Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Royallypwned 2012 Major League Baseball Thread (Giants WS Champs)

MattFancy

So the Tigers are going to start the season off with a rather odd lineup. They have Delmon Young, Prince Fielder and Migeul Cabrera all in the lineup, yet the designated hitter is .... Ryan Raburn

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/05/tigers-odd-defensive-alignment-includes-ryan-raburn-at-designated-hitter/

Raburn would be a better third baseman than Miggy, a better first baseman than Prince, and a better outfielder than Young. But he's the DH.

And, in case anyone was wondering why wins and losses are a stupid way to judge pitchers, today's Red Sox/Tigers game highlights it in glaring fashion:

Pitcher 1: 8 IP, 0 R, 2H

Pitcher 2: 7 IP, 1 R, 6H

Pitcher 3: 1 IP, 2 R, 3H

Pitcher #1 (Verlander) got a no-decision but was clearly the best pitcher in the game. Pitcher #2 (Lester) was outstanding but gets a LOSS. Pitcher #3 (Valverde) was terrible but gets a WIN. And that, folks, is why wins & losses are a stupid measure.

This game also highlights managers who manage to a statistic. Verlander had a 2-hit shutout going and had thrown only 105 pitches. Was there any reason whatsoever to take him out other than using a "closer" to get a "save"? No. And it very nearly cost Detroit the game.

And, in case anyone was wondering why wins and losses are a stupid way to judge pitchers, today's Red Sox/Tigers game highlights it in glaring fashion:

Pitcher 1: 8 IP, 0 R, 2H

Pitcher 2: 7 IP, 1 R, 6H

Pitcher 3: 1 IP, 2 R, 3H

Pitcher #1 (Verlander) got a no-decision but was clearly the best pitcher in the game. Pitcher #2 (Lester) was outstanding but gets a LOSS. Pitcher #3 (Valverde) was terrible but gets a WIN. And that, folks, is why wins & losses are a stupid measure.

This game also highlights managers who manage to a statistic. Verlander had a 2-hit shutout going and had thrown only 105 pitches. Was there any reason whatsoever to take him out other than using a "closer" to get a "save"? No. And it very nearly cost Detroit the game.

Melancon got the loss

Jim Leyland usually has a pretty long leash with Verlander, but im thinking he took him out because it's the beginning of the season and the spring training pitch counts arent usually very high yet.

my thinking was that i would have kept him in, because verlander throws more pitches per outing than almost any other pitcher and somehow never seems to fatigue. not only that, he worked over the sox in the 7th and 8th innings and was showing no signs of slowing down.

verlander had the opposing hitters baffled all day, and i doubt that any closing pitcher is going to be more effective for 3 outs, hence why i would have left him in.

Jim Leyland usually has a pretty long leash with Verlander, but im thinking he took him out because it's the beginning of the season and the spring training pitch counts arent usually very high yet.

my thinking was that i would have kept him in, because verlander throws more pitches per outing than almost any other pitcher and somehow never seems to fatigue. not only that, he worked over the sox in the 7th and 8th innings and was showing no signs of slowing down.

verlander had the opposing hitters baffled all day, and i doubt that any closing pitcher is going to be more effective for 3 outs, hence why i would have left him in.

I believe Verlander threw something like 4,000+ pitches last season and the playoffs.

I'm sure Leyland didn't want to overuse him from the start. Plus, Valverde has been great for the Tigers. So its not like he was bringing in some scrub. He was 52 for 52 last year including the playoffs.

Archived