Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Royallypwned 2012 Major League Baseball Thread (Giants WS Champs)

MattFancy

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/04/dining/a-baseball-writer-fills-notebook-with-dining-tips.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

AFTER covering baseball for six years, after visiting every major-league outpost in the sport’s vast empire, I’ve learned a few things.

I know where to find marvelous Mexican food in Milwaukee, super sushi in Toronto and juicy bison burgers in Baltimore. This did not happen by accident. Unearthing a destination’s culinary charms became a challenge, if not a mission, and certainly a point of pride.

The rhythms of a baseball season, particularly its preponderance of night games, meant that many meals — more than I’d care to count — were scarfed down in a rush, at airports and in press boxes. Lunch, then, became something to savor, a time to decompress and relax, and for that hour or so I was determined to eat something tasty, and to take whatever time was needed to hunt down that one special source.

I know this doesn’t square with the popular image of the sports reporter: an Oscar Madison type who subsists on hot dogs and popcorn. And I wasn’t always a foodie, having grown up in a Philadelphia suburb where diversifying your palate meant taking out Chinese food instead of Italian. My wife still credits herself with introducing me to sushi and feta cheese.

Reds were kind of stuck with Votto. If they gave him that big extension, people are gonna say, "How could you give him that much money?" If they let him go, people are gonna say, "How could you let the face of your franchise go?" Had to pay him big or lose the face of their franchise.

that stadium is sick. you like retro, i like modern. Marlins stadium does that

What's with the lime green walls? Or that...thing in the outfield? I get that they would benefit from a roofed stadium being in south Florida so I understand the modern approach. It's just fugly.

I'm so glad my O's play in a baseball stadium and not an airport hanger.

Yeah not impressed with the Marlins Park. OPACY is still one of the best.

I finally made a trip to Fenway over the weekend and took a tour. Really cool to be there, so much history. Maybe one day OPACY will be the same.

Ok all things gawdy about the Marlins new crib aside...who the heck set the schedule so that the Marlins woukd have to open in their brand new home against the reigning WS Champs?! Seriously, give the Marlins a break already, let them have something to cheer about rather than setting them up so that the innaugural game in their new park would be a big fat L. Sure they were probably going to lose no matter who they faced but IMO at least make it a game!

.....give the Marlins a break already, let them have something to cheer about rather than setting them up so that the innaugural game in their new park would be a big fat L.

Washington tied for first.....up half a game.....**** the fish.

boosh.gif

Archived