Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don't forget about Armstrong

Rhodus333

I think Garcon, Morgan and Hankerson are the only real locks.

What other players make the roster should depend wholely on how they perform in the off-season, training camp and pre-season games. If Armstrong makes the team he will have deserved it and i'll be happy to have him on our roster. What he did two years ago should have no bearing on the decision, in the same way what Santana Moss did on MNF shouldn't and what we think Niles Paul is capable of shouldn't either. Let them compete. Should be fun to watch.

With gaffney on the trading block, i think armstrong's chances just got alot better. Watch the highlight clips from the OP with this thought in mind.....

Makes keeping Armstrong on the team an absolute no brainer in my opinion. He's certainly had the most success within the offense of any of the recievers on the roster when he was healthy enough to play. Hoping that with the offseqson to get his legs right, he comes out blazing like he did in 2010, only with a much better qb situation

I think his chances got better to make the club, but I'm still not convinced he has a roster spot locked up.

I think Garcon, Morgan and Hankerson are the only real locks.

What other players make the roster should depend wholely on how they perform in the off-season, training camp and pre-season games. If Armstrong makes the team he will have deserved it and i'll be happy to have him on our roster. What he did two years ago should have no bearing on the decision, in the same way what Santana Moss did on MNF shouldn't and what we think Niles Paul is capable of shouldn't either. Let them compete. Should be fun to watch.

I agree for the most part with this, the one comment ill make though is that armstrongs performance from 2 years ago should hold a little more weight in that it was done within our current offense. Moss' MNF was under a different coordinator and playbook. But agreed, its a league with a short memory and a "what can you do for me NOW" mentality

Probably already been said, but as much as I was excited about AA's potential in the beginning, I tend to feel more like how the "skinsiders" were describing the matter in their first podcast. Maybe some of it was position coaching, I don't know.

Great story, but he's not making the roster.

wouldnt be so sure. if he impresses in camp, and provides that deep speed that this offense needs, he'll definitly make the squad. He did it two years ago, so hes already a proven commodity of sorts in regards to this offense and this regime. I think he makes it

wouldnt be so sure. if he impresses in camp, and provides that deep speed that this offense needs, he'll definitly make the squad. He did it two years ago, so hes already a proven commodity of sorts in regards to this offense and this regime. I think he makes it

There's no room for him. He's not much of a ST'er, which rules out the end of the roster where young guys like Robinson, Austin, a draft pick, or Banks have a shot to stick. He's not going to be in the top-4 with Garcon, Morgan, Moss, Hankerson there. I guess its possible he sticks as a deep threat now that Paul won't be a WR, but that's Garcon's role now. I doubt he sees the field much if he makes the roster by virtue of hard work and beating everyone else out.

I still see us taking a slot receiver/returner in the draft, which takes up another spot. Things get less murky for him with Gaffney gone and Paul at TE, but its still a tight squeeze and if we add just a single draft pick to the position, I don't like his chances.

There's no room for him. He's not much of a ST'er, which rules out the end of the roster where young guys like Robinson, Austin, a draft pick, or Banks have a shot to stick. He's not going to be in the top-4 with Garcon, Morgan, Moss, Hankerson there. I guess its possible he sticks as a deep threat now that Paul won't be a WR, but that's Garcon's role now. I doubt he sees the field much if he makes the roster by virtue of hard work and beating everyone else out.

I still see us taking a slot receiver/returner in the draft, which takes up another spot. Things get less murky for him with Gaffney gone and Paul at TE, but its still a tight squeeze and if we add just a single draft pick to the position, I don't like his chances.

Well if Robinson or Austin can supplant him then more power to them, but in my opinion thats unlikely. This board tends to overrate players' ability, and i dont see that much potential out of Robinson or Austin, regardless of Austins performance in preseason last year. My opinion of course, but i beleive Armstrong snags the 5th recievert spot. His speed offeres another dynamic to the offense that nother Robinson or Austin bring. Plus, adding in his production in this offense makes it an easier decision. Other players would really have to impress, for them to sever ties with Armstrong.

Well if Robinson or Austin can supplant him then more power to them, but in my opinion thats unlikely.

My entire point was that end-of-roster WR's need to play ST's. Our current young guys do, Armstrong doesn't. That's why they'd "beat him out" for the spot.

This board tends to overrate players' ability, and i dont see that much potential out of Robinson or Austin, regardless of Austins performance in preseason last year.

I actually agree, on Austin. Robinson is still an unknown who just choked in preseason last year. He hasn't gotten much of a shot, but he's explosive. Again, they do play ST's though.

If we can agree that the top-4 WR's on our roster will be, in some order:

Garcon

Morgan

Moss

Hankerson

And that they'll keep at least one WR from the young guys to develop and play ST's...

That's 5 WR's. If we draft one, that's 6.

How many WR's do you think we'll keep this year? We're moving Paul to TE, so we keep him without taking up a WR spot. Gaffney's getting traded, so there's that. I just don't see much room for Armstrong when he isn't a ST's contributor. He needs to be in the top-4 on the depth chart, or he needs to play ST's, or he needs to be a young developmental guy or draft pick.

He's none of those things.

His speed offeres another dynamic to the offense that neither Robinson or Austin bring.

Robinson is a speed demon as well, though he's all potential right now.

Other players would really have to impress, for them to sever ties with Armstrong.

Armstrong spent much of last season in the dog house. So I don't think it will take as much as you think to impress the coaches more than Armstrong.

I could of course be wrong, I just don't see it happening.

Assuming we are moving Paul to TE, then yes Armstrong will make the team. I don't think we're drafting a WR and Gaffney's getting cut. Banks will make the team, but he's fighting the entire roster, not just the WR's becausse he's more of a gadget play guy who has to prove that he's good enough to be kept around and steal a roster spot from another position. That leaves us with Robinson, Austin, and Armstrong.

I like Austin in pre-season but I don't like him as a regular season player. He's fast and pretty good against scrubs but he's not worth more to me. Armstrong is solid and has had a good season in the past. He's also fast, and we're gonna want that for RGIII. Robinson is fast as well, but I'd prefer him on the practice squad this year and sign him to a spot as soon as someone gets hurt and see what he's got.

As far as special teams is concerned, I don't think that Armstrong not playing on special teams hurts him. First, because he can if we need him to. He's done it in pre-season and while I wouldn't call that a great sample for his abilities, it does show that he at least knows what to do. I also think that even if Paul gets moved to TE, he'll still be on special teams so that's not a concern for me.

---------- Post added April-21st-2012 at 04:06 PM ----------

Isn't Anthony Armstrong on both the kick/punt coverage units?

I know he's out there sometimes on kicks. I don't think he's on punts but that may be wrong.

I don't know but they really did keep around a ton of receivers last year while only having a couple back-up OL at times so anything is possible. 10 WR's? No way but I wouldn't be surprised with 8 again,

I think we'll be at 5. 6 at the most. I'm also not counting Banks as a WR.

Isn't Anthony Armstrong on both the kick/punt coverage units?

You sure dg?

I don't remember him out there, but it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong.

---------- Post added April-21st-2012 at 03:48 PM ----------

I think we'll be at 5. 6 at the most. I'm also not counting Banks as a WR.

I'm not even considering Banks on the team after his sophomore regression.

When your luxury's not even a luxury any more, you got nothing.

Hail.

Archived