Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Odds to wn 2013 Super Bowl! Wow!

PhiAlpha

Houston at 12:1 is a great play in my mind. They were just decimated by injuries this past season but will be back at full strength and they have perhaps the best defense in the league after SF. I think grading us out at 125:1 is completely where we should be given we have no QB and not many playmakers.

Funny how all of these are different. On 92.7 yesterday (John Thompson show), they (Chuck Sap) was saying we were 62-1. And, I guess he knows the guy real well that does this stuff for one of the Vegas companies, and had asked him what if we picked up P Manning, and it jumped us up to 22-1...

Either way, doesn't hurt to put 5 dollars down on a handful of teams, and if one of them hit, ya win a few bucks.

It would be great if you could trade bets like stocks. At 125-1 you lay down a bet on the Redskins with the hope that the team signs Peyton Manning or drafts RGIII. Then when that happens and the odds go to 75-1, 50-1, or whatever (Rams are currently 50-1), you sell the rights to the bet to someone else and double your money...or better.
that's all good...you'd be better off booking his bet

18-1 on the lions isn't bad at all. Would probably be higher if it wasn't for the division. Lions will get some guys that didn't even get to play this year like Mikell Leshore which they spent a high second round pick on who tore his acl. They will get more weapons back and with another full draft and some free agency I really think they could make a push next year.

After 3 drafts if Shanallen doesn't at least post a winning record and be in the hunt for a wildcard spot then we are not heading in the right direction.

That's only if he has a veteran QB. If he has a rookie QB- RG3 or someelse; he will get a pass for 2012 as everyone will expect the young QB to have his growing pains. 2013 is when the heat will be on Shanny to produce.

If Shanny decides to go with a veteran, either Rex again then a winning season and being in the wild card hunt is must. If it's Manning, then playoffs will be expected.

Twenty years since we've done it, so I don't have a problem with the odds. We're going in the right direction, but we're barely on the cusp of being a solid team; let alone a Super Bowl contender.

Wow. Someone with a common sense point of view one this board. So refreshing.

Brutal schedule, tough division, no QB, lots of holes......seems 125-1 is about right
I second this -- the Skins are in the division with the defending Super Bowl champions, the "Dream Team," and a potentially dangerous Dallas team. Then there's the 4 games against the AFC North -- another tough division. Then there's the matter that this is a 5-11 team, still in rebuild mode, with QB issues, troubles/question-marks with the O-line, a recieving corps in transition, question-marks at safety, and mediocre special teams. Maybe the odds will improve for the Skins after the off-season?

I happen to think the Skins are better than the record, but I think the odds-makers were being mindful of the schedule, and the fact that the Skins probably could only slip into the playofffs as the 6-seed wildcard, at best. A six-seed is a long shot to go all the way, so maybe 125-1 does seem about right. I note that other 'weaker' teams that received better odds than the Skins-- but that was they have a weaker schedule.

Pretty smart odds really. It doesn't mean we're the second worst team in the league.

Attractive odds to entice more bets. Let's face it, it's not going to come in with our QB situation as it is.

Exactly. I am enticed to put some money down and that's what they want. One of the most popular franchises in the world, with a terrible shot of winning, not 125-1, but very low chance, so make it that low to make some of their fans want to make a stupid bet. If we get Manning I bet this shoots up to about 20-1. Any way to place a bet online?

That's only if he has a veteran QB. If he has a rookie QB- RG3 or someelse; he will get a pass for 2012 as everyone will expect the young QB to have his growing pains. 2013 is when the heat will be on Shanny to produce.

If Shanny decides to go with a veteran, either Rex again then a winning season and being in the wild card hunt is must. If it's Manning, then playoffs will be expected.

I disagree. If we trade away picks to move up for RG3 or draft another QB somewhere in the first round then Shanahan must feel he is his guy. Being a supposed QB Guru he should have him playing at least as good as Andy Dalton wouldn't you think?

The ONLY way he gets a pass IMO is if he signs a veteran QB AND drafts a QB in the 1st or 2nd round AND posts at least an 8-8 season with the rookie playing well at the end of the year..

We beat the Packers last year and they went on to win the Super Bowl. Yet we finished 5-11 this year. So what's your point? Beating the Giants twice doesn't mean a damn thing.

BUT!!!! We swept the Giants, Cardinals, Seahawks, and Rams...

Sweeping 4 teams is an accomplishment... or something...

The Colts are 25-1? Did they watch that team at all this season?

vegas is expecting luck to be picked and for johnny q. public to think he'll be the messiah..

these prop bets usually have pretty low max bets so it's unlikely anyone in vegas would get hurt at all with a bad number here... unlike actual game bets...

The only way for the Redskins to beat those 125-1 odds is to get better on offense. We have excellent rushers with Royster and Helu. Gaffney, Hankerson, F. Davis, and Moss highlight a decent receiving corps. But the Redskins need another receiver. The offensive line is average right now but they played well down the stretch. The defense has the potential to be a top ten defense and was actually ranked 10th by week 15 of last season but slipped to 13 when the season was over. The Redskins need only more playmakers on offense, mainly at quarterback. If we can add Peyton Manning or RG3 and maybe add a receiver or two in free agency, then the Redskins can be a lot better offensively than what we were. Being ranked 16th in total offense is average, ranked right in the middle of the NFL. If the Redskins can upgrade the quarterback position, get a few more playmakers on offense in addition to who we already have, then we can be a top 10 NFL offense and greatly improve on last year's measly 5-11 record.

The point that everyone is missing is that the Redskins are almost ALWAYS a good bet in Vegas these days. Why? Look at it from the Moneyball-style perspective. The odds are determined by public opinion: if a lot of bettors are betting on the Redskins, the team's odds go down. If no one is betting on the Redskins, the line shifts, to entice action on them.

The Washington DC area is the most educated metro area in the U.S. In short, the average Redskins fan is smart, and puts his/her money in wiser investments than the sports book in Vegas. As a former governor of Nevada once famously said, "gambling is a tax on the stupid." Compare and contrast with, say, Chargers fans: they're more likely to bet than Redskins fans and live close to Vegas, so they're disproportionately represented at the sports book. Basically, a lot more people in Vegas enjoy betting on teams like the Chargers than they do on the Redskins.

Now, assuming what I've written above is true and could be quantified somehow, does it make THAT much of a difference? Probably not, but I'd submit that it has enough of an influence, on the margin, to shift the line a little bit.

So, be glad you root for a team that has an intelligent fan base and that doesn't gamble all that much. The end result is that as long as the Redskins stay under the national/mainstream radar, you can find good odds like this.

Archived