Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

President Barack Obama/Vice-President Joe Biden Re-elected to 2nd Term Thread

@DCGoldPants

Yeah, he's a funny guy, not Obama, Stewart. However, the current plan to raise taxes on only 250K Million and Billionaires would raise something in the are of 85 Billion? We spend that in less then 2 weeks in this country. Yeah, still don't see it Larry. Once that increase is passed and the 85 Billion is raised and subsequently spent in like 8 or 10 days, what's the rest? Serious question. I don't really understand how that's going to solve the problem.

I'm not sure if your figures are accurate, but I do know this: No one fix is going to solve the problem. The deficit is a spending problem, its also a revenue problem, its also a demographic problem and its also an economic recession problem, all in one.

That doesn't mean that no steps at all can be taken if they don't completely solve the problem alone.

Don't forget that just 3 years ago we acknowledged that the hundreds of billions we were spent in Iraq/Afghanistan is something that needed to be paid for. It wasn't going to pay for itself or by any other country. So, we added what seemed like 6-7 years of debt with basically one job changing hands.

Yeah, he's a funny guy, not Obama, Stewart. However, the current plan to raise taxes on only 250K Million and Billionaires would raise something in the are of 85 Billion? We spend that in less then 2 weeks in this country. Yeah, still don't see it Larry. Once that increase is passed and the 85 Billion is raised and subsequently spent in like 8 or 10 days, what's the rest? Serious question. I don't really understand how that's going to solve the problem.

I just heard a Republican (Boehner, I think), claim Obama's health care would cost 650 billion over the next ten years. 85 billion a year would pay for that with 200 billion to spare.

i

Yep. You're right.

All deficit reduction proposals that do not completely, instantly, balance the federal budget, in fact, which do not completely eliminate the federal debt, are off the table and cannot be allowed to pass.

Now, what do you do?

top tweet

Demetrius Minor @dminor85

#WhatObamaTaughtMe is that the unborn is not considered a child but a 26 year old is

14 Jul 12

That guy's twitter feed is hilarious. I looked at it 5 minutes trying to figure out if he's parodying someone or just nuts. He's got like 32,000+ tweets and 98% of them are about how he hates Obama. :)

That guy's twitter feed is hilarious. I looked at it 5 minutes trying to figure out if he's parodying someone or just nuts. He's got like 32,000+ tweets and 98% of them are about how he hates Obama. :)

lol, that's funny.

Demetrius Minor ‏@dminor85

#WhatObamaTaughtMe‬ is that America is no longer a Christian nation, unless Michelle is campaigning at black churches

Next time liberals tells you Voter ID laws disenfranchises blacks, inform them of the 14.4% unemployment rate among blacks
#WhatObamaTaughtMe‬ that 26 year olds are children, if they survive infanticide
#WhatObamaTaughtMe‬ is that Mitt needs to be more honest about Bain Capital than Eric Holder is about Fast and Furious

http://www.realclearmarkets.com/articles/2012/02/20/cleantech_crony_capitalists_bring_shame_to_my_industry_99523.html

A new breed of venture capitalist has blossomed during the Obama administration, like mushrooms after a rainstorm. I call them venture porkulists.

The scale at which these people have feasted on your money as they hosed it down rat holes like Solyndra, Beacon Power, Ener1, and others is unprecedented. The leverage they've obtained through political connections - risking pennies against your tax dollars - to ramp up manufacturing of immature and economically unsustainable technologies boggles the mind.

First, if we're going to make a mad rush into new technologies, can we at least choose some that are sustainable? Electric cars, batteries, windmills, biofuels, solar - none of these come close to making economic sense on the scale at which they are being pursued. Many, like ethanol, don't even make sense for reducing carbon emissions. I guess that's what happens when your investment strategy is driven by pork and panic.

Second, what if the computer models are wrong? What if instead of catastrophic, hockey stick-shaped, irreversible, 20-foot-ocean-rise global warming we get the same mild temperature increases we've experienced over the last century? At least until a decade ago, when satellite data show that the warming stopped, a fact that computer models predicting catastrophe still cannot explain.

As class warriors paint a bull's-eye on venture capitalists looking to redistribute our returns, the shady dealings of venture porkulists is not helping. It would be nice, guys, if you could stay out of the headlines for a while. As Obama "doubles down" on the Niagara of money he is piping our way, perhaps a few of you can even stand up and say, "No thanks, I think I've had enough."

I agree. The plan of attack I have seen most recently is to again charge the hill on raising taxes for those who make over 250K (Not 1 Million). Obviously, this is not a solution. That solves nothing at all really if the reported numbers associated with that are accurate.

I think it would help the Presidents position for re-election emphatically.

I agree with this. Ending the bush tax cuts only for people making 250K or more will only lower the defecit by something like 7%. It's a drop in the bucket. What's also a drop in the bucket are the cuts the republicans are saying they want to make.

It appears to me that the only way we could really get out of debt and rebuild the economy would be to do 2 things:

1. End all of the Bush tax cuts.

2. Stop fighting wars in places like Aphganistan and Iraq.

The ending of the tax cuts would have to be gradual, and would be painful for a lot of people at first, but it would create the revenue needed to invest in our infrastructure in areas like energy technology, education, roads, ect.

I believe that Obama's true intention is to end all of the Bush tax cuts, and invest in our infrastructure. I also think he knows it would be political suicide to campaign on this point.

http://news.investors.com/article/618118/201207140908/rob-portman-weekly-remarks-jobs-debt-spending.htm

This week, 13 million Americans won’t go to work, not because they’re on vacation, but because they can’t find jobs.

As a candidate, Barack Obama promised to help these Americans find work.

And exactly three years ago today, he pledged ‘To get this economy back on its feet.’ He said about the economy, ‘Give it to me.’

Well, America did give it to him. We gave him the ability to turn things around. And three years later, the results are in:

Unemployment is over 8 percent for the longest period since the Great Depression. And it’s actually higher than that because so many Americans are so discouraged—they’ve stopped looking for work.

Families are earning less and their homes are worth less.

We recently learned that last month, American manufacturing—once a reliable source of good-paying jobs—declined for the first time in three years.

This year, more than a million young Americans graduated from college. And here’s the stark reality: half of them can’t find a full-time job to match their degrees. Half.

It didn’t have to be this way. ...more@link

http://news.investors.com/article/618118/201207140908/rob-portman-weekly-remarks-jobs-debt-spending.htm

This week, 13 million Americans won’t go to work, not because they’re on vacation, but because they can’t find jobs.

As a candidate, Barack Obama promised to help these Americans find work.

And exactly three years ago today, he pledged ‘To get this economy back on its feet.’ He said about the economy, ‘Give it to me.’

Well, America did give it to him. We gave him the ability to turn things around. And three years later, the results are in:

Unemployment is over 8 percent for the longest period since the Great Depression. And it’s actually higher than that because so many Americans are so discouraged—they’ve stopped looking for work.

Families are earning less and their homes are worth less.

We recently learned that last month, American manufacturing—once a reliable source of good-paying jobs—declined for the first time in three years.

This year, more than a million young Americans graduated from college. And here’s the stark reality: half of them can’t find a full-time job to match their degrees. Half.

It didn’t have to be this way. ...more@link

Actually, we were going broke under Bush. We're just not recovering as fast as we would like under Obama.

Senator Portman offers no suggestions on how he would fix the problem, he only criticizes Obama for not fixing it. This is very typical of the current Republican regime because they don't have any suggestions other that to extend and expand the policies of Bush that got us into this mess. The 2000s proved 1 thing, the tax cuts didn't work.

actually he did offer suggestions

but you are correct we were going broke under Bush....just not at this alarming pace which shows no real change

increasing entitlements and holding back domestic expansion is a road to hell Cali is well down....one increasing taxes won't fix

the Trillions are going by fast ain't they

Actually, we were going broke under Bush. We're just not recovering as fast as we would like under Obama.

Senator Portman offers no suggestions on how he would fix the problem, he only criticizes Obama for not fixing it. This is very typical of the current Republican regime because they don't have any suggestions other that to extend and expand the policies of Bush that got us into this mess. The 2000s proved 1 thing, the tax cuts didn't work.

In all seriousness, I would love to see an intelligent thread on how tax policies are the driving force behind the US economy.

The Bush tax cuts aren't what "got us into this mess". The mess is a lot more complicated....like the wars...the banking policies which drove housing prices through the roof...9/11.

Clinton and Reagan's tax policies didn't drive economic growth. It was job creation. Silly me.

In all seriousness, I would love to see an intelligent thread on how tax policies are the driving force behind the US economy.

The Bush tax cuts aren't what "got us into this mess". The mess is a lot more complicated....like the wars...the banking policies which drove housing prices through the roof...9/11.

Clinton and Reagan's tax policies didn't drive economic growth. It was job creation. Silly me.

He didn't say that tax cuts were the only reason that got us into this mess.

One of the biggest stories related to the economy and people without jobs is that there are currently 4 million jobs open/posted currently. I don't know if many aren't filled cause of a lack of qualifications but there should be some focus on how to get Americans trained up for these jobs.

Chipwhich, please note that I said Bush's policies got us into this mess, not the Bush tax cuts. By policies I was referring to the tax cuts as well as the wars, bank deregulation, and other things, all of which the current Republicans seem to want to continue.

I am not claiming that tax policy is the driving force behind our economy, however I believe that our rising debt will eventually drown us, and I believe the tax cuts are a big part of why we're in this debt.

He didn't say that tax cuts were the only reason that got us into this mess.

There is a continuous boast on here about tax policies being the reason the economy is bad. It's not the reason ;)

One of the biggest stories related to the economy and people without jobs is that there are currently 4 million jobs open/posted currently. I don't know if many aren't filled cause of a lack of qualifications but there should be some focus on how to get Americans trained up for these jobs.

Don't know the reason, but whatever it is it's not working ;)

Blaming it on the tax policies is fun though.

---------- Post added July-15th-2012 at 11:35 PM ----------

Chipwhich, please note that I said Bush's policies got us into this mess, not the Bush tax cuts. By policies I was referring to the tax cuts as well as the wars, bank deregulation, and other things, all of which the current Republicans seem to want to continue.

I am not claiming that tax policy is the driving force behind our economy, however I believe that our rising debt will eventually drown us, and I believe the tax cuts are a big part of why we're in this debt.

Well he did fight multiple wars....

I don't disagree about the debt...but we need to find a way to boost the economy...the tax policy argument is a band aid.

actually he did offer suggestions

but you are correct we were going broke under Bush....just not at this alarming pace which shows no real change

increasing entitlements and holding back domestic expansion is a road to hell Cali is well down....one increasing taxes won't fix

the Trillions are going by fast ain't they

If he offered suggestions, he didn't in that piece you posted. And we are not going broke faster now then we were at the end of Bush's second term, when the economy was in freefall. We are still adding jobs, just not near as fast as we would like.

---------- Post added July-16th-2012 at 03:39 AM ----------

There is a continuous boast on here about tax policies being the reason the economy is bad. It's not the reason ;)

Don't know the reason, but whatever it is it's not working ;)

Blaming it on the tax policies is fun though.

---------- Post added July-15th-2012 at 11:35 PM ----------

Well he did fight multiple wars....

I don't disagree about the debt...but we need to find a way to boost the economy...the tax policy argument is a band aid.

It may be a continous boast on here, but it wasn't what I said. Agreed? Also, weren't the Bush tax cuts actually supposed to be the band aid? The were originally supposed to be temporary after all weren't they?

Who blames the bad economy on tax policies? I haven't seen anyone do that. I've seen people point out that tax cuts have been part of the reason the debt has gone up and that the booming economy of the 90's demonstrates that having slightly higher taxes won't damage the economy and kill jobs.

I'm curious how things would be if Obama could actually get one of many proposed jobs bills passed. Every single thing he sends gets blocked by Republicans, no matter what. It is automatic at this point. They block everything pertaining to attempts at job growth and then turn around and whine or give faux outrage about how he hasn't done anything to help the unemployment situation. It would be comical if it weren't such a serious situation for many people and families. Their stance seems to be "As long as you try to pass a jobs bill that doesn't 100% bend to our ideology, and even in cases where it does but you get credit for it, we will block it. WHY CAN'T YOU CREATE JOBS, MR PRESIDENT?!?" and then practice their serious faces in the mirror for a long time to make sure they don't bust out laughing whilst complaining to the media about Obama not doing anything.

It may be a continous boast on here, but it wasn't what I said. Agreed? Also, weren't the Bush tax cuts actually supposed to be the band aid? The were originally supposed to be temporary after all weren't they?

I'll agree if you agree you aren't suggesting the problem is tax cuts.

Not sure if they were supposed to be temporary, I am sure GW thought it was the right thing. At the end of the day we have to have economic growth in an industry to produce revenue. Tax increases in a down economy aren't good. Tax hikes in a booming economy work well. Agree?

---------- Post added July-15th-2012 at 11:49 PM ----------

Who blames the bad economy on tax policies? I haven't seen anyone do that. I've seen people point out that tax cuts have been part of the reason the debt has gone up and that the booming economy of the 90's demonstrates that having slightly higher taxes won't damage the economy and kill jobs.

In the .com boom tax hikes didn't damage anything. People became millionaires in that period, made lots of money. We aren't in an economic boom. So you are suggesting raising taxes won't damage the economy?

I agree. They were talking about on CNN today how people do not spend the money they save from the tax breaks, they use it to pay down debt.

---------- Post added July-16th-2012 at 03:57 AM ----------

I'll agree if you agree you aren't suggesting the problem is tax cuts.

Not sure if they were supposed to be temporary, I am sure GW thought it was the right thing. At the end of the day we have to have economic growth in an industry to produce revenue. Tax increases in a down economy aren't good. Tax hikes in a booming economy work well. Agree?

---------- Post added July-15th-2012 at 11:49 PM ----------

In the .com boom tax hikes didn't damage anything. People became millionaires in that period, made lots of money. We aren't in an economic boom. So you are suggesting raising taxes won't damage the economy?

As i said, the tax cuts are only part of the problem, and yes the Bush tax cuts were supposed to be temporary. Most of them were originally scheduled to expire in 2010.

I agree. They were talking about on CNN today how people do not spend the money they save from the tax breaks, they use it to pay down debt.

As i said, the tax cuts are only part of the problem, and yes the Bush tax cuts were supposed to be temporary. Most of them were originally scheduled to expire in 2010.

So CNN said it so it's the truth ;)

What percentage of Americans do you think have any clue how much the Bush tax cuts save them in their wallets. I don't want to be smug....honestly.

Americans aren't segregating their "tax cuts" into piles of envelopes for expenses, they are trying to get by. That concept is ludicrous.

Americans are trying to pay their bills with what they get in their paycheck and tax returns. They aren't saying, wait this is tax cut money, lets use it to pay down a credit card.

I'm curious how things would be if Obama could actually get one of many proposed jobs bills passed. Every single thing he sends gets blocked by Republicans, no matter what. It is automatic at this point. They block everything pertaining to attempts at job growth and then turn around and whine or give faux outrage about how he hasn't done anything to help the unemployment situation. It would be comical if it weren't such a serious situation for many people and families. Their stance seems to be "As long as you try to pass a jobs bill that doesn't 100% bend to our ideology, and even in cases where it does but you get credit for it, we will block it. WHY CAN'T YOU CREATE JOBS, MR PRESIDENT?!?" and then practice their serious faces in the mirror for a long time to make sure they don't bust out laughing whilst complaining to the media about Obama not doing anything.

I get so tired of the excuse' it is someone elses fault'....It is called leadership,and if you can't do it you are toast.....and deservedly so

in a perfect world has never existed,nor a perfect people

Every single thing was blocked? If only the United States was that lucky.

Archived