Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFLN: Brees eclipsing Marino should have asterisk

pointyfootball

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82548118/article/when-brees-breaks-marinos-record-is-an-asterisk-warranted?module=HP11_headline_stack

"Like Marino, Brees is using pinpoint accuracy to shred defenses," Freeman writes. "Unlike Marino, Brees is doing it with liberal rules that leave defenses playing with one hand tied behind their back. In effect, Brees' record will be severely watered down. So much so, that it almost deserves an asterisk."

I kind of agree with this assessment as defenses really have been limited with the contact rules being strictly enforced. However, defenses have also gotten much more complex since the 80's as well so maybe it is as impressive as when Marino did it.

I have to wonder where all these geniuses were when it was suggested Art Monk's reception record didn't mean much because so many players were going to break it decades later. To this day, Monk, who retired in 1995 at the age of 36, is the only player in the top 20 all-time reception list who didn't play into the 2000s.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82548118/article/when-brees-breaks-marinos-record-is-an-asterisk-warranted?module=HP11_headline_stack

"Like Marino, Brees is using pinpoint accuracy to shred defenses," Freeman writes. "Unlike Marino, Brees is doing it with liberal rules that leave defenses playing with one hand tied behind their back. In effect, Brees' record will be severely watered down. So much so, that it almost deserves an asterisk."

I kind of agree with this assessment as defenses really have been limited with the contact rules being strictly enforced. However, defenses have also gotten much more complex since the 80's as well so maybe it is as impressive as when Marino did it.

If the rules are going to continually make the game easier on offenses records should have asterisks for the changes. Marino played in a time where defensive backs could chuck receivers off of routes all day long. Brees plays in this new NFL where receivers run free and many hard legal hits are deemed personal fouls because it might get guys hurt. At no time in the NFL's history have receivers and QBs had this much protection and advantage.

Also, as the defenses got more complex, so did the offenses. They both have evolved. Whereas the rules have evolved to favor only one side.

The 5 yard no contact rule was put in place in the 70s, with the intention of weakening the Steeler's defense. It was followed by new passing records, eclipsing Jurgensen. Technically there was no rule change after 2001, just a re-emphasis on enforcing the existing rule. The new emphasis means more passing records broken, but as others have said, this is the evolution of the game. It is why HOF voters need to consider the era in which players play when voting. It is why McNabb should not get into the HoF despite having bigger yardage stats than many of the existing members. Compare him to his contemperaries like Brady, Manning, Favre, Warner, Brees, etc. And he was solid, but not quite elite.

The original editorial.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/16542102/tenpoint-stance-when-brees-passes-marinos-mark-it-deserves-an-asterisk

Like Marino, Brees is using pinpoint accuracy to shred defenses. Unlike Marino, Brees is doing it with liberal rules that leave defenses playing with one hand tied behind their back.

In effect, Brees' record will be severely watered down. So much so, that it almost deserves an asterisk.

It's not only Brees. Many of the incredible numbers put up by quarterbacks today are artificially enhanced by rules changes -- particularly changes made in the past several years as the football culture has shifted from an extremely violent one to a just a violent one.

Defensive holding is commonplace now and pass interference calls are astronomically high. It's incredible to watch. It seems as often as not, a long pass downfield ends up in a penalty on the defensive player. This alters how a defender plays a wide receiver. Inevitably, fearing a penalty, a larger cushion is given.

Roughing the passer, blows to the head and the increasing calls for hits on defenseless receivers has given quarterbacks like Brees wide open passing lanes and wide-open receivers. For Marino, it was the Pleistocene age. For Brees, it's the ease of an iPad.

Click Link For More

:rolleyes:

Actually, until the late 80s, contact rules were strictly enforced and for several years after that, refs generally could call them if they wanted to (and when someone was working on such a record, he'd get those calls).

If the rules are going to continually make the game easier on offenses records should have asterisks for the changes. Marino played in a time where defensive backs could chuck receivers off of routes all day long. Brees plays in this new NFL where receivers run free and many hard legal hits are deemed personal fouls because it might get guys hurt. At no time in the NFL's history have receivers and QBs had this much protection and advantage.

Also, as the defenses got more complex, so did the offenses. They both have evolved. Whereas the rules have evolved to favor only one side.

Incorrect, the rule you are referring to was implemented in 1975 (1 chuck) and has been part of the game since. Now, the rule that you could only chuck a guy inside the 5 yard zone was implemented in 1978 and was heavily enforced during most of the 80s.

Incorrect, the rule you are referring to was implemented in 1975 (1 chuck) and has been part of the game since. Now, the rule that you could only chuck a guy inside the 5 yard zone was implemented in 1978 and was heavily enforced during most of the 80s.

It was heavily enfored in the 80s? So then what happened? I seem to remember them having to remind the refs of the rule after the patriots beat the soft Colts.

It was heavily enfored in the 80s? So then what happened? I seem to remember them having to remind the refs of the rule after the patriots beat the soft Colts.

Refs slowly stopped calling it with regularity and by the early 90s had pretty much stopped calling it at all (except for limiting the mugging). The 5-yard rule pretty much changed the game, some would say it ruined it. The real argument that Brees needs an asterisk would come from the fact that pass rushers can no longer kill the QB (so the QB is likely to be more clear-headed when he throws) and that due to the defenseless receiver rules, DBs pretty much have to let the receiver catch the ball and then try to make the tackle. Funny, but I think that a large reason that we have to have a defenseless receiver rule is that receivers were more often open due to the 5-yard rule and the only way the DB could make sure the receiver did not make the catch was to hit him hard during the catch so the receiver either gave it up or went alligator.

I knew somebody was going to whine about this. The fact that it stood this long proves just how great of a feet it was for Marino. But it was going to get broke eventually.I just can't believe that it might get broken twice in one year. :D
Thrice?

I don't think it needs an asterik. Today is an offensively-biased league but it's still a fantastic feat. You can come up with all the comebacks you want but offensive numbers simply prove this is a more offensive (passing) league than ever, by far. Remember when a 300 yard passing game meant something?

But the fact is, a record broken is a record broken. The only time an asterik is warranted is if it's a record that due to rule changes, could literally no longer be broken.

But I have said, imagine Marino passing in today's league. Comical numbers.

This is pathetic. Using this logic, if DiMaggio's hit streak ever is broken (which I don't think it will, but that's a different thread) someone will say the new record holder has an asterisk because the season is longer, hence more opportunity for a streak to go on.

Favre's consecutive games streak needs to have an asterisk because he played in an era before concussion testing.

Archived