Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Robert Griffin III is a Washington Redskin (Merged-- The Everything RG3 Thread- Mocks,News, Rumors etc MET)

HogNose

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Valuing draft picks is obviously a good thing, but it's one thing to throw away two high picks on TJ Duckett and Jason Taylor and Brandon Lloyd and a completely DIFFERENT thing using them to solidify your QB position for a decade.

Until you have a franchise QB in place, you do everything you can to find one. Then, you follow the Pats model and stockpile picks to build around your QB.

---------- Post added January-10th-2012 at 11:32 PM ----------

Sure, then we can toil another year with mediocre QB play that leads us to a poor record, a loss of Shanny's job, and starting over AGAIN. We aren't going to win any more games next year if we have the same production (or lack thereof) out of the QB position that we did this season.

This year, the Coach needs to either show improvement or sell the management on a developmental QB. Otherwise, he's not coming back for year 4.

Everyone acts like there are no other quarterbacks in this draft. None, aside from Luck and Griffin. I actually think two quarterback that will be good NFL quarterbacks: Cousins and Kellen Moore. With Moore being the biggest surprise quarterback coming out of this draft.

---------- Post added January-10th-2012 at 11:37 PM ----------

Valuing draft picks is obviously a good thing, but it's one thing to throw away two high picks on TJ Duckett and Jason Taylor and Brandon Lloyd and a completely DIFFERENT thing using them to solidify your QB position for a decade.

Until you have a franchise QB in place, you do everything you can to find one. Then, you follow the Pats model and stockpile picks to build around your QB.

---------- Post added January-10th-2012 at 11:32 PM ----------

Sure, then we can toil another year with mediocre QB play that leads us to a poor record, a loss of Shanny's job, and starting over AGAIN. We aren't going to win any more games next year if we have the same production (or lack thereof) out of the QB position that we did this season.

This year, the Coach needs to either show improvement or sell the management on a developmental QB. Otherwise, he's not coming back for year 4.

A quarterback, by the way, they drafted in the sixth.

Terpskins 10- I did not like the poor quarterback play all of us fans had to watch this year. It sounds like Shanny knows he has to get the job done in year 4 and that it would be unlikely our owner would bring him back for a fifth year. Before the season began I had zero faith in Rex leading us to the playoffs. Its amazing what Harbaugh has done with Alex Smith this year. But we do not have a clone of Harbaugh on our Skins coaching staff right now.

We did. Jason Campbell and Patrick Ramsey. My point: It's will be costly to move up. People act like Griffin is the greatest quarterback since Unitas. Like if we don't get him we are doomed. Not necessarily so. Last year we took five picks and get twelve. This year we have nine, we could probably stock pile to fifteen. I remember, when Marty passed on Vick and took Tomilsen and Brees. That turned out pretty well.

Ugh, ****in' Campbell and Ramsey. And Shuler for that matter. The constant excuses, the Ghost of Redskins Past that have fans completely spooked about ever touching a first round quarterback.

All those guys were horrible, terrible failing by our head coaches and general manager and owner to listen to what the **** our scouts were saying. Shuler should've never been drafted where he was. He was an option quarterback. Not spread option, like what Tebow runs or colleges run today. OPTION. Period. He wore number 21.

For some insane reason, Dan and Vinny fell in love with Patrick Ramsey. And he wasn't the worse prospect, and maybe he could've worked, but we ruined him by putting him in that godawful Steve Spurrier offense when he didn't fit and we didn't put the support system around him on the field OR in the front office.

And then Gibbs fell in love with Jason Campbell, despite our scouts telling him Aaron Rodgers was the better pick. NONE of those guys were the best prospects. All of them involved bad front offices (Casserly sucked as a general manager when he was here just as hard as Vinny and Dan did). You couldn't look at what Jason Campbell was in college and look at what Rodgers was in college and determine Campbell was the better prospect. He played in a simple, West Coast Offense-ish offense when he could check it down to Ronnie Brown or Cadillac Williams and let them work their magic when he was in trouble.

And what the hell did Campbell do when he came here? Check it down. Throw it short. Don't take your shots open deep. All the friggin' time, all day. There was no way on God's green Earth that Rodgers wasn't better than Campbell, and he SURELY was better than 'Los. But our head coach (as great a man as Gibbs was, that was a flub) and our front office effed up.

But as bad as our draft picks are, free agency has been WORSE. Yeah, we let Brad Johnson and Trent Green walk after good seasons. Brunell and Collins helped us get to the playoffs, but they were never going to win us a Super Bowl. But we trades and free agency flat out SUCK BALLS for us, but no one wants to talk about that. No one wants to talk about Jeff George or Tony Banks (first person who says "well he was okay under Marty" gets kicked in the shin) or Shane Matthews or Danny Wuerffel or Tim Hasslebeck, who all, to be blunt, sucked harder than Bree Olsen in a twenty-four hour orgy.

Will we be doomed if we don't draft Griffin? Maybe, maybe not. But all this "we shouldn't trade up to get Griffin" stuff is bull, especially if our staff thinks he's a good prospect, because to THIS point, this coaching staff and this front office has displayed it's better at scouting talent than any front office we've had since Bobby frakking Beathard was here. And yeah, they missed on McNabb (how were they supposed to know he would be such a huge prick), and they went with Grossman and Beck after they saw no one that they loved in the draft and free agency. So what. That's sunken cost.

Everything is. Every bad friggin' decision from the last 15 years is done and dead. Time to eat the cost and move the hell on, and maybe Robert Griffin plays like JaMarcus Russell on a 10-day codiene syrup bender or maybe he becomes the next Peyton Manning. But I refuse to be a scared because of the past anymore. It's time to move the frak on. If our coaches like RGIII, you draft him. Period. We'll deal with the greatness or the assy play later. But relying on Matt Flynn and Kyle Orton and the like to rescue us forever ain't likely to win us a Super Bowl either.

The more I puzzle this over the more and more I think the Browns take RG3 with their #4 pick. Why wouldn't they? They've been as snake-bitten and starved for a (potential) marquee signal caller as we have. Heck, they haven't had ANYBODY good at the position since Bernie Kosar that I can recall. They also have the luxury of having another first round pick later in the draft and can find another solid contributor to round out their team. Damn! Why did we beat the Seahawks and Giants this year! Arghhh. Ok, rant over.

Everyone acts like there are no other quarterbacks in this draft. None, aside from Luck and Griffin. I actually think two quarterback that will be good NFL quarterbacks: Cousins and Kellen Moore. With Moore being the biggest surprise quarterback coming out of this draft.

---------- Post added January-10th-2012 at 11:37 PM ----------

A quarterback, by the way, they drafted in the sixth.

I'm going to disagree wholeheartedly that either Cousins or Moore are anywhere NEAR starting QB prospects. The only prospects in this draft who I consider starters down the line are Luck, Griffin, Tannehill, and Russell Wilson, with the latter two being 50/50 either way.

As for Brady, many people have pointed out that teams have gotten BETTER at drafting QBs over the last decade and the hit rate outside of the first round is almost zero. Brady is an anomaly and we can't expect that we sit around stockpiling talent until we find our own Brady. First round QBs have shown to be the most successful in getting their team to the playoffs as well.

The more I puzzle this over the more and more I think the Browns take RG3 with their #4 pick. Why wouldn't they? They've been as snake-bitten and starved for a (potential) marquee signal caller as we have. Heck, they haven't had ANYBODY good at the position since Bernie Kosar. They also have the luxury of having another first round pick later in the draft and can find another solid contributor.

But, the debate is about us trading up. If he falls to them, sure they might take them, but there's serious doubt he makes it to the #4 position. The Rams are in prime trade position for a ton of QB needy teams.

But, the debate is about us trading up. If he falls to them, sure they might take them, but there's serious doubt he makes it to the #4 position. The Rams are in prime trade position for a ton of QB needy teams.

That's why I'm hoping Bruce Allen has a tight/solid relationship with the Rams GM here (of course I'm only going off what I've read within this forum).

I would like to ask everyone who does not want to give up picks for a potential franchise quarterback what they want us to do at quarterback?? And I don't want to hear that we need Flynn or draft a quarterback in later rounds. Really???? Like having late round quarterbacks ie. Frerotte has worked out so well. Other than Heath Shuler we have not drafted a quarterback in the top 15 since when????? And Flynn....a 7th round draft choice who has started 2 whole games for a very talented Green Bay team. As with Griffin you have no idea what you are getting with Flynn long term. Why not go after a young athletic quarterback with a high ceiling. You cant just fill the most important position on a the field with warm bodies who have the title of quarterback and expect or hope for things to work out. I say to avoid having high picks for the next few years we go all in now since we at least have the ammo and go after Luck or Griffin. I want a young stud quarterback and in Shanahan I trust.

HTTR

Ugh, ****in' Campbell and Ramsey. And Shuler for that matter. The constant excuses, the Ghost of Redskins Past that have fans completely spooked about ever touching a first round quarterback.

All those guys were horrible, terrible failing by our head coaches and general manager and owner to listen to what the **** our scouts were saying. Shuler should've never been drafted where he was. He was an option quarterback. Not spread option, like what Tebow runs or colleges run today. OPTION. Period. He wore number 21.

For some insane reason, Dan and Vinny fell in love with Patrick Ramsey. And he wasn't the worse prospect, and maybe he could've worked, but we ruined him by putting him in that godawful Steve Spurrier offense when he didn't fit and we didn't put the support system around him on the field OR in the front office.

And then Gibbs fell in love with Jason Campbell, despite our scouts telling him Aaron Rodgers was the better pick. NONE of those guys were the best prospects. All of them involved bad front offices (Casserly sucked as a general manager when he was here just as hard as Vinny and Dan did). You couldn't look at what Jason Campbell was in college and look at what Rodgers was in college and determine Campbell was the better prospect. He played in a simple, West Coast Offense-ish offense when he could check it down to Ronnie Brown or Cadillac Williams and let them work their magic when he was in trouble.

And what the hell did Campbell do when he came here? Check it down. Throw it short. Don't take your shots open deep. All the friggin' time, all day. There was no way on God's green Earth that Rodgers wasn't better than Campbell, and he SURELY was better than 'Los. But our head coach (as great a man as Gibbs was, that was a flub) and our front office effed up.

But as bad as our draft picks are, free agency has been WORSE. Yeah, we let Brad Johnson and Trent Green walk after good seasons. Brunell and Collins helped us get to the playoffs, but they were never going to win us a Super Bowl. But we trades and free agency flat out SUCK BALLS for us, but no one wants to talk about that. No one wants to talk about Jeff George or Tony Banks (first person who says "well he was okay under Marty" gets kicked in the shin) or Shane Matthews or Danny Wuerffel or Tim Hasslebeck, who all, to be blunt, sucked harder than Bree Olsen in a twenty-four hour orgy.

Will we be doomed if we don't draft Griffin? Maybe, maybe not. But all this "we shouldn't trade up to get Griffin" stuff is bull, especially if our staff thinks he's a good prospect, because to THIS point, this coaching staff and this front office has displayed it's better at scouting talent than any front office we've had since Bobby frakking Beathard was here. And yeah, they missed on McNabb (how were they supposed to know he would be such a huge prick), and they went with Grossman and Beck after they saw no one that they loved in the draft and free agency. So what. That's sunken cost.

Everything is. Every bad friggin' decision from the last 15 years is done and dead. Time to eat the cost and move the hell on, and maybe Robert Griffin plays like JaMarcus Russell on a 10-day codiene syrup bender or maybe he becomes the next Peyton Manning. But I refuse to be a scared because of the past anymore. It's time to move the frak on. If our coaches like RGIII, you draft him. Period. We'll deal with the greatness or the assy play later. But relying on Matt Flynn and Kyle Orton and the like to rescue us forever ain't likely to win us a Super Bowl either.

No one said, Kyle Orton. Matt Flynn has been trained in a great system. He's ready to play in the NFL. He's done it twice and excelled. Even Rodgers said he was a starter. He said that last year! "We see it everyday in practice." He won a National Championship and was the MVP in the game. We can win immediately and fortify other positions on the team. And, we can still draft a rookie, what is wrong with that. Look, Todd McShay said JaMarcus Russell was the best work out he's every seen from a quarterback ever. My point: Calm down about making Griffin do or die. You're only going to pass out if it doesn't happen.

We will do something. Some will be happy. Others mad. Whatever we decide to do. I just value picks and the Redskins scouting to sell the farm for one guy. You differ. We will see what Mike thinks.

Honestly, I don't think the Browns are as big of a threat to get RGIII.

That offense is so weak at so many positions, I think it's way more likely they use their top picks to get some help at receiver and running back (Trent Richardson would be a huge upgrade over Hardesty and HIllis), and that they go grab Flynn who is proven to be a good WCO QB. Holmgren has NEVER drafted a QB high, and has always gone after guys who are more conventional QBs. He runs a pure form of the WCO, and a guy with RGIII's talents isn't needed for them.

No one said, Kyle Orton. Matt Flynn has been trained in a great system. He's ready to play in the NFL. He's done it. He won a National Championship and was the MVP in the game. We can win immediately and fortify other positions on the team. And, we can still draft a rookie, what is wrong with that. Look, Todd McShay said JaMarcus Russell was the best work out he's every seen from a quarterback ever. My point: Calm down making Griffin do or die.

We will do something. Some will be happy. Others mad. Whatever we decide to do.

"Win immediately"?

Why do we have to win immediately?

First off, McShay is a frakking moron. The guy also big upped Jimmy Clausen for, pretty much, an entire season. He liked Blaine Gabbert more than Cam Newton. Of all the draftniks out there that do it for a living, the only person I think has ever come close to being really solid and reliable is Mike Mayock.

Second, that's what I'm talking about. Being scared of drafting a quarterback. Implying we can "win immediately" with a guy who has a great game under his belt and a 1-1 win-loss record as a starter. The fact of the matter is, Flynn is just as much of an unknown as Griffin is.

The difference?

Matt Flynn is safe. Griffin is not.

Flynn "has taken snaps against NFL defenses" (who had no tape on him to study, and in the Lions case, no idea whether or not him or Rodgers was going to play), he threw 6 touchdowns in a game, he's learned in a system that's vaguely similiar-ish to ours under a great quarterback...

What has Griffin ever done? He never won a national championship. He comes from a weird offense and he's too small, and he's never taken a snap against an NFL defense.

I'm not saying Griffin is do or die. I'm saying that the fear of drafting a bust has scared fans into wanting to make "safer" choice, even though he might actually end up being the far riskier play.

I, for one, am tired of safe. I'm tired of other teams leftovers. History has shown that more of those guys fail than they do succeed. Recent history has shown that you have a better chance of making the playoffs and getting to a Super Bowl with a first round quarterback than you do with a free agent.

I would like to ask everyone who does not want to give up picks for a potential franchise quarterback what they want us to do at quarterback?? And I don't want to hear that we need Flynn or draft a quarterback in later rounds. Really???? Like having late round quarterbacks ie. Frerotte has worked out so well. Other than Heath Shuler we have not drafted a quarterback in the top 15 since when????? And Flynn....a 7th round draft choice who has started 2 whole games for a very talented Green Bay team. As with Griffin you have no idea what you are getting with Flynn long term. Why not go after a young athletic quarterback with a high ceiling. You cant just fill the most important position on a the field with warm bodies who have the title of quarterback and expect or hope for things to work out. I say to avoid having high picks for the next few years we go all in now since we at least have the ammo and go after Luck or Griffin. I want a young stud quarterback and in Shanahan I trust.

HTTR

If the situation played out where we cannot get RGIII (either to expensive in picks or some other team out bids us) then I would

go to Minn with a trade offer for Joe Webb. To me he is a bigger version of RGIII and already has NFL experience.

Then I would look at a Nick Foles, or Kirk Cousins type of later round pick that just may be a diamond in the rough.

HTTR

With Flynn, all you're giving up as a contract. You wouldn't be giving up 2 first round picks and a 2nd round pick for one player, you'd just be giving up money. Pretty big difference. Trading up, will cost a lot.

Rather than trade UP and give up all that for one player, I'd rather trade DOWN like we did last year and gain an extra 2nd round pick and try to address multiple holes.

1 OG - DeCastro - Stanford

2 QB - Foles - Arizona

2 CB - Hosley - Virginia Tech

3 WR - Fuller - Texas A&M

4 RT - Ad**** - Oklahoma State

4 ILB - Cole - NC State

5 QB - Lindley - San Diego State

6 SS - Smith - Notre Dame

7 TE - Provo - Syracuse

This, in my opinion would give us an elite starting guard to bolster our interior OL in DeCastro, a Matt Shaub type QB in Foles. A good playmaking zone corner in Hosley, another WR prospect in Fuller, Someone to compete for the RT spot. A prospect to groom behind Fletcher and some depth at SS, QB and TE.

At this point, take Luck out of the equation. Colts are taking him and they aren't interested in trading out of the pick. If we're going to trade up for someone it'll be Griffin, and it'll take 2 first rounders and a 2nd rounder to do it. We'd need one hell of a FA class to even consider that. Because our picks will be depleted once again for one player.

With Flynn, all you're giving up as a contract. You wouldn't be giving up 2 first round picks and a 2nd round pick for one player, you'd just be giving up money. Pretty big difference. Trading up, will cost a lot.

Actually, everyone seems to be agreeing that the Packers are likely to franchise Flynn and thus get something in return for him, i.e. picks. So it's probably not going to just be a contract.

It's interesting to note the ages of those in the pro-trade up for RGIII and anti-trade up for RGIII camps. I think the 80's ruined a lot of older Skins fans. Those were glorious times and they think that blueprint is still relevant.

Going the FA/trade route to find a QB has been proven to have much less statistical odds of succeeding. If we miss on Flynn, which is highly likely, we not only lose out on that time we spent trying to make him our QB, but if we continue to stink our top players will not want to re-sign.

The best teams in the NFL draft their own QBs and they draft them high. Why do Redskins fans insist that we can do everything opposite of what successful teams do and still find a way to contend? We've gone the route of trading and signing FA QBs and it hasn't worked. Time to try something new.

We did. Jason Campbell and Patrick Ramsey. My point: It's will be costly to move up. People act like Griffin is the greatest quarterback since Unitas. Like if we don't get him we are doomed. Not necessarily so. Last year we took five picks and turned them into twelve. This year we have nine, we could probably stock pile them into fifteen more picks. I remember, when Marty passed on Vick and took Tomilsen and Brees. That turned out pretty well.

Neither Patrick Ramsey or Jason Campbell was nowhere as good as RG3 when they were leaving the NCAA for the NFL. Neither of them also was not a projected top 5 pick like Griffin III is either. Over the course of the pass twenty years or so, I've seen many great QBs come from out of the college ranks to the NFL. Very few of them could do the things that RG3 has done. Not even last year's first overall pick, Cam Newton, was as good as Griffin III coming out of college.

The Redskins do need to draft where they are lacking. Redskin fans and the media alike have been saying all season how badly the QB position needs upgrading. The offense needs a few more pieces, but quarterback is the largest need by far. The Pop Warner level of QB play this past year by Grossman and Beck left much to be desired. That said, the Redskins are better off doing all the can to land Robert Griffin III. If you look at all the QBs who take their teams to the playoffs year in and year out, most of them are first round draft choices selected by said team, not free agent who were signed. Ben Rothesburger, Aaron Rodgers, Joe Flacco, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers, and many others within the past few years have taken their team to the playoffs. Even Drew Brees, who was selected in the 2nd round would have been a 1st round pick had the NFL had 32 teams in 2001. If the Colts somehow choose RG3, then the Redskins need to get Luck. Either way, drafting either is better than signing another team's QB. And the remaining holes on the roster will take care of itself. But a young QB is the most pressing need.

I've seen a lot of people post this.

Free agency happens prior to the draft. Flynn will be with a new team before the draft happens. So Flynn won't be a contingency plan for anyone.

Skins have 3 options.

1- Sign Flynn and take care of the QB position prior to the draft.

2- Trade up to take RG3.

3- Trade down, address other needs in the first round and take someone like Foles in round 2.

I expect the Skins to sign a veteran like Garrard in the off season but still draft a RgIII because Rex cannot see the field again for this franchise regardless of how much Rex knows the system. I think the Skins will trade down in later rounds in the draft to acquire picks but I really feel this team will get a young franchise qb for once.

Going the FA/trade route to find a QB has been proven to have much less statistical odds of succeeding. If we miss on Flynn, which is highly likely, we not only lose out on that time we spent trying to make him our QB, but if we continue to stink our top players will not want to re-sign.

The best teams in the NFL draft their own QBs and they draft them high. Why do Redskins fans insist that we can do everything opposite of what successful teams do and still find a way to contend? We've gone the route of trading and signing FA QBs and it hasn't worked. Time to try something new.

I wasn't proposing we sign Flynn, simply saying it's less risky than giving up 3 high picks for one player. And you're inaccurate anyway. Brees was a 2nd round pick and wasn't drafted by his current team. Aaron Rodgers was a late first round pick. Brady a 6th round pick. There is no formula. If there was one proven way of doing things, everyone would do it that way.

I laid out what I'd do. Doesn't include Flynn or giving up the farm for one player.

I wasn't proposing we sign Flynn, simply saying it's less risky than giving up 3 high picks for one player. And you're inaccurate anyway. Brees was a 2nd round pick and wasn't drafted by his current team. Aaron Rodgers was a late first round pick. Brady a 6th round pick. There is no formula. If there was one proven way of doing things, everyone would do it that way.

I laid out what I'd do. Doesn't include Flynn or giving up the farm for one player.

These three players come up again and again and again...

Those three quarterbacks, great as they may be, are the outliers. This is not the norm. How many 6th round draft picks since Brady have gone on to be regular starters that performed at a high level? What about second round Brees, as you mentioned Brees? And Brees was only let go because the Chargers drafted Phillip Rivers to replace him at the exact same time Drew Brees started playing really, really good football. They had to make a choice. Brees' rotator cuff injury made the decision for them.

As for Rodgers, him slipping to 24 was a crime that can not be explained by science. The only explanation that's ever come up is that Mike Nolan wanted a quarterback that was less headstrong and less likely to put up a fight and disagree with him so he picked Smith. That's just hearsay, but Rodgers slipping to the 24th pick should've never happened. And again, this isn't the norm.

Bringing these three guys up as an excuse to not trade up for a quarterback simply does not hold weight,

These three players come up again and again and again...

Those three quarterbacks, great as they may be, are the outliers. This is not the norm. How many 6th round draft picks since Brady have gone on to be regular starters that performed at a high level? What about second round Brees, as you mentioned Brees? And Brees was only let go because the Chargers drafted Phillip Rivers to replace him at the exact same time Drew Brees started playing really, really good football. They had to make a choice. Brees' rotator cuff injury made the decision for them.

As for Rodgers, him slipping to 24 was a crime that can not be explained by science. The only explanation that's ever come up is that Mike Nolan wanted a quarterback that was less headstrong and less likely to put up a fight and disagree with him so he picked Smith. That's just hearsay, but Rodgers slipping to the 24th pick should've never happened. And again, this isn't the norm.

Bringing these three guys up as an excuse to not trade up for a quarterback simply does not hold weight,

Doesn't hold weight in your opinion. I've given several points why I wouldn't trade 2 first rounders and a 2nd for Griffin aside from the fact that the 3 best QBs in the league don't fit the criteria of the post I was responding to. And it's inaccurate to say that all the best teams would do it that way. Giving up the farm for a QB isn't the only way to find a QB that can get things done in the NFL. That's a fact.

I mentioned these three teams because if you had a poll of who the best franchises are, these are the top 3. And they also happen to be the elite QBs in the NFL right now both in terms of output and accomplishments. And none of the teams found their QB by the criteria that I was told is how all good teams do it.

And I'm not using them as an excuse, but as an example that it's just not factual that this is how good teams find their QBs.

I've given several other reasons why it wouldn't make sense for this team, as it's constructed right now, to give up 2 1sts and a 2nd round pick for one player. While we need a QB, we also need a lot more than just that one position filled. The risk is too high for my liking to give up THAT much for one player. And RG3 isn't the only option to fill the position in the draft.

I hate how people say "2 first round picks" like both of them are just being thrown out. We would swap our first round pick with whoever we trade up with to take RG3. That's the first first round pick. Then we'd lose our first next year. So essentially it's one first round pick and whatever other pick they want that we end up losing. That's it. Well worth it imo.

This isn't directed at anyone, just pointing that out.

:)

Archived