Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Report: Redskins give Rex Grossman 1-year deal

RedskinsFanInTX

I don't know why people get so hooked on QB's "mentoring" other QB's. Do you really think that happens very often? Do you think Favre was putting in time with Aaron Rodgers? Was Peyton Manning mentoring Orlovsky, Barth, and Painter? Is Brady spending time working on the playbook with...uh, some guy?

QB's aren't sitting on the bench learning from the starting QB, they're learning from the coaches and having time to familiarize themselves with the playbook and in practice. RG3 isn't going to magically pick up bad habits because Rex is around. If he's sitting for the first half of the season, it's not because the coaches are hoping Rex can impart some extra knowledge in that time, it's because they want to work with him themselves to improve his game.

Grossman is here as a stop gap and/or backup. You know, the QB that comes in in case of an injury. A BACKUP, not a mentor.

I'm fine with Rex as a backup. I mean what do you guys want Tom Brady to be your backup QB? For the most part if your backup QB has to play you're probably screwed anyway. At least Rex is still capable of going out and winning a game if heaven forbid something were to happen to RG3.

Nah, Orton wouldn't have been a better choice. You really don't want two qbs starting from zero. We want our coaches to be able to really focus on RGIII or Luck. Grossman affords them that opportunity. Now, if the training staff can really get on Grossman's case and improve his armstrength by about 10 percent... he'll be more than adequate as a back up.

The kid came in fat. Hopefully, he's the kind that responds to coaching and needs discipline. The decisions we have to live with, but his long ball can get longer and his pitches can get faster.

Hasselbeck and Locker had to learn the offense in Tenn, they did fine. I don't think the backup QB learning the offense will have any effect on how well RG3 does or the coaches ability to get him ready.

A veteran QB with an offseason should be able to pick up an offense fairly quickly. People have this impression this offense is so complicated, nobody can get it. Kyle Shanahan even himself said it's difficulty is overrated. He didn't reinvent the wheel. If Kyle Orton or some other vet had come in here today, they should be able to hit the ground running by the time OTAs start.

Under the circumstances, he's probably the best option available. But I don't know if I want Rex Grossman grooming my rookie QB. He shows up overweight to camp which is not what a pro and leader should be doing, and then he makes bad decisions on the field.

---------- Post added March-18th-2012 at 11:07 AM ----------

I like the move. Will make a good backup. A vet with 3 years in the system.

Rex can win games (he can lose them as well) but Beck gives you no chance from the outset.

Not many.

He's ok, I guess, you gotta have somebody.

I don't know why people get so hooked on QB's "mentoring" other QB's. Do you really think that happens very often? Do you think Favre was putting in time with Aaron Rodgers? Was Peyton Manning mentoring Orlovsky, Barth, and Painter? Is Brady spending time working on the playbook with...uh, some guy?

QB's aren't sitting on the bench learning from the starting QB, they're learning from the coaches and having time to familiarize themselves with the playbook and in practice. RG3 isn't going to magically pick up bad habits because Rex is around. If he's sitting for the first half of the season, it's not because the coaches are hoping Rex can impart some extra knowledge in that time, it's because they want to work with him themselves to improve his game.

Grossman is here as a stop gap and/or backup. You know, the QB that comes in in case of an injury. A BACKUP, not a mentor.

Disagree 100% in this situation. Every example you listed states the star QB mentoring a lowly backup.

In this case, we have a rookie QB trying to learn from the backup. It is similar to why the lions brought in Shaun Hill when Linehan came in. To help Matthew Stafford because Hill is a master of that offense, just physically limited. And if Stafford goes down for a couple of games, the offense can continue to move the ball under the backup. He is a role player. He understands this and accepts this.

Your examples were all opposite of what we are trying to accomplish.

Solid move. Can't expect much else really, when the world knows we are picking a QB at #2. Not many others will want to sign here.

Plus, I think Shanny goes back to only having 2 QB's in the 53. Makes sense for Rex to be that other guy, imo.

I agree if we're talking about a starter. Brady, Manning, Favre, were starters in the midst of trying to win championships. They don't have time to be fooling around with mentoring. Entrenched HOF starters don't mentor young backups, but bringing in a guy like Grossman is not the same thing.

---------- Post added March-18th-2012 at 11:20 AM ----------

Name a backup that is better than him...AND knows the system.

This is a smart move by the front office. Obviously, Rex is not the future but as others have said, now that's one less person who needs to be taught the system, and he's a great locker room guy from all accounts. Rex could very well start the year if RG3 is not ready yet. We could do worse. Beck's days are probably numbered, I doubt he makes the team.

They're all better than him, IMO. I'd take Kyle Orton, David Carr, and Trent Edwards (although Kafka might actually be the #2, I guess) all over Rex Grossman, all things being equal.

See Post #37 and read the underlined part. Your thinking and assumptions are incorrect.

Quotes from the washington post... For the people who thought he would be a bad locker room influence or have sour grapes.....

“I’m a firm believer in seeing things through, and I wanted to be a part of this team in any way possible regardless of what my role is, and help it get back on track,”

“They’re definitely taking a quarterback with the second pick of the draft,” Grossman said. “It’ll probably be RGIII, unless for some unexpected reason the Colts take him. But whether it’s RGIII or Luck, either way, I know that quarterback is going to be the franchise quarterback at some point. Like I said, I just want to be a part of this team.
Whether it’s helping that guy get ready to play, or whether it’s playing until he is ready to take over, I just want to help out in whatever way it is
.”

“I need to and can get better with consistency,” Grossman said. “I can go out and play lights-out one week, and the next week, not do so well. The number-one thing is turnovers. I’ve got to do better with decision-making, and things like that, and I think I can.”

Please. What do you expect him to say to the media? Good Lord...

if matt hasselbeck becomes available i hope he is signed the same day and we cut rex and beck.

i don't want to see rex take another snap for this team. if he starts the season and we win a few games, old guys on this team are going to think this is their last shot and when he falters they'll start RGIII, but you'll hear guys like moss last year saying that grossman should get another shot.

I like Grossman as the backup. Good Move. I look at Manning to SF, Alex Smith's unhappiness, hmmmmmmmmmm. Anyone for signing Smith at QB (trading back with Cleveland) and picking up a couple stud Lineman? Just a thought...

I like Grossman as the backup. Good Move. I look at Manning to SF, Alex Smith's unhappiness, hmmmmmmmmmm. Anyone for signing Smith at QB (trading back with Cleveland) and picking up a couple stud Lineman? Just a thought...

are you serious? RG3 > Alex Smith lol

hate the move. rex might know the system, but do you really trust him to "mentor" a young quarterback like RG3? all football players want their own playing time and rex is young enough and has started enough in his career to legitimately believe he's got a chance to continue to do so for at least a few more seasons. i could see him doing everything in his power to keep RG3 holding a clipboard as long as he possibly can and/or ensuring that he doesn't do so well when he does play; including "tutoring" him with misinformation. hell,. if he hired jeff gillooly to take a pipe to RG3's knee, i would not be surprised.

Sure, Rex is going to help the new kid.............but, he is also going to try to win the starting job! Of couse RG3 will get on the field but these guys bust ALL THE TIME, Rex will be waiting for his chance, hopefully with more help around him.

Archived