that nothing sticks out to me about his game. Armstrong has probably wore out his welcome if he can't consistently produce anymore, if he were a normal age for a 2 or 3 year player I would say keep him, he did absolutely NOTHING (beside from one nice catch, to his credit) last year and he's going on I think 29 years old.

Glad to see we have some speed and some good depth/choices here, I have no idea what the lineup will be and it's looking like another logjam at wide receiver again.

This is easy. Cuts: Aldrick Robinson and Terrence Austin. Niles Paul to the PS and we keep 7 receivers or get rid of Banks and keep 6 of we need the spot for another position.

AA didn't play well last year because of injury and the QB that was (wasn't) throwing the ball. He is primarily a deep threat receiver and could easily be back to his 2010 form with Griffin under center.

Garçon, Moss, Gaffney, Hankerson, Morgan, AA makes a good WR rotation and gives us protection when an injury happens.

This is easy. Cuts: Aldrick Robinson and Terrence Austin. Niles Paul to the PS and we keep 7 receivers or get rid of Banks and keep 6 of we need the spot for another position.

AA didn't play well last year because of injury and the QB that was (wasn't) throwing the ball. He is primarily a deep threat receiver and could easily be back to his 2010 form with Griffin under center.

Garçon, Moss, Gaffney, Hankerson, Morgan, AA makes a good WR rotation and gives us protection when an injury happens.

Here is part of the Practice Squad rules, on eligibility based on NFL games suited up for.

Players can't have an accrued season of NFL experience (six or more games on a team's 53-man roster, injured reserve or PUP list), unless they were on the active list (i.e. were dressed to play) for fewer than nine regular season games during their only accrued season(s)

I don't know if that includes games they were inactive for, though part of the 53 man squad. ESPN and NFL list both Paul and Austin as having been part of 13 Games last year.

AA started the season injured and never really gained form.

It also didn't help that his greatest strength is running down the field and catching the ball deep but we had a QB that couldn't throw over 20 yards.

I agree injuries played a part. In the first Giants game, he seemed to be a big part of the gameplan. I even remember Shanny saying losing him was a major factor in why are offense stalled early in the season.

The strength of Griffin's game is the deep ball, and AA is a real weapon at that. It seems like common sense to keep as many players as you can who fit RG3's gama. And especially a minimum salary vet who's been productive.

I couldn't agree with the OP and this comment more. Armstrong can play. I would also like to see him returning punts if he can do that.

Archived