Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you actually do at work?

renaissance

I spend my day checking out equipment on the rig, washing the rig, cleaning the station, going on calls for service, training, and working out....then at 4:30 in the afternoon we are allowed down time to watch TV or do some personal business like check the internet, email, etc. I am a fireman BTW. I dont do the 9-5 thing I work for 24 hours at a time, I am at a busy company so I only typically get about 2 or 3 hours of sleep in that 24 hours.

Its a hard job, but it is with out a doubt the BEST job out there.

Condom tester.

Wishful thinking. I do FOIA work for an enforcement based Federal agency, Customs and Border Protection. Basically handle two kinds of FOIA requests. The first is personal requests from Joe Citizen which can be as innocent as needing a record of their travel in and out of the country to apply for citizenship, or it can be much more interesting if they want to know why they keep being stopped/detained at the border. I can't say too much about them, but those second types of requests can be really interesting.

The other kind of work is non-personal; requests that come from the media or other major sources, asking for whatever. Could be statistics related, technique and training related, all manner of things.

Regardless of what it is, my job is processing these requests. I evaluate them, do a bunch of research in our databases, pull the information and redact it before sending it out. You ever see those documents stamped "de-classified, etc., etc." that have a few sentences and a ton of other stuff blacked out? Well, I'm that guy who's evaluating everything for law enforcement sensitivity/national security purposes and blacking the stuff out. Some days it's boring, but it can be a very interesting job as long as you love to read and analyze intelligence information. It's not as cool as the stuff equivalent folks in the CIA or FBI probably get to see, but it still has it's moments, and I love the work.

The reason I'm on ES so much is that database queries take awhile, so while my computer is running a search on someone, I'm on here arguing with folks waiting for it to finish.

When I'm at home in Maryland, I am the Executive Officer for a small shore-based command in Baltimore. My job is primarily administrative in nature and fairly mundane, but it leaves alot of time for physical fitness, grad school, family time Redskins blogging, and Orioles basesball:) . At times, I feel like a cat herder.

While I'm deployed, I liken my job to that of a glorified babysitter. My organization is responsible to the "care and feeding" of the GWOT detainees (read: suspected and some convicted terrorists).

I'm a substitute teacher, so I basically babysit all day. I read books while making sure a bunch of teenagers don't hurt themselves/each other or cause any damage to the classroom.

Hats off to you, Missu28 and any other teachers out there. My mother-in-law has taught for 30 years and get to hear stories of the little ****s in her class.

BTW i'm active duty military and my day is usually supervising the younglings and computer work.

Right now I'm involved in a company wide project we're calling "Business Transformation". It's a 3 year project, and we're one year into it. My part is application security design. I'm working with a small team who interact with representatives from all areas of the company (we're a fairly large company, 7000+ employees in 17 states.), deciding who does what, who gets to see what and how can we make sure that UserA in procurement can do their job but not find a way to do someone else's job. It's fast paced, dynamic and a constant challenge.

Operate Forklift, Operate Loader, Customer Service, Inventory, Stocking, Maintain Equipment, Safety Meeting, Oil Changes, Flat Repairs, Mounting Tires, Sweeping, Mopping, Inspecting, Trash, Checking out customers,

I could go on but its so boring. When I list it out makes me realize Im defenitly not a dead beat.

I go school but the days I do work I cut lawns. It's not to bad a little taxing buts it's mostly because you are constantly walking for 8 hours. I think it's more boredom more than anything. Pretty mundane but okay pay. The customers can be nice or jerks. Some of them except us to clean up their dogs ****s. I say **** that. They get mad, they try to make us clean it. We say no. They start picking up after their dogs. When working I mostly day dream.

As for the job itself it's basically repeats itself. Cut lawn, do the edges, rake the leaves. Just repeat, occasionally trim bushes. It's simple really.

Per the dog ****: It would seem to me that if they wanted you to clean up after their dogs then that would be included in the contract they signed. If it isn't, I'd tell them no, and if they didn't like it then tell them to find another lawn care service. Seems pretty simple.

Btw, who rakes leaves? Surely you guys have blowers? MUCH easier. And you didn't mention about blowing off the driveway/walkways. I hope you guys are blowing these areas. Also, after edging near the street you're supposed to blow whatever grass that is in the street back into the front yard.

I work for the federal government. So this includes a lot of dicking around.

My full-time job is with an FDA contract through our local health department. I have 15 counties in CO that I inspect tobacco retailers to ensure they are complying with federal tobacco laws. If not, I have the lovely job of writing them up and sending it back to the FDA to make the final punishment decision.

Within this contract, I also supervise the undercover buy program. I recruit and train kids for the program, then take them all over tarnation getting them to make underage buys. Again, evidence is sent to the FDA and they do all that back authoritarian crap.

At the health department, I am also Team Leader for our SNS (Strategic National Stockpile) team. Meaning, if there is major outbreak, I am in charge of organizing warehouse shipments of CDC push packages for populations affected. Lots of training with the CDC, but we've not had any type of major outbreak requiring team mobilization...so that's good.

Finally, I am a FEMA individual assistance reservist. If a major natural event calls, I get called up to travel when team members are needed to deal with the influx of victims. It's a nice little 80 hours a week of being screamed at by disaster victims who don't think the federal government is giving them enough money for damages (for the record, FEMA doesn't reimburse for your 5 lost MACs in the storm, nor do you get better flooring than you had before, or a better bedroom, etc., etc., etc.). It's a lot of fun!!!! No really, that's not the case most of the time. I'm helping people (for the most part) in their time of need and even with some of the frustrations of the job, my deployments have been extremely fulfilling.

I'm looking to get transferred to California though to be near my family. No longer anything keeping me in Colorado. So we'll see. I love running the undercover buy program for the FDA and I'd love to continue that in Cali.

I used to love my job. Landscaping for 12 hours a day, working manual labor in a physical job. Our little company did every type of work imaginable. One morning I might find myself up on a roof cleaning gutters, the next I'd be creating a paver patio. Maybe a week after that I might be doing a lot of tree work after storms cutting up and safely taking away downed trees and limbs. Then would come Friday. 12 hours on a ****ing lawnmower. I loved everything about landscaping but that. It would have been pretty fun with a zero turn mower but I was wrestling a SCAG 48 with the wheel every day. Fun fun. The mowing wasn't the worst part, not at all. The trimming was ****ing horrible. I shot so many small pebbles and pieces of dirt into my own face it wasn't funny. You've never seen a pair of safety sunglasses with so many dents, chips, and scratches in the lens.

If the idea however is how did a typical day go it would be like this:

5:00 am hear first phone alarm going off. Angrily wake up and cancel the alarm so I can go back to sleep.

5:05 am hear the second phone alarm going off. Wake up, slightly more alert this time, turn off current alarm and disable alarm I have set for 5:10 cause I'm so ****ing tired.

5:15 am jolt back awake for the third time because my alarm clock strategically placed on the other side of the room is going crazy (its the old kind with really loud bells and a hammer)

5:25 finish throwing on work clothes- no need to shower when you're just going to get ****ing filthy anyway.

5:30 grab water/gatorade/cooler for the day, make sure I have my hat, my phone, my gloves, and anything else I might need for a specific job.

5:30-6:00 speed up 270 north at 80 MPH because there has never been a single cop watching that direction at 5:45 for the past 4 years I've been doing this so why would there be one now?

5:30-6:00 listen to unbearable radio broadcasts of either those Baltimoron clowns on 98 rock or those annoying idiots on 106.7

6:00 arrive at meeting place in Damascus with boss who drinks coffee and is remarkably energetic and happy in the morning.

6:00-6:30 prepare our truck/trailers to bring the proper tools for the job that day.

6:30am - 6:30pm [Get into truck, drive to home/mowing area, get out of truck, grab trimmer, outline property w/trimmer, mow grass, get back in the truck, repeat.]

6:45pm debate with myself on the way home whether to stop at Giuseppe's in the Kentlands (c'mon someone out there should know what this is) so I may purchase and consume an entire large pizza with extra cheese because I haven't eaten all day, if I want to get a large cheesesteak at Jerry's, or if I want to stop at Five Guys on Shady Grove for a double cheeseburger and a ****ing paper bag full of fries.

7:30pm arrive home with an entire Guiseppe's pizza, begin eating while watching tv and sitting on the stool from the garage because my clothes are sweat filled and dirty and I can't get them on the nice couch.

8:00pm take half-delerious shower

8:15pm pass out from food coma, forgetting to set alarm for the next day.

That's pretty much how it went most days. Oh yeah and it was usually 95-100 degrees outside.

I create student reports at SMU; calculate GPAs; create degree progress reports; create transcripts; etc. There are other minor things, like reserving/scheduling classrooms to make sure there isn't double-booking, talking to alumni, blah blah. But the student reports are what takes up most of every day. 90% of my daily activity consists of using excel. I love excel and it makes life so easy.

And then on the side, if I'm waiting for a new project (those are the worst parts of the week, when I have nothing to do and am falling asleep at my desk)...I am on Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc. working on a website for my web design certification I am completing.

I'm a bartender at a local pizza place. $1.50 domestics and $1.75 Imports on Thursdays, Buy One Get One Slices after midnight (It's from an 18" pizza so they're pretty big)

Hopefully soon I'll be bartending up in DC while looking for an opening at the BLS for an economist... Then probably doing the economist thing while moonlighting as a bartender.

Oh jeebus, where do I start? For me, I have no free time. I'm in QA for a machine/fabrication shop...lots of military and contractor stuff.

My role has been blurred lately as we take on more work and we shift into our TOC (Theory Of Constraints) phase. We've been ISO 9001:2008 for almost a year and a half now. I'm the second in command for Quality and ran the department this past week as my supervisor was out. I also assist in managing production, expediting, and delegating work for other departments that don't know what the @#!% they are doing, especially our welding department. It sucks when you "know stuff" at such a place that has a lack of communication and organisation lol. And this is my DAILY routine.

I'm a computer technician for a public schools system.

Basically my day is: Go around any of 30 locations. Get lied to about what's wrong with a computer, and who messed it up. (Two recent examples: "The mouse stopped working" = computer freezing up from being filled with dust bunnies, and "That coupon-based spyware, I have no idea how that got on my computer." ) Fix said computers. Fix internet problems, from cabling needs reseating/replacing to switches and routers. Teach the ever-changing workforce of assistants in schools about fixing computers / troubleshooting network problems, one at a time and depending on their tech-savvyness. Rinse and repeat. Occasional meetings to pass info back and forth to everybody.

I don't work at all. I play everyday with other peoples kitchens and bathrooms. There is the mental and physical stimulation that is so rewarding, even if the money is not. The money can be great but he satisfaction of a job well done and the before and after are what drives me. I love my job most days, somedays like anyone it becomes hard to achieve the desired results. The constant challenges offered are so diverse I could go on for hours about them. It keeps you sharp. Worse part about my job is people at times just don't get it. Remember if your remodeling it will cost more and take longer than you think, that is just normally how it goes. And before you hire a contractor check for licenses and insurance.

Reading through this thread, no other Biologists on ES? I'm doing my research in developmental genetics. Any one else enrolled in Biological Sciences PhD programs or working in related fields?

Well just for one of the more easily accessible examples, you may want to check out PeterMPs posting history.

Well just for one of the more easily accessible examples, you may want to check out PeterMPs posting history.

That was one name that came to mind. I've seen Peter post in a lot of science related threads and figured he's either directly involved in Biological Science research or has background.

Also remember that there is another poster here who is a clinical geneticist. The name escapes me though.

Free range chicken in computers: I handle the budget, licensing, review all projects, server/storage/web capacity, incident/problem management.

I go in 5:30-6am Tysons corner, leave around 1:30pm

Hit the kiss n ride at the middle school and read email etc.. for 30mins

Drop her and her friend off at home and go get the other child in elementary school for 45mins (reason i got the hybrid).

run around with the children to softball, art, rec-center etc.. work via iphone until bed.

rinse/repeat.

Since some of the other mods haven't chimed in, I am going to drop a dime on them.

Mark the Homer: Hand to hand combat instructor at Quantico.

TK: Author and distinguished lecturer (all over the globe) on Poetry of the Renaissance and The Restoration

zoony: CEO of sensitivity training consulting firm The Soul of Organizational Success

Archived