Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If we get RG3, do you want him to start right away?

21MadFan

I would love for him to start on week one, so I suppose I "want" him to start week one. At the same time, I'd have no problem with him sitting the 1st 4, 6, or even 8 games as he got 100% ready. If the rumors we're pursuing Orton are true, I think we could sit him for up to half a season and then have him jump in.

I don't think RGIII needs a full year on the bench, he's too skilled for it. Honestly, he'll probably be ready to start week one, but holding him back for a couple weeks to watch opponents from the sidelines and get 100% ready would be great.

Yes, I want him to start from day 1, but only if Shanny and co. think he's ready. Wouldn't mind if he had to sit until week 6+ and watch Orton or someone.

No matter who we get or who starts, I imagine this offense being light years better than last year. Think about how bad our defense was as a unit and they focused on it last offseason and we see a dramatic improvement. Apply the same thing to the offense and I see a good team here.

So I was thinking with so many QB options out there this would be a different discussion. If we were to draft Robert Griffin would you want him to start right away or sit a year behind another QB?

From Day 1, you give Griffin III the keys to the Mercury Sable and tell him...."Hey kid, turn this thing into a Porsche!"

I can't assume that the Skins this year will be the same team as in 2011, only with RG3 behind center instead of Grossman...

So my answer is: if the Skins make some dramatic improvements along the O-Line and within the WR unit and RG3 is further behind than we had hoped, I'd want him to sit for awhile if whoever else we have at QB is performing noticeably better. If Grossman/Orton/Whoever is pulling an Alex Smith and not losing games while making just enough plays to help the team win, I have zero problem leaving them as starter and letting RG3 learn the playbook and nuances of the game before being named starter. I've been waiting something like 25 years for a franchise QB, I can wait a few more months.

However, if the Skins make those same dramatic improvements and RG3 is showing himself to be even just in the ball park as Grossman/Orton/Whoever, then name him the starter early in the preseason and give him as many reps with the starting team as possible.

Well thought out, but I disagree somewhat. I worry more about the new QB if we have not made major improvements on the OL. I watched Ramsey and Campbell and even Brunell hit so often that they changed as Quarterbacks. It made them all worse. Every QB gets hit. But when the pounding is constant, the QB changes his reads, his throwing motion, his footwork, and loses the patience that's needed to let plays develop. I'd hate to see that happen to RG III, or anyone but a Dallas QB. RG III still needs to learn touch on some of his throws. If he gets hit 9 or 10 times a game like Grossman did last year (sacks plus QB hits) then he's not going to learn to take speed off his fastball when needed. He's going to rely on his feet too much for the NFL and I think it's going to stunt his growth as an NFL QB. He's already had a torn ACL and a concussion in his college career. I'd hate to see him hurt here.

That's my chief worry. However, if Shanny thinks he's ready, and Grossman is the backup, then what choice do the Skins have? I can live with rookie mistakes. They are inevitable and a chance to learn. What I don't want is a career shortened by injuries or by a lack of protection.

We wouldn't know until we saw him in camp and preseason. To say he will or won't be ready is wrong because we don't have enough information. The, "If," questions and games are getting old but as Skins fans, thats all we really have.

You should change your "we"s to "I"s. :D

If we get RG3, I want him to start at least the last 8 games of the season. I don't care if he starts the first 8, or plays at all in them. I just want him to be given the reins completely for the second half of the season.

I think this is well said. In the long run he must be in games. I think a perfect situation would be to have Sexy start (and win) the first two - three games with RGIII getting some snaps here and there. At that point, Rex will have about 4 - 6 turn overs and we just begin the RGIII regime.

Initially I thought this question is a no brainer. Actually thinking about it for a second, u have to take into consideration that he likes to run and throwing him out there in week 1 may not be the best option for his health. Patience.

I'd only not want him starting if the QB ahead of him was Manning. (Who I don't particularly want, just saying.).

Shy of Peyton, if we somehow snag RGIII, or even better Luck, I'd want either man under center day one; learning and growing together with the rest of the young guys and doubtless new additions again this off-season on offense.

I get the sitting and learning approach, but you can't replicate or beat on field experience. And those two special guys are the only ones in this draft I'd be happy starting from the get-go.

Hail.

I would let Tannehill start day one too.

RG3 is not a true Day 1 starter. Luck is.
Not arguing, just curious: why isn't Griffin?

Is it the need to adjust to an NFL system? His perceived ability to make quick reads? Or something else?

(I thought the above were weaknesses in Newton's game, but he did well last season. :whoknows:)

Don't hand RG3 the job, but make it a competition in camp. If RG3 wins the camp competition he starts. I see him Rex and Orton competing, I've heard Clausen's name thrown around in there as well.

Actually, that'd make for a very interesting camp. Clausen flopped hard in CAR, but there have been turnaround stories before. If Orton and Clausen were to come here, and we got RGIII, I think it would be very interesting to see that competition for the opening day starter.

I still think RGIII would probably win even if he's not 100% ready to start, but Shanahan might sit him for a few weeks anyway just to work on a few minor things here and there.

He would need to start from the giddy up!

It would be different if we had a great QB for him to learn from for a year or 2. Well unless you consider Sexy Rexy a great QB :ols:

Just because rex doesn't perform the best on the field doesn't mean he isn't a good Qb to learn from. He knows the offense very well and could definetly help a young Qb. That being said I would still prefer to start the rook and let him learn from rex on the sidelines, meetings, and practice

Archived