Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If we get RG3, do you want him to start right away?

21MadFan

I have been spending time watching RG3's games on youtube and have just one concern which hopefully someone can shed some light on for me. RG3 seems to play a lot of shotgun in the games I have been watching how will this affect him learning the WCO and if it is a concern only then would I want him to sit for a little bit other than that start right away. I don't watch much college so if someone could shed some light on this for me I would very much appreciate it.

Alot of NFL offenses are now out of the shotgun. Tom Brady is hardly ever under center. Peyton and the Colts run alot of shotgun.

1.) Mike's not going to play a guy until he feels they're ready. That's going to frustrate the heck out of people, but it's just how Mike operates, and history shows that it usually works out for the best. Portis rushed for, like, 1508 yards and 15 touchdowns in his rookie season...but he only started in 12 games. He didn't start his first four games in the NFL. Brandon Marshall only started 1 game in his rookie season. Of course Jay Cutler sat behind Jake Plummer. The only guy I can remember starting right away is Eddie Royal, and that was because Brandon Marshall was suspended for the first game.

I know there's a lot of "throwing them to the wolves" sentiment in here, but honestly, how much do you think sitting is going to hurt? He's going to play. It's not like if Orton comes in and plays well then we're going to keep RGIII on the bench or something.

Mike will play his guys when it's ready. It's really not hard to figure out Shanahan when you think about it. He has the same sort of patterns over and over and over again in his career. He's not going to start any rookie before they're ready; doesn't matter if they get drafted first overall or if they're a seventh rounder. You start when you're ready, when you out practice the guy in front of you, and when you give the team the best chance to win.

RGIII will start when he's ready. That's going to make some people mad if we trade up for him, but we all know Mike doesn't have a **** to give about what anyone in the media or the fanbase thinks.

I agree about the Cam Newton effect in general but I would turn your statement around and say it puts more pressure on Griffin than Luck. There are a couple of main reasons. First, Luck is widely viewed as one of the best and most pro-ready prospects to come out of college in some time. He was pretty much the consensus #1 overall pick for 2 years in a row which is pretty crazy. So the pressure on Luck or the expectations for Luck to be able to step in immediately and at least have some success are already there and have been there for a while.

Second, Griffin is more like Newton as a prospect than Luck is. Newton and Griffin both rose up draft boards fast later on in their college careers (Newton quicker and later than Griffin, though). Both are perceived as "dual threat" QBs which is true but Griffin is more refined as a passer than Newton was coming out and didn't run as much. Both came from spread offenses that utilized snaps from the shotgun on almost every play and somewhat minimal reads (though half field reads aren't really uncommon in college football). Luck, on the other hand, is the "prototype" QB. Ran a pro-style system at Stanford, has very refined footwork and technique when dropping back from under center, has pretty much textbook mechanics, does full field reads, reads defenses pre-snap and either audibles or just calls his own plays at the LOS depending on what he sees from the defense (which is almost unheard of in college).

Luck's expectations are already there and have been for a while: day 1 starter and expected to be able to slip right in to the role. People watch guys like Newton and Griffin and the thing you hear most is "potential". Griffin does have tons of potential and in earlier years might be a guy who was picked relatively high and then let sit for a year or so. However, with the success of Newton I think that brings more pressure on teams to start guys immediately who they might, in the past, have viewed as needing a bit more work first and it puts more pressure on that QB to do well since Newton is being held up as "proof" by some that dual threat QBs from those types of systems can be immediately successful. I think that may very well be flawed reasoning as Newton is one QB and could be a complete outlier. I think Griffin has the tools and the drive to be an excellent QB but I also think that if we get him we should try to temper our expectations a bit and not look at Cam Newton as the measuring stick.

I don't agree. Cam put more pressure on Luck. Luck is being put up there with Peyton and Elway. Peyton set the record for passing yards. Luck is getting choosen over Peyton and Cam just broke Peyton's record. What you think Luck is expected to do? He has more expectation than any QB coming out ever. I sorry but Cam just added a like more pressure to him. Now Luck is going to be expected to put up the same numbers if not more than what Cam did. No way around it.

Pardon my while I pick the tip of your boot out of my ass!:ols: (You know when I said "end of thread" I was just messing around don't you? I knew the thread wouldn't close with my "words of wisdom." :pfft:

The point was Sam was a #1 pick & thrown to the wolves when sitting him until they had an OL that could actually protect him was the smart play. Just because you're a top pick doesn't make you a Day 1 starter.

The point was Sam was a #1 pick & thrown to the wolves when sitting him until they had an OL that could actually protect him was the smart play. Just because you're a top pick doesn't make you a Day 1 starter.

I knew what your point was. First, we'd have to actually draft the guy. Second, it would all depend on how he progresses in training camp and preseason. He'd still be better than anything we'd have on the roster day 1, with the exception of a 100% healthy Manning.

MS will want RGIII to earn the spot, just like any other rookie or new player that he brings on.

That said,.. I would think it would be likely that if he wasn't a day 1 starter.. RGIII would be starting by week 4 or so.

MS doesn't have enough time left in his contract to just let RGIII sit around with a clip board for very long.

If you are MS.. I think you do whatever you can for the OL in FA and try to grab a decent WR in FA. Then you go get RGIII and use whatever is left in the draft on even more OL and WR.

let the defense roll on it's own for a year and hit the go button.

I don't agree. Cam put more pressure on Luck. Luck is being put up there with Peyton and Elway. Peyton set the record for passing yards. Luck is getting choosen over Peyton and Cam just broke Peyton's record. What you think Luck is expected to do? He has more expectation than any QB coming out ever. I sorry but Cam just added a like more pressure to him. Now Luck is going to be expected to put up the same numbers if not more than what Cam did. No way around it.

My point was that in years past a "dual threat" QB like Griffin who came from a spread, semi-option college offense would likely get much less flak for taking some time to adjust to the pro game than he will now; I certainly thought Newton was going to take much longer to develop than he did. If Griffin goes in the top 2 or 3 as is likely, he will be expected to be able to start right away and be successful by many people because, hey, look at Cam Newton...he did it and was extremely successful as a rookie. The (potentially inflated) expectations for another QB like Newton (even though they are certainly different prospects in some ways) could really be huge. The thing with Luck is that he has had that pressure and those expectations about starting from day 1 and being immediately successful for 2 years now. It isn't anything new to him or to anyone else.

Hell, even Griffin himself talked about it in an interview someone posted the link to in here. About how Cam Newton changed the way people are going to look at dual threat QBs and them being successful early on. I just hope that if we get him the expectations for his rookie season aren't through the roof because I think it is much more likely that he will take some time to adjust and will perhaps struggle a bit at first than it is that he will have a year like Newton, and that has nothing to do with Griffin himself; I just think of Newton as much more of an outlier than the norm.

Assuming that we trade up to #2 and draft RGIII then he will start right away. That is why we had made the move. You don't do all that to sit him behind a guy like Rex or even Beck. That would ruin RGIII because Rex takes too many risks and Beck is just god awful. If they keep Beck because he is under contract then they are making a mistake. He can't move the offense unlike Grossman. But I will be surprised if the Redskins move up to take RGIII at #2. Shanahan is a guy that wants a veteran and have a guy to groom for a year or two. So don't be surprised if Manning is a Redskin with Tannehill or someone like him as the guy they groom. Just a hunch.

Dumb posts followed by "End of thread" or "/thread" always make me laugh

Hey, new guy (unless you're a dupe acct), since you open the door here in tone, allow me to enter. :)

This is one of more than a few times I read a post that was either fairly laughable itself, and more to the point, more dickish than the context required and look and see it's one of yours. Know that a preponderance of one, and certainly both, will not bode well for your posting privileges. So be advised. You don't need to ask for more specifics beyond what I said here (though its always good to thoroughly familiarize yourself with the rules). I'm not offering any tutorial, just giving you a heads-up and suggesting you check yourself a bit. I also note a post from another member right after yours that offers an opinion you agree with, and it has "end thread" in it, but you compliment the guy. Do yourself a favor---don't respond to this by stating "yeah, but I didn't think that post was dumb." Probably best to just read this and consider the feedback. :)

Assuming that we trade up to #2 and draft RGIII then he will start right away. That is why we had made the move. You don't do all that to sit him behind a guy like Rex or even Beck. That would ruin RGIII because Rex takes too many risks and Beck is just god awful. If they keep Beck because he is under contract then they are making a mistake. He can't move the offense unlike Grossman. But I will be surprised if the Redskins move up to take RGIII at #2. Shanahan is a guy that wants a veteran and have a guy to groom for a year or two. So don't be surprised if Manning is a Redskin with Tannehill or someone like him as the guy they groom. Just a hunch.

...You have no idea how Mike works, do you?

Dumb posts followed by "End of thread" or "/thread" always make me laugh

For the record there is no general consensus that even a #1 must play immediately.

The "dumb" post was just kind of a joke. TK and I have already had a discussion about it. We all make dumb posts and you are not immune to them.

Archived