Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don't forget about Armstrong

Rhodus333

Teams had him figured out after the first year. He's got to be able to beat bump coverage to even think about staying around now.

Didn't McNabb throw it to him the majority of the time that season? Grossman didn't have the long ball. Do you think maybe it was the QB and not the WR?

As Hunterx said, Paul is not eligible for the Practice Squad. Paul also is one of our best special teams players, there is no way he's not on the active roster each game.

Austin has the tools to make the team as a slot guy. He just hasn't quite gotten it yet. Players like Antonio Brown (Steelers) and Victor Cruz (Giants) have I believe similar measurements and 40 times.

I really hope AA gets a chance to prove you guys wrong. Loved him in 10 and he is a fantastic underdog story. I really like the little guy make good tales.

Hopefully, he sticks around. It will be tough for him because it looks like the top three are set... and then there's Hankerson. Armstrong isn't a special teams star so he's got the hard uphill fight to get on the team.

I'll be rooting for him though.

He COULD be a special teams player... the reason he is in the NFL is because of his Special teams play, (along with his WR play of course) look it up in 2006 Arena League he had an onside kick return for a touchdown, THE deciding touchdown for his team to win, and he also returned kicks through his college and IFL/AFL career

---------- Post added March-29th-2012 at 05:08 PM ----------

As Hunterx said, Paul is not eligible for the Practice Squad. Paul also is one of our best special teams players, there is no way he's not on the active roster each game.

Austin has the tools to make the team as a slot guy. He just hasn't quite gotten it yet. Players like Antonio Brown (Steelers) and Victor Cruz (Giants) have I believe similar measurements and 40 times.

Oh and as long as Paul doesn't do this on Special Teams, I'm fine with that....................

It will be a battle come camp and I'm not sure if AA has got the skills to stick around. He's one dimensional, even though that dimension is important. We'll see what having a real QB is like, makes me think we should re-analyze our WR core on a clean slate. I say maybe he makes it, 40-50% chance.

I don't know if Armstrong will make it next year. Defensive backs manhandled him last year. I think Paul is a darkhorse, Shanahan came out and said he thinks Paul will be a very good receiver

Completely true. At the line of scrimmage his game suffers on press coverage. And when the ball is in the air, he lacks the strength and body frame to make plays.

As much as I like AA and his story, I think the Garcon signing is the writing on the wall for him. Right now I'd like us to keep 6- Garcon, Morgan, Gaffney, Hankerson, Paul, and one of either Moss, Austin, or Robinson. Tana is great, but he really doesn't have that breakaway speed that teams want in their slot guy. It may be time to give somebody else a chance.

Can't keep too many of the same type of receiver on the team.

For possession receivers, I would think Hankerson and Gaffney there. Gaffney may not have size, but he seemed to be the most reliable to get open for the first down last year.

For the Deep threat, I believe Garcon and Armstrong, right?

For that short to intermediate route tree, slants, hitches and outs, we would see Moss, Paula and Morgan?

We haven't seen too much "play" from Austin or Robinson for me to figure out where they would fit in. I don't think Banks fits anywhere.

Am I missing anyone? This also doesn't include WR's we possibly draft and/or pickup through UFA, OTA's and Training Camp.

If I had to guess (not depth-chart order) --

1. Moss

2. Gaffney

3. Garcon

4. Hank

5. Morgan

6. Paul

7. Robinson

IMHO, I think the only non-locks are Moss and Gaffney. At best, this will be the last year in B&G for either of them (will be sad when we part from Moss, but that's the biz). I would bet money both Paul and Robinson make it. IIRC, didn't we activate Robinson because we sensed interest from another team? Austin, AA, and Banks gone.

YAC is a different story, of course. Garçon should help in that department. You still cannot deny Gaffney's production last year in the midst of a real QB struggle from start to finish.

No, YAC is part of the story. It's specifically why Garçon & Morgan were brought in. We didn't even have a 1,000 yard WR last year. Hell, the last GOOD receiver tandem we had was Westbrook & Connell. And they only caught fire for one year.

I like Morgan over Armstrong. Armstrong is inconsistent and drops too many gimmie balls. Had a few drops last year that made me want to pull out my hair. Reminds me of TO.

He did drop alot of balls last year. He'll have to have surer hands in TC if he wants a roster spot.

---------- Post added March-30th-2012 at 09:43 AM ----------

Garcon

Hankerson

Moss

Gaffney

Morgan

Even if it isn't in that order, I'd take all 5 of these guys over AA right now. And I don't want us to hold 6 WRs again. Not with Banks gone...

I think we'll keep 6 at minumum. Maybe 7 if they want a return guy.

I want to keep Austin if possible for potential.....he could be our answer at SLOT next year when Moss is gone.

Austin for me has been too inconsistant. I think the coaching staff loves what Robinson brings as a future slot receiver and from what the media is saying, the coaches are raving about how hard Aldrick worked in the offseason.

Agree. If we don't re-sign Westbrook, Paul becomes our best gunner. The tandem of those 2 were the best in the league IMO. And you could be right that Austin may have to have a "get it" year like Brown and Cruz did.

If I had to guess (not depth-chart order) --

1. Moss

2. Gaffney

3. Garcon

4. Hank

5. Morgan

6. Paul

7. Robinson

IMHO, I think the only non-locks are Moss and Gaffney. At best, this will be the last year in B&G for either of them (will be sad when we part from Moss, but that's the biz). I would bet money both Paul and Robinson make it. IIRC, didn't we activate Robinson because we sensed interest from another team? Austin, AA, and Banks gone.

This is probably what it will look like when the smoke clears in August/September.

It doesn't matter that AA can run a 4.25 40 w/o pads or a DB on him. He turns into a 5.5 40 guy as soon as he is bumped at the line (as others have mentioned), he is not physical enough right now to be effective. Id rather him get slower but stronger so he can fight with those DBs and get off the line.

What would be the point in keeping Gaffney on board? I have nothing against him, but don't see the point in hanging on to him and sacrificing a roster spot that could be held by a younger, faster, more explosive guy. I'd rather see AA rebound, or TA emerge, or see what Robinson can do. Maybe the new WR coach willl help Armstrong work against press coverage.

i would keep gaffney based on his 1 handed td catch last year alone... hes clearly one of our best receivers.

last year everybody was, "we need armstrong to win" and when he came back, we still lost. maybe because grossman didnt have the arm to get it to him, but i dont see him staying

i think armstrong wont make the team.. if he couldnt perform well last year when we had next to nothing at WR, i dont see how he'll make the cut now that we've added two starters...

i also think we should attempt to trade gaffney..

---------- Post added March-30th-2012 at 04:55 PM ----------

What would be the point in keeping Gaffney on board? I have nothing against him, but don't see the point in hanging on to him and sacrificing a roster spot that could be held by a younger, faster, more explosive guy. I'd rather see AA rebound, or TA emerge, or see what Robinson can do. Maybe the new WR coach willl help Armstrong work against press coverage.

agreed.. his production will likely go down significantly without so many targets, then we'll get nothing for him.

• 3 weeks later...

With gaffney on the trading block, i think armstrong's chances just got alot better. Watch the highlight clips from the OP with this thought in mind.....

Aside from Gaffney, can you think of any other reciever that has been close to Armstrong's level of success IN THIS OFFENSIVE SCHEME? Everyone of those highlights are from kyle shanahans playbook, and as excited as i am with the addition of Garcon and Morgan, we have yet to see them be successful running our offense.

Makes keeping Armstrong on the team an absolute no brainer in my opinion. He's certainly had the most success within the offense of any of the recievers on the roster when he was healthy enough to play. Hoping that with the offseqson to get his legs right, he comes out blazing like he did in 2010, only with a much better qb situation

Archived