Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Robert Griffin III is a Washington Redskin (Merged-- The Everything RG3 Thread- Mocks,News, Rumors etc MET)

HogNose

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

He better not bust if that's the price. I like him but I don't know if I like him THAT much. That's 3 possible starters for 1 player you hope works out.

It doesn't matter how good your starters are if you don't have a QB. It's worth the cost, especially given that this administration has had a good track record with late round picks.

Lulz.

1) Griffin's speed doesn't matter because he's also an elite passer. Even if he ran a 4.9, he'd be a top QB prospect.

2) Bradford is not tradeable.

3) You'd be surprised at how much our perceived "holes" look better with a better QB. Look at the OL numbers for the Pats when Brady was out compared to when he plays, and do the same with Peyton.

4) You go nowhere without a QB even if you have Pro Bowlers everywhere else.

I think I summed it up nicely.

yes you did. better than i.

So...you guys are advocating trading the #6 pick, next year's 1st rd pick (top 10ish), and another probably 2nd rd pick for Robert Griffin... a 6'2 QB who wishes he could run as fast as Vick...

Pass.

The only similarities between Vick and Griffin is the color of their skin. Griffin is a pocket passer that at times will run. Griffin=Steve Young

Btw, Drew Brees is 6'0 and seems to be doing okay.

It doesn't matter how good your starters are if you don't have a QB. It's worth the cost, especially given that this administration has had a good track record with late round picks.

It's not worth the cost if he busts. It's a big risk to give up that much. Only worth it if he ends up being a pro bowl QB.

It's not worth the cost if he busts. It's a big risk to give up that much. Only worth it if he ends up being a pro bowl QB.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. We can't not draft a QB because we're scared he won't be a Pro Bowler. That way, you ensure you never WILL have one.

---------- Post added January-10th-2012 at 10:58 PM ----------

Get Flynn. Keep picks and stockpile. We already have nine picks. Draft Foles, Cousins or Moore as project.

Please name a middle round "project" QB that's turned into a good starter in the last decade not named Schaub. Not sold on Flynn and drafting a project QB is just delaying the inevitable - having to take a blue-chip QB the next time we get an opportunity.

Now is as good a time as any to do it, or else we'll just mire in mediocrity and not have a good enough pick to get a QB and not good enough to contend. Flynn is fool's gold and someone is going to regret investing a lot of picks/money into him.

They got Colt in, what, the third round? That's pretty different than trading away first round picks for a QB that doesn't fit their system.

Colt McCoy is a back up at best in this league and he was a 3rd Rd pick. We (Redskins) discarded McNabb that cost us a 2nd and 4th in less than a year. RG3 is going 2nd and Cleveland will be one of our main competitors to trade up to take him at #2.

Get Flynn. Keep picks and stockpile. We already have nine picks. Draft Foles, Cousins or Moore as project.

This would seem like a very good offseason plan. But how often does a team win with free agent QBs? Matt Flynn has done well in relief or Aaron Rodgers, but two games isn't enough to evaluate him on. He could be a dead on hotshot for the Redskins at QB. That seems more of a risk than them drafting RG3 and fitting him in their system. The Redskins need to draft their own QB. Not pick up other team's QB.

He better not bust if that's the price. I like him but I don't know if I like him THAT much. That's 3 possible starters for 1 player you hope works out.

I like him too. It's the price that I don't like. More often than not, QBs bust. Even high 1sts bust all the time. Trading 3 high picks is a lot different than drafting a Shuler or Leaf when they fall to you. Seriously, how many QBs in the NFL right now were drafted top 2 and are rock solid pro-bowlers? The WORST mistakes in the draft are always made on QBs. If he falls to us then fine, draft him. Otherwise, draft 3 solid players with those picks and make one of them a different QB.

This would seem like a very good offseason plan. But how often does a team win with free agent QBs? Matt Flynn has done well in relief or Aaron Rodgers, but two games isn't enough to evaluate him on. He could be a dead on hotshot for the Redskins at QB. That seems more of a risk than them drafting RG3 and fitting him in their system. The Redskins need to draft their own QB. Not pick up other team's QB.

We did. Jason Campbell and Patrick Ramsey. My point: It's will be costly to move up. People act like Griffin is the greatest quarterback since Unitas. Like if we don't get him we are doomed. Not necessarily so. Last year we took five picks and turned them into twelve. This year we have nine, we could probably stock pile them into fifteen more picks. I remember, when Marty passed on Vick and took Tomilsen and Brees. That turned out pretty well.

I just love the idea that we're supposed to sit around drafting all this great talent and somehow rely on free agents and late round prospects to guide us until the perfect prospect at the perfect time lands in our laps right when we need them and somehow this is a better way to ensure the future than taking a risk a drafting someone who could bust. So painfully, stupidly optimistic...

We did. Jason Campbell and Patrick Ramsey. My point: It's will be costly to move up. People act like Griffin is the greatest quarterback since Unitas. Like if we don't get him we are doomed. Not necessarily so. Last year we took five picks and get twelve. This year we have nine, we could probably stock pile to fifteen. I remember, when Marty passed on Vick and took Tomilsen and Brees. That turned out pretty well.

Drafting two QBs who were considered to be second rounders doesn't qualify as trying to find a franchise QB.

Drafting two QBs who were considered to be second rounders doesn't qualify as trying to find a franchise QB.

JaMarcus Russell was supposed to be a franchise quarterback. Ain't no guarantees. My point, it that people need to calm down. And, weigh everything. People seem in panic mode and that's when you make stupid decisions. I just don't think we should sell the house for Griffin. That's when you over pay. It's all going to come down to free agency. That's when we will know.

Yes, RG3 is an immense talent. Be he's not the be all. Because there just may be a lot of upset people when this is over.

I just love the idea that we're supposed to sit around drafting all this great talent and somehow rely on free agents and late round prospects to guide us until the perfect prospect at the perfect time lands in our laps right when we need them and somehow this is a better way to ensure the future than taking a risk a drafting someone who could bust. So painfully, stupidly optimistic...

Exactly.

This is perfect.

It's funny because its stupidly optimistic while being annoying pessimistic. lol

It's valuing draft picks. Something this organization has never done, until last year. Now everyone wants to give up a ton to move up. Snyderesque. I don't think Mike will.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. We can't not draft a QB because we're scared he won't be a Pro Bowler. That way, you ensure you never WILL have one.

I didn't say anything about not drafting a QB. I said something about giving up 2 first round picks and a 2nd round pick to draft one. It's a matter of weighing risk vs reward. If we were talking about taking him at 6 overall, sure, do it and don't even think twice. But that's not what we're talking about.

You can still draft a QB in 2012 without giving up two first rounders and a second rounder to do it.

It's valuing draft picks. Something this organization has never done, until last year.

Valuing draft picks is obviously a good thing, but it's one thing to throw away two high picks on TJ Duckett and Jason Taylor and Brandon Lloyd and a completely DIFFERENT thing using them to solidify your QB position for a decade.

Until you have a franchise QB in place, you do everything you can to find one. Then, you follow the Pats model and stockpile picks to build around your QB.

---------- Post added January-10th-2012 at 11:32 PM ----------

I am not convinced Shanny wants Griffin. Do not be surprised if he picks another quarterback or follows this year's approach to the draft to get a lot more players in later rounds. We have a lot of holes to fill especially if we do not re-sign some of the veterans.

Sure, then we can toil another year with mediocre QB play that leads us to a poor record, a loss of Shanny's job, and starting over AGAIN. We aren't going to win any more games next year if we have the same production (or lack thereof) out of the QB position that we did this season.

This year, the Coach needs to either show improvement or sell the management on a developmental QB. Otherwise, he's not coming back for year 4.

Archived