Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFLN: Brees eclipsing Marino should have asterisk

pointyfootball

Three on the Saints OL were just named to the Pro Bowl. But I thought the Saints OL was horrible and it was all Brees. Aren't elite QBs gods?

I think you answered your own question. Brees makes them look good. They're all mid to late rounders. LT's are a 7th and a 4th and the OGs are 4th and 5th rounders. Brees is great moving around to find passing lanes and he's also really good with his pre snap reads. He knows when to change plays and he can get the ball out quick. Makes the Olines job relatively easy. That's what good QB's do. Peyton hardly ever got hit and it wasn't because he had all day to sit back.

Never fails.. Anytime a long standing record gets broke, in any pro sport, some bozo starts calling for an asterisk.. Sports have been evolving/revolving since their inception. Might as well add roman numerals after all the records to represent how many asterisks there should be.. "Single Season Passing: Drew BreesXXVII" :ols:

I don't think it needs an asterik. Today is an offensively-biased league but it's still a fantastic feat. You can come up with all the comebacks you want but offensive numbers simply prove this is a more offensive (passing) league than ever, by far. Remember when a 300 yard passing game meant something?

But the fact is, a record broken is a record broken. The only time an asterik is warranted is if it's a record that due to rule changes, could literally no longer be broken.

But I have said, imagine Marino passing in today's league. Comical numbers.

What Marino did was amazing when he did it. What's more amazing, he owned like every record (TDs, passing, etc.). Not one QB has broken all the records by themselves and probably never will. Two or three differnet QBs have (Favre for total passing yards, Brady for most TDs tossed in a season, Brees for most yards in a season, etc.).

I will say this, the rules have changed but what Brees did is amazing. And one can argue that the defenses Marino faced were not as complex/advanced as they are today. With the blitz packages, etc. Not to mention that todays defensive players are a lot faster/stronger than those in the past. Not taking anything away from Marino, but nobody should take anything away from Brees either. Both played in different eras and both had different and difficult challenges to overcome too.

I have to wonder where all these geniuses were when it was suggested Art Monk's reception record didn't mean much because so many players were going to break it decades later. To this day, Monk, who retired in 1995 at the age of 36, is the only player in the top 20 all-time reception list who didn't play into the 2000s.

Ummmmm, how would that ever change? I think only players that have played into the 2000s can keep accumulating catches?

Ummmmm, how would that ever change? I think only players that have played into the 2000s can keep accumulating catches?

Well, Monk could get knocked off the list, as every other WR who's career ended long before the current pass-happy era has.

2 out of the 3 redskins superboowls shouldn't count since they were strike-shortened seasons.

I always ask the haters this: How many games in the regular season did your team play in 1982 and 1987? They had the same amount of games to accomplish what we did. We weren't awarded extra wins. In fact, we were the 3 seed in 1987 out of 5 teams in the NFC playoffs.

What Marino did was amazing when he did it. What's more amazing, he owned like every record (TDs, passing, etc.). Not one QB has broken all the records by themselves and probably never will. Two or three differnet QBs have (Favre for total passing yards, Brady for most TDs tossed in a season, Brees for most yards in a season, etc.).

By the same token, Monk owned all the records before Rice came along. So it's pretty amazing what Monk did in a non passing era.

I always ask the haters this: How many games in the regular season did your team play in 1982 and 1987? They had the same amount of games to accomplish what we did. We weren't awarded extra wins. In fact, we were the 3 seed in 1987 out of 5 teams in the NFC playoffs.

By the same token, Monk owned all the records before Rice came along. So it's pretty amazing what Monk did in a non passing era.

Absolutely, without a doubt.

thats actually not true. Didnt hold any TD record. Didnt hold any yardage record either. Just receptions. And Monk's career was all in the passing era, since it was post 1978. Whats happened since 2004 is a second passing era.

on the low, I think Art Monk is kind of overrated and conversely Gary Clark is underrated.

The only argument I could see for this is the YPA. Marino was 9.5 when he broke the record, while Brees is 8.3 this year.

yeah, thats why he wont win MVP this year.

Archived